Venturing into pcp's and HFT

Hi all, 

After being an 'on off' sort of shooter for a good number of years now using a couple of nice springer's (TX200 HC, HW95K), I finally decided a few weeks ago to take the financial plunge into the world of the PCP. I shouldered a couple of rifles in my local shop, and even bought an HW110 (for a few hours), before returning it after deciding it didn't fit me as well as I'd have liked. I returned home for the second time, with my brand spanking new BSA Scorpion SE 177, in the beech stock.

With a fortnight in Mexico looming, needless to say the missus wasn't massively thrilled about me dropping £600 on a rifle - nevertheless, after some top class grovelling, Co-op's finest bottle of red, a night on the couch and a bit of hoovering, all seemed to be forgiven. Having never owned a pcp before, I still had nothing to charge it with though. I had made my mind up pretty early on that I was going to buy a pump, to save any trips to diving shops and periodic testing etc - however I felt that I'd probably be pushing it a bit far at the moment to announce that I'm just off to buy a 4th gen Hills pump - especially after just getting back into the big bed. 

A few weeks floated by then, and today I finally got my hands on the pump. I must say, what an absolutely solid bit of kit - very impressed. I charged the scorpion se up to 200bar (not going up to 232) and watched the gauge eagerly to make sure no air was being lost. All is well. I don't actually have time to shoot the thing today as unfortunately I have to work to pay for it now, but as they say you can't have your cake and eat it as well..(pretty sure that's a saying?). 

I've got a trip booked to a reasonably local club (40 mile round trip) on Monday to try out firstly my new gun, but also their facilities including a couple of HFT courses, that are apparently the dogs, as I'm hoping to be trying my hand in a bit of competition shooting pretty soon, and getting as much out of this recoilless wonder as I can in the future, and I'll no doubt be putting my tuppence worth into the forum as well. 

For now.. :)

Mark 

IMG_20190629_110132.jpg

Edited by maha87
  • Like 4

37 minutes ago, timmytree said:

Very nice, but you could have saved a lot of money by buying a BSA with the Gamo name on it. Coyote, GX40 and Phox are pretty much identical action but a lot cheaper. Still made in Birmingham by BSA.

The Phox with pump, scope, silencer and bag is under £500, GX 40 bare recently was under £300 and the woodstocked Coyote is £400 or less. Basically the same rifles but with a different name.

Thanks mate, 

I've nothing against gamo at all or anyone who has them.. But they're just not for me, I'm not really a fan. I've had a few shots of a phox silenci before and I didn't like the fit and finish, I didn't like the trigger and I didn't like the safety. Not to mention the overall look of the gun! As far as I'm aware as well the hills pump especially with the dry pack fitted, will do a much better job of keeping the internals dry? I'm a firm believer in getting what you pay for... Although I hope I'm not proved wrong here ?. Cheers, Mark. 

44 minutes ago, M0SAD said:

Great guns mate...i have a few BSA's myself and they get plenty of outings looking for bunnies. Enjoy your rifle bud. :boogy:

Thanks mate, I'm looking forward to getting out with it and putting it through its paces! Read a few times that they love jsb exact diabolo 4.53's... I have the 4.52's and a selection of others, but might need to buy a tin and give them a bash. 

Thanks for the reply M0SAD ?

• Like 1

JSB Exacts are always worth a go. My BSA Ultra SE Cayenne is hardly pellet fussy but definitely favours Exacts in 4.52 flavour. I guess it's the old "Try a few types through your barrel and see what it likes", that's have the fun though. When you find it's favourite pellet you'll be squeezing shots off with total confidence and that's a big part of it as no doubt you already know. Enjoy your rifle fella. :yahoo:

• Like 1

They're nice Rez huh ?

I could have sold a springer or two to pay for it, but I knew I'd miss them so I didn't part with anything. Sold my TX200 HC a few years back, and regretted it ever since ?

• Like 1

Just had the scorpion out for the first time at the club lads, could not be happier ?

It's really very windy where I am just now, so I stuck to the 25yd indoor range today. After some pellet testing, (jsb exact 4.52, Falcon accuracy plus, air arms field diabolo) surprisingly it was the RWS superdomes that were giving me the best results! I was shooting at the usual 25mm and 15mm targets, and have put a few pics of my groupings at the bottom. BSA scorpion se, absolutely fantastic. ❤️

Pic one - 3 shots 25mm target 

Pic two - same 3 shot group with another 2 shots into it making 5 shot string 

Pic three - 3 shots 15mm target (second from top) 

Bottom pic - 10 shots full magazine 

RWS superdome. 

IMG_20190701_125238.jpg

IMG_20190701_125729.jpg

Screenshot_20190701_151130_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

IMG_20190701_120001.jpg

Screenshot_20190701_154807_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Edited by maha87
  • Like 2
8 minutes ago, bigmac 97kt said:

Nothing wrong with a scorpion in my eyes

cranking rifles

i should know iv had a few lol

atvbjimmy:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

ccccc5 (2).JPG

kkj9 (7).JPG

scorp (4).JPG

Very nice bigmac, I did consider the tactical version but chose beech in the end. Really nice setups mate, cheers for the pics ??