6 hours ago, trapperman said:

On one of my garden contracts I’ve got dozens of mushrooms coming up in the lawn 

can anyone id them ? Are they safe to eat and if so how can I establish them at my smallholding ?

504CD39D-C007-4AC9-983B-67E18A14086A.jpeg

5C4F5C58-63FC-4951-82B1-F35192B2CBA3.jpeg

128C0BBF-DFA0-46B3-8896-DCEAF030C7DA.jpeg

66F96560-AED6-455A-B3E2-C7ECB6F6DB38.jpeg

8D4AC55C-1799-4FCB-98FB-EFAC2A3DFBAE.jpeg

89A79D59-BD6B-49F5-A74D-B6692F92270C.jpeg

Let them get bigger mate so they open up and can see the proper colour of the gills. 

I don't think they are Field Mushrooms the gills would be pink at that stage. Be careful mate.

Have a look at this site see if it's any help.

https://www.wildfooduk.com/mushroom-guide/

Cheers Arry

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dryad's Saddle common name Pheasants Wing. Found this big old one would be no good, but then on the opposite side were these young ones. Just took one as they are edible and only classed as fair.

Raining to day so gave the Ferreting a rest and went out foraging for Mushrooms etc. My ferreting mate stopped on the way to mine picked a load of nice Field Mushrooms, after a cup of tea we set off t

Giant polypore; cooked it with garlic, chives from the garden and prawns ?   Kids loved it 

Posted Images

Raining to day so gave the Ferreting a rest and went out foraging for Mushrooms etc. My ferreting mate stopped on the way to mine picked a load of nice Field Mushrooms, after a cup of tea we set off to the side of the Moor. Well fungi every were, didn't have a clue what a lot of it was. I just stick to the ones I do know and there was some good "Hedgehog Mushrooms" and under a Sweet Chestnut Tree there were six "Hen of the Wood's", over the moon with that. Lucky if I find one or two in a season, Found seven in the last two days.

Just two "Chanterelles" (the yellow ones)and the two with yellow stalks are "Winter Chanterelles"

P1210288.jpeg.b536406423077115d7e7d93714429631.jpeg

There are two different "Hedgehog Mushrooms" Both edible the creamy ones and the smaller terracotta coloured ones. Both have no gills but spikes instead.

P1210289.jpeg.01dfd2c7f1d8ca8b7cce982ba07dbb20.jpeg

IMG_0863.jpeg.b8851660cf9efea55872a856257e0198.jpeg

Cheers Arry

• Like 4
On 01/10/2019 at 08:57, trapperman said:

On one of my garden contracts I’ve got dozens of mushrooms coming up in the lawn 

can anyone id them ? Are they safe to eat and if so how can I establish them at my smallholding ?

504CD39D-C007-4AC9-983B-67E18A14086A.jpeg

5C4F5C58-63FC-4951-82B1-F35192B2CBA3.jpeg

128C0BBF-DFA0-46B3-8896-DCEAF030C7DA.jpeg

66F96560-AED6-455A-B3E2-C7ECB6F6DB38.jpeg

8D4AC55C-1799-4FCB-98FB-EFAC2A3DFBAE.jpeg

89A79D59-BD6B-49F5-A74D-B6692F92270C.jpeg

This one has been bothering me mate. I don't recognise it, its them bulbous long stalks. Been on the web and through my books and think it might be "The White Dapperllng". Not edible

See what you think mate.

https://www.zoology.ubc.ca/~biodiv/mushroom/L_leucothites.html

Cheers Arry

2 hours ago, trapperman said:

Could be mate I’ll try to mow round some and let them grow on and see if the gills change colour or anything

how long to grow to maturity for these sort of shrooms ?

I don't know mate as I'm not really sure what they are. One or two days I would have thought to get a mature one.

Cheers Arry

On 15/08/2019 at 15:04, Arry said:

This is "Wood Ear" it is edible, but I have never fancied it it looks like jelly.

IMG_0616.jpeg.3f062d36c21de20e9cd15c92773f08a5.jpeg

Cheers Arry

The one you call Wood Ear also goes by the name Jew's Ear and is used in stews to add thickness to the gravy. I used to use them when I was making a casserole or stew in the Kelly Kettle while out fishing. Just slice them up and add them into the liquid.

They seem to like elder and damp places.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Accip74 said:

Just picked these behind my sparrowhawks bowperch. Are they liberty caps?

image.jpg

Not sure myself, not always thought they had a little nipple on the top of the cap mate.

Cheers Arry

2 hours ago, Arry said:

Not sure myself, not always thought they had a little nipple on the top of the cap mate.

Cheers Arry

Yeah I think maybe just very very similar? I made that mistake with what I thought were Cepes a few years back, so I won’t be trying these! ?

By the way your posts inspired me to get the River Cottage Handbook that arrived today. I really want to learn more & know I’ve seen plenty of edibles, probably, but haven’t had the know how or bottle to try them...... apart from the ‘cepe imposters’ that is........cheers ?

6 minutes ago, Accip74 said:

Yeah I think maybe just very very similar? I made that mistake with what I thought were Cepes a few years back, so I won’t be trying these! ?

By the way your posts inspired me to get the River Cottage Handbook that arrived today. I really want to learn more & know I’ve seen plenty of edibles, probably, but haven’t had the know how or bottle to try them...... apart from the ‘cepe imposters’ that is........cheers ?

That brilliant mate. It's a good guide River Cottage Handbook. 

Cheers Arry

• Like 1