Hi all , I’m looking for a new .243 . My intention is  to try and develop a load that will let me shoot light bullets at longer ranges than I do now . I know there are better rounds out there for long range shooting but I’ve got the .243 on my ticket and I can’t be arsed to change it . I’m looking at a custom job with a 1:8 twist . What are your opinions on this . All feedback is greatly appreciated. I am not much of one for reading data and experimenting.

If i was looking for a custom rifle i would speak to Mike Norris at Brock and Norris. I have been to his place with a 243 of my mates that wouldn't shoot right. He sorted it whilst we where there. His knowledge of rifles is excellent as is his workmanship. Having said all that a standard 243 twist is 1-10" and all mine have shot 55grn and 58grn bullets really well. How far do you want to shoot? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve been looking on Guntrader 

41 minutes ago, ianm said:

If i was looking for a custom rifle i would speak to Mike Norris at Brock and Norris. I have been to his place with a 243 of my mates that wouldn't shoot right. He sorted it whilst we where there. His knowledge of rifles is excellent as is his workmanship. Having said all that a standard 243 twist is 1-10" and all mine have shot 55grn and 58grn bullets really well. How far do you want to shoot? 

I’ve been looking at an RPA interceptor and it’s a 1:8 . I know a lot of .243 shoot 1:10 , I fancy the RPA and just wondered the logic of a 1:8 twist? What bullet weight does that twist stabilise? I’ve no doubt it’s a good accurate rifle . I want to shoot as far and as flat as I can without having to dial in . In my experience and on this ground , I won’t have time to take windage or check distance too often . 

1 hour ago, Sausagedog said:

That twist is very fast and suitable for heavy bullets and or very long bullets.

For light bullets you want less twist.

All my 243 rifles were one in ten and stabilized 60grn bullets perfectly.

Thanks sausage, that rules that out . So for a lighter bullet I would be better off with a 1:10 . I bet I end up with another Tikka . ?

Edited by shovel leaner
  • Like 2
9 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

I’ve been looking at an RPA interceptor and it’s a 1:8 . I know a lot of .243 shoot 1:10 , I fancy the RPA and just wondered the logic of a 1:8 twist? What bullet weight does that twist stabilise? I’ve no doubt it’s a good accurate rifle . I want to shoot as far and as flat as I can without having to dial in . In my experience and on this ground , I won’t have time to take windage or check distance too often . 

sausagedog is correct in saying a faster twist rate is to stabilise heavier/longer bullets. From what you say your limiting factor is not wanting to dial in so you need something point and shoot. The Tikka T3 supervarmint i had in .243 was about the same trajectory as my .204 if i used 55grn bullets in it. So basically the 204 is zeroed at 230 yds  which happens to be one inch high at 100yds and still on the body of a fox at 300yds. When i say on the body i mean if i shoot level with it's back i will hit it just above half way up it's chest. The 243 was very similar, infact i used it to shoot rabbits at 300yds fairly regularily.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

243 in my opinion is misunderstood. Due to dumb deer shooting laws born from "experts" every one used 100+ plus bullets but 243 was designed around 8 0 GRN bullets by Winchester and when used with 70-80 GRN bullets it shines.

My last 243 was a vanguard made by howa. It was a light weight with pencil thin barrel, lovely to carry and shot rested and off hand perfectly. The rifling was shallow and very kind on the bullet and it's terminal performance.

I use to get some good long shots in with that rifle too.

• Like 2
21 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

As already mentioned 1-8 is better for heavy bullets but you will not get a flat trajectory with that, but you will get distance and better energy retention.

The lighter bullets fly faster and flatter but speed and energy drops off quite quickly.

Sounds to me like 1-10 is more for you.

My T3 Hunter is 1-10, it does exceptionally well with 90g SP ammo, it is also brilliant with 58g V-Max, but they serve different purposes, and the 58g is so easy to shoot its unbelievable!

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Deker said:

As already mentioned 1-8 is better for heavy bullets but you will not get a flat trajectory with that, but you will get distance and better energy retention.

The lighter bullets fly faster and flatter but speed and energy drops off quite quickly.

Sounds to me like 1-10 is more for you.

My T3 Hunter is 1-10, it does exceptionally well with 90g SP ammo, it is also brilliant with 58g V-Max, but they serve different purposes, and the 58g is so easy to shoot its unbelievable!

Thanks for the feedback . The shoot I work on is very undulating with lots of bushes and hedges and brambles. The opportunities I get on foxes are fleeting and very often you haven’t got long before they disappear. It seems the more effective I am with Thermal and night vision , the foxes I’ve got left are “super sharp” and alert to your presence and anything they see as danger . I also find that I am now  wanting to take my shooting up a gear and am taking more of an interest in rifles and reloading. I have in The past just used them as a tool , got it out of the cabinet, shot foxes and put it away again and not given it a second thought . I have never shot a fox much beyond 200 meters , which considering the amount I shoot means that I am leaving foxes at 250-300 meters because I want to make sure of them at a closer range . If I could be confident at that range my life would be a lot easier. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. 

Edited by shovel leaner
2 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

Thanks for the feedback . The shoot I work on is very undulating with lots of bushes and hedges and brambles. The opportunities I get on foxes are fleeting and very often you haven’t got long before they disappear. It seems the more effective I am with Thermal and night vision , the foxes I’ve got left are “super sharp” and alert to your presence and anything they see as danger . I also find that I am now  wanting to take my shooting up a gear and am taking more of an interest in rifles and reloading. I have in The past just used them as a tool , got it out of the cabinet, shot foxes and put it away again and not given it a second thought . I have never shot a fox much beyond 200 meters , which considering the amount I shoot means that I am leaving foxes at 250-300 meters because I want to make sure of them at a closer range . If I could be confident at that range my life would be a lot easier. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. 

I shoot very few foxes past 200 metres, frankly the majority of mine are under 100. 

Obviously peoples situations/land/experiences are different, but for "most" people, LONG range (200m++++) foxes are the exception rather than the norm!

• Like 2

Personally and off what your saying bud I would want a light rifle not long in the stock, 6 or 7x fixed scope and practice shooting it off hand.

My old BDL in 222 comes to mind. Nothing was safe to 200 shooting it off hand. Nothing was safe to 300 rested.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Sausagedog said:

Personally and off what your saying bud I would want a light rifle not long in the stock, 6 or 7x fixed scope and practice shooting it off hand.

My old BDL in 222 comes to mind. Nothing was safe to 200 shooting it off hand. Nothing was safe to 300 rested.

I do nearly all my shooting from a vehicle. I wouldn’t dream of shooting off hand . I’ve got quad sticks for when I have to go on foot . I still manage to miss them now and then . I’m not bad at shooting off hand and do take the odd squirrel or rabbit with my 22lr but I can’t risk missing foxes and try to maximise my success with taking the greatest care to ensure a successful shot . Fair play to you though , that’s impressive . 

45 minutes ago, shovel leaner said:

I do nearly all my shooting from a vehicle. I wouldn’t dream of shooting off hand . I’ve got quad sticks for when I have to go on foot . I still manage to miss them now and then . I’m not bad at shooting off hand and do take the odd squirrel or rabbit with my 22lr but I can’t risk missing foxes and try to maximise my success with taking the greatest care to ensure a successful shot . Fair play to you though , that’s impressive . 

I don't shoot that far now. To old. Besides, I don't have a CF any more.

As Deker said, most my fox's are taken well under 100yds. In fact I took a few with a shotgun last winter and one of them was a muzzleloader!