Gundog lurchers

Just wondering if many people are working any gundog lurchers and how you are getting along with them. I just generally go on long walks with mine and see what happens.......don’t do lamping and ferreting these days. My springer x lurcher is doing just fine, although she can be sensitive to loud noises which can really ruin the day. 

I tend to get most of my kicks these days from appreciating my dogs hunting skills. Most of her catch’s are from her work style, she’s very stealth, never rushes into something. I remember when she was still a puppy she would spot squirrels playing near a hawthorn bush in the middle of a field. Never once did she jus fly over there, she calculated everything out to her advantage......wasn’t used to that,  most other dogs I’ve had would just sprint straight at them. 

Most of her catches to date have been through her hunting style rather than her out and out speed........

Shes  made a great mooching companion.

• Like 2

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was brought up around gun dog's. Check the Spinone out on my left... yes that's me!,?.... like the gadder between my knees??? I'm pretty sure i'm about ten there.. wich makes the photo abo

Make interesting dogs......bloody puppy pushers though.

Having springer in the mix has certainly added some hunting drive......easier to tra8n than the collie crosses I’ve had too, not that they were hard to train. She’s just so bright and eager to learn.

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Shortstraw said:

Just wondering if many people are working any gundog lurchers and how you are getting along with them. I just generally go on long walks with mine and see what happens.......don’t do lamping and ferreting these days. My springer x lurcher is doing just fine, although she can be sensitive to loud noises which can really ruin the day. 

I tend to get most of my kicks these days from appreciating my dogs hunting skills. Most of her catch’s are from her work style, she’s very stealth, never rushes into something. I remember when she was still a puppy she would spot squirrels playing near a hawthorn bush in the middle of a field. Never once did she jus fly over there, she calculated everything out to her advantage......wasn’t used to that,  most other dogs I’ve had would just sprint straight at them. 

Most of her catches to date have been through her hunting style rather than her out and out speed........

Shes  made a great mooching companion.

Sounds a useful bitch that mate ?

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, billhardy said:

IMG_20190702_145706.jpg

Cheers bill.....but I can’t seem to access pic....prob something wrong my end.

i also knew an old fella back around 1986 who also had two lab x whip....Sandy in colour, one was the spit of a whippet the other a bit more fuller figure. He used them mainly as ferreting/ hedgerow dogs and he seemed happy with them.

1 hour ago, billhardy said:

I would say chuck a gu. Dog breed in a mix of lurcher lurcher and one. Ighrt be surprised certainly fa a pot hunter mooching man where speed his of little relevance atb bill

It’s seems that way, she’s a great one for the pot dog. Mine was full springer bitch to tall lurcher.

I was brought up around gun dog's.

Check the Spinone out on my left... yes that's me!,?.... like the gadder between my knees???

I'm pretty sure i'm about ten there.. wich makes the photo about '86/87. 42 now?

My old man took the Spione on as a sapling.. poor dog had fell into the wrong hands so he go lucky, and came to us. There was seriously only a genuine hand full of these in the country at this time. What a hunter! No training required. All natural. Me and my school mate used to love setting him off into big 50 acre fields of winter wheat to find a seated hare.. wich he surly would. Like a machine.. working into the wind before coming on point. Then we would slip big Tess.. old school colly/grey x deerhound/grey.. 27". We used talk about putting him to a grey.. then back to a grey..? 3/4 bred.. nose and coat?

Probably just a pipe dream... like we all had as kids. He's a far cry from the show bred overweight Spinone's you see today..IMG_20190608_203323-2.jpg.262851893c52a7050a037d6a1cbc4d3f.jpg

P.s.. I loved that Lab.. lived to 14!! shown me some things.Old school. More like a Rotty!!  I'd have took a bullet for him..?

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Bush Rummager said:

I was brought up around gun dog's.

Check the Spinone out on my left... yes that's me!,?.... like the gadder between my knees???

I'm pretty sure i'm about ten there.. wich makes the photo about '86/87. 42 now?

My old man took the Spione on as a sapling.. poor dog had fell into the wrong hands so he go lucky, and came to us. There was seriously only a genuine hand full of these in the country at this time. What a hunter! No training required. All natural. Me and my school mate used to love setting him off into big 50 acre fields of winter wheat to find a seated hare.. wich he surly would. Like a machine.. working into the wind before coming on point. Then we would slip big Tess.. old school colly/grey x deerhound/grey.. 27". We used talk about putting him to a grey.. then back to a grey..? 3/4 bred.. nose and coat?

Probably just a pipe dream... like we all had as kids. He's a far cry from the show bred overweight Spinone's you see today..IMG_20190608_203323-2.jpg.262851893c52a7050a037d6a1cbc4d3f.jpg

P.s.. I loved that Lab.. lived to 14!! shown me some things.Old school. More like a Rotty!!  I'd have took a bullet for him..?

my mate got 2 Italian type hounds  , smooth coated  about 25 in strong build , great at retrieving  and finding game , got real soft type temps , so kid gloves with this type breed just carnt think of the name ? lol 

6 hours ago, bird said:

my mate got 2 Italian type hounds  , smooth coated  about 25 in strong build , great at retrieving  and finding game , got real soft type temps , so kid gloves with this type breed just carnt think of the name ? lol 

Bracco italiano