1st time ferrets

Alright lads and lady’s 

After a terrible year things are finally looking up for me and hopefully in 3weeks time I’m getting my first two ferrets kits . .two small hobs can’t wait. 

I was just looking for abit of advice, on stuff like bedding/feeding times and how much food. Exercise and any tips and tricks to keep my ferrets in top condition 

iv built a decent hutch for them with plenty of tubes sticks toys balls ect They will be out for a few hours a day too .I’m in no rush to start working them yet months before that but how would get them fit for work  is just general play enough or do you have a little work out for them like you do for you dogs ?

i know there’s loads of info online but I just want to hear it from people doing it 

Edited by green dragon

9 hours ago, green dragon said:

Alright lads and lady’s 

After a terrible year things are finally looking up for me and hopefully in 3weeks time I’m getting my first two ferrets kits . .two small hobs can’t wait. 

I was just looking for abit of advice, on stuff like bedding/feeding times and how much food. Exercise and any tips and tricks to keep my ferrets in top condition 

iv built a decent hutch for them with plenty of tubes sticks toys balls ect They will be out for a few hours a day too .I’m in no rush to start working them yet months before that but how would get them fit for work  is just general play enough or do you have a little work out for them like you do for you dogs ?

i know there’s loads of info online but I just want to hear it from people doing it 

Oh ffs your asking advice on Ferrets, fair play to you, but I know where this thread will go and very very fast hold on tight GD it could be a bumpy ride lol

Glad to hear your getting some ferrets...

As youve said just play and bond with them.

I put a gutted rabbit in and take it out the next day in summer and two days in winter but i have 6 ferrets make sure they been frozen first to kill fleas n ticks.

Plenty of tubes so they get used to going in holes but its second nature to them.

Get them used to your dog and vice verser.

Enjoy them.

FF

• Like 1
5 hours ago, green dragon said:

Alright lads and lady’s 

If you put it in the search bar you will get plenty of ideas and input of food bedding etc and do the opposite of what our team tells you and you will be half way there 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, delswal said:

Oh ffs your asking advice on Ferrets, fair play to you, but I know where this thread will go and very very fast hold on tight GD it could be a bumpy ride lol

I’m not arsed mate iv been on the group before I know ? 

Everyone has to start somewhere so what’s a few daft questions on a internet form if I get no advice so what I’ll learn as I go along ??

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Furrosious ferreter said:

Glad to hear your getting some ferrets...

As youve said just play and bond with them.

I put a gutted rabbit in and take it out the next day in summer and two days in winter but i have 6 ferrets make sure they been frozen first to kill fleas n ticks.

Plenty of tubes so they get used to going in holes but its second nature to them.

Get them used to your dog and vice verser.

Enjoy them.

FF

Cheers mate I freeze everything before anyway and my dogs stedy as they come there won’t be any problems 

Welcome to the crazy world of ferrets. As for food, there are many options but raw and whole prey is always best and as said above summer feeding is a bit different to winter feeding. Ferrets have a really fast metabolism  always make sure there is food available. As said not so easy in the summer. I've got ten ferrets so I give mine 2 rabbits early evening, by the morning there isn't much left and then in the morning I give them 2/3 pigeons or another rabbit, afternoon they get some quick and easy chicken carcasses. I'm lucky, mine all live in a shed with different areas and levels so I have an advantage of having 3 fans in there which the flies hate.

interact with them as much as possible and get them used to being picked up this will help when out working, as the last thing you want is a ferret that is scared of being picked up or scared of someone standing over them, which I've had and it was a nightmare. 

Also feeding raw and whole you get a bit less smell and a lot less poo.

hope this helps mate 

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, Lee farrington said:

Welcome to the crazy world of ferrets. As for food, there are many options but raw and whole prey is always best and as said above summer feeding is a bit different to winter feeding. Ferrets have a really fast metabolism  always make sure there is food available. As said not so easy in the summer. I've got ten ferrets so I give mine 2 rabbits early evening, by the morning there isn't much left and then in the morning I give them 2/3 pigeons or another rabbit, afternoon they get some quick and easy chicken carcasses. I'm lucky, mine all live in a shed with different areas and levels so I have an advantage of having 3 fans in there which the flies hate.

interact with them as much as possible and get them used to being picked up this will help when out working, as the last thing you want is a ferret that is scared of being picked up or scared of someone standing over them, which I've had and it was a nightmare. 

Also feeding raw and whole you get a bit less smell and a lot less poo.

hope this helps mate 

Brilliant mate just want I needed cheers