The Whippet is it the Ultimate Rabbiting Dog?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

no one breed or strain stands out, just individual dogs, and there are to many ways of using a running dog for rabbits, that's why no one can agree, and why an ultimate rabbit dog does not exist, the

my mate had a little whippet x called Dai,...3/4 whippet 1/4 bull,best little dog I've seen around nets and woodland ,hedgerow etc,tough as old boots and didn't miss much...id get 1 bred same way if I

Daytime rabbits hunted bolted and caught by one dog has to be the hardest form of rabbiting, but like bushing with a couple of dogs I find the most enjoyable......lots of missed rabbits and coming hom

Posted Images

as katchum says everyone wants different things from a dog. I have considered a straight whippet many times but always changed my mind and gone for the outcross. it depends what ground you work as well. I require a dog to work nettles, brambles etc. and still be quick enough for short runs. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, fred90 said:

as katchum says everyone wants different things from a dog. I have considered a straight whippet many times but always changed my mind and gone for the outcross. it depends what ground you work as well. I require a dog to work nettles, brambles etc. and still be quick enough for short runs. 

Whippets not great for a bit of bushing and working in rough cover then?

5 minutes ago, Allan P said:

Whippets not great for a bit of bushing and working in rough cover then?

I don't know that's what I am saying. I only keep little rabbit dogs and the outcross has always done it for me. plus I really don't see anything beating the Bedlington nose. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, fred90 said:

I don't know that's what I am saying. I only keep little rabbit dogs and the outcross has always done it for me. plus I really don't see anything beating the Bedlington nose. 

You work  1st cross bedlington?

Edited by Shortstraw

The best Rabbit dog  by far that I have ever seen  was a Whippet Bitch belonging to a mate of mine , I saw it catch 12 Rabbits on the trot this does not seem many with what some Lurchers can do on the lamp or with  Ferreted Rabbits these were Midlands Rabbits pushed out of Hedges and Woods by a Spaniel Cross the Bitch was around 18/19 TTS   and knew its job but as all Whippets it had a  Mouse's  Skin 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, micky said:

The best Rabbit dog  by far that I have ever seen  was a Whippet Bitch belonging to a mate of mine , I saw it catch 12 Rabbits on the trot this does not seem many with what some Lurchers can do on the lamp or with  Ferreted Rabbits these were Midlands Rabbits pushed out of Hedges and Woods by a Spaniel Cross the Bitch was around 18/19 TTS   and knew its job but as all Whippets it had a  Mouse's  Skin 

I would of believed you till you said it was Midland rabbits no dog can catch them

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
Just now, Shortstraw said:

Sound....are they your own line or do you buy in. I’ve always fancied buying one, but Ive always held back. 

One of my bitches mom was half bed x whip.

how you find them?

I have always bought in but will breed for my next pup. always had half cross but the next one will be three quarter cross. you see I don't lamp so I require dog's to be good in cover, reliably mark and be quick enough for short run rabbits and the outcross does this. 

3 minutes ago, micky said:

Good size for a whippet that......not keen on these 22 inch ones  you see these days...might as well have a lurcher.

• Like 1