Gundog lurchers

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was brought up around gun dog's. Check the Spinone out on my left... yes that's me!,?.... like the gadder between my knees??? I'm pretty sure i'm about ten there.. wich makes the photo abo

Make interesting dogs......bloody puppy pushers though.

Having springer in the mix has certainly added some hunting drive......easier to tra8n than the collie crosses I’ve had too, not that they were hard to train. She’s just so bright and eager to learn.

Posted Images

10 hours ago, Tyla said:

I've said it before on here, my next lurcher will be a lab x. Won't be for a while yet but will happen.

I'd love to see how that breeding goes. I knew of a farm dog that was a lab whippet years ago. Not worked properly but looked smart.

3 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

I'd love to see how that breeding goes. I knew of a farm dog that was a lab whippet years ago. Not worked properly but looked smart.

Everything I've heard about them makes me think they would suit what I do. The proof will be in the pudding though.

12 hours ago, Tyla said:

Everything I've heard about them makes me think they would suit what I do. The proof will be in the pudding though.

I saw a beautiful lab lurcher few months back. Was told it was lab x whip, it def seemed  half lab, but it was much taller than straight whippet cross. It really was beautiful and not in slightest bit heavy. It was all black....looked to have good feet too.

• Like 1
On ‎06‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 16:32, C.green said:

Everyone whos had one reckons the lab crosses are decent old dogs. A spaniel cross would be sommat id like to see.

I saw two lab crosses both from the same litter, and both very different one light and fast the other cloddy but the cloddy one could catch a hare to be fair, he could hang on, I like the way my cockers hunt up and a dog that could run as well like you I would love to see.

15 hours ago, two crows said:

I saw two lab crosses both from the same litter, and both very different one light and fast the other cloddy but the cloddy one could catch a hare to be fair, he could hang on, I like the way my cockers hunt up and a dog that could run as well like you I would love to see.

The one concern I would have with spaniel in a lurcher would be how much time it would spend with it's nose 2mm off the ground and it's quarry mere yards in front of it making it's escape. :laugh:

If the dog learnt to use it's eyes as much as it's nose it could well be lethal and very biddable. I doubt I'd ever kennel a lab over a spaniel but I'd probably prefer a lab-lurcher over a spaniel-lurcher (based on no experience of either, lol).

But if I was going for something a bit different, like these gundog-lurchers, I reckon I'd most like to have a pup from the union of a good strong pat over a greyhound. Probably turn out a complete ignorant wanker compared to a gundog-lurcher! :laugh:

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

The one concern I would have with spaniel in a lurcher would be how much time it would spend with it's nose 2mm off the ground and it's quarry mere yards in front of it making it's escape. :laugh:

If the dog learnt to use it's eyes as much as it's nose it could well be lethal and very biddable. I doubt I'd ever kennel a lab over a spaniel but I'd probably prefer a lab-lurcher over a spaniel-lurcher (based on no experience of either, lol).

But if I was going for something a bit different, like these gundog-lurchers, I reckon I'd most like to have a pup from the union of a good strong pat over a greyhound. Probably turn out a complete ignorant wanker compared to a gundog-lurcher! :laugh:

Wouldn’t worry about it’s eyes. Mine isn’t nose down mad all the time, she’s got a good combination of covering ground, but also uses her eyes well. There’s plenty of times where she slowly moves to the area where she expects something to be, dropping her shoulders and freezing etc to get as close as she can be. Got the best working brain on a lurcher I’ve had for daytime hunting. Seriously mine uses its eyes well. I went for this breed as I need a dog who lives to hunt, some of the lurchers I’ve owned were not driven enough to go and find game when there wasn’t much about.....adding the springer in the mix has changed that. She’s caught all sorts.....really surprised me

• Like 2