Eventful fishing trip

Was out  sea fishing yesterday with my kids, everything was going well, sun was shining, we had been out swimming, was catching a few fish, radio was on etc. Me and the kids got the shock of our lives some poor chap was floating face down in the sea and things had obviously gone wrong for him not going to say too much out of.respect for his family but shouted for help and a couple of passers by helped me carry him out of the sea and onto the beach which was difficult as waves were high and sea well choppy. Gave him CPR until ambulance arrived. Police said they would be in touch and let me know what happens would be over the moon if he makes a recovery as my little lad keeps asking me if he is alright.

Am supposed to be off out sea fishing on my kayak in about an hour's time and it will certainly be on my mind although I always wear life jacket etc. 

Fingers crossed he makes it, am still a bit in shock its all a bit surreal.

• Like 6

Fecking hell and good man for trying and been there myself with a dead person trying to pump life back into them and it ain't nice,you did what you could mate and if he don't make it then that's the way it is and there was nothing more you could do.Just make sure your kids are ok in their heads about it and one good thing that will come from it is they will never go out to sea without life jackets as they seen what can and does happen..Take care of yourself also and again good one for trying.:good:

• Like 1
10 hours ago, fireman said:

Fecking hell and good man for trying and been there myself with a dead person trying to pump life back into them and it ain't nice,you did what you could mate and if he don't make it then that's the way it is and there was nothing more you could do.Just make sure your kids are ok in their heads about it and one good thing that will come from it is they will never go out to sea without life jackets as they seen what can and does happen..Take care of yourself also and again good one for trying.:good:

Couldn't have worded it better myself mate. We spend most of our spare time doing sea related activities my kids are like little otters but its always safety first. We have only just got back after having a cracking day out with family on kayaks fishing and snorkelling which has taken  their minds off yesterday's events.

It's a shame for the poor chaps family though. I must have counted about 10-15 kids today right out on those inflatable kayaks with no life jackets on had a word with a couple of the parents about yesterday, so hopefully some good will come out of it. 

Cheers for the replies lads ?

• Like 3
2 hours ago, wilbs said:

Couldn't have worded it better myself mate. We spend most of our spare time doing sea related activities my kids are like little otters but its always safety first. We have only just got back after having a cracking day out with family on kayaks fishing and snorkelling which has taken  their minds off yesterday's events.

It's a shame for the poor chaps family though. I must have counted about 10-15 kids today right out on those inflatable kayaks with no life jackets on had a word with a couple of the parents about yesterday, so hopefully some good will come out of it. 

Cheers for the replies lads ?

Have to admit i was out on a boat today and it took me 10 mins to think about you and that prompted me to hurry up and get my life jacket on and should have put it on before i even got in the boat like i normaly do,good on you for getting them back on the water and nice one for trying to explain to some parents to.How did you do fishing as i had a not so bad day and me and my pal landed a 1/2 dozen Bass of around 3lb just trolling some rapala's.

Had plenty of small fish and managed 2 decent sized bass and my little lad got 3 mackerel. I just fish for pleasure following the coast on kayaks with the family and a bit of beach fishing when we stop for a bit of food.

My Mrs has contacted the RNLI to see if they have any leaflets etc on falling into cold water that we can hand out whenever we are at the beach or I can arrange to get some printed myself as a lot of people think that just because they say their kids can swim they will be alright and go 100-150m out on lilos, dinghies etc with no life jacket on.

Been out again today and it's surprising after talking to people on the beach how many adults can't actually swim and then they let their kids go right out! 

The sea is great fun as long as everyone is aware of the dangers etc ?

• Like 2

Good effort for doing the CPR bit Wilbs. As you say, the sea is great fun but people need to be aware of the risks. Things can go wrong quickly. A bit of knowledge and some common sense and people wouldn’t get caught out. Glad you are catching a few fish. I kayaked across that stretch to Portsmouth a few weeks back. Wind and tide can catch people out there! ?

Freshwater area out to the needles is my favourite. 

40F9C66C-2E74-4F0E-A6D9-DE67B602D4D6.jpeg

Edited by white van man
  • Like 4

I can remember you mentioning that before crossing the Solent, I often look across and think one day lol but there's a lot of big bloody boats ?

Another weekend of lovely sea fishing and kayaking just finished. Think I've just found the perfect place or maybe 30 mins of good luck. Went for 3 hours and had 3 rods out off the beach, ragworm on one, mackerel and sandeel on the others, 2.5 hours with not even a nibble so moved a bit further up the beach next to a sea wall in half an hour had 4 good size bass, had a ray of some kind but came off just before I got it to shore as had a 6 or 7lb bass on at same time and a few whiting will definitely be going there again as none stop bites. I nearly stopped the night and cancelled work lol ?

Edited by wilbs
  • Like 1
21 hours ago, wilbs said:

I can remember you mentioning that before crossing the Solent, I often look across and think one day lol but there's a lot of big bloody boats ?

Another weekend of lovely sea fishing and kayaking just finished. Think I've just found the perfect place or maybe 30 mins of good luck. Went for 3 hours and had 3 rods out off the beach, ragworm on one, mackerel and sandeel on the others, 2.5 hours with not even a nibble so moved a bit further up the beach next to a sea wall in half an hour had 4 good size bass, had a ray of some kind but came off just before I got it to shore as had a 6 or 7lb bass on at same time and a few whiting will definitely be going there again as none stop bites. I nearly stopped the night and cancelled work lol ?

Try to look at tide runs as well as i was out saturday at a usual spot that producess ok for us and for a few hours we had feck all but once the tide run kicked in we boated a few and with bass there a shoal fish so go back round in a big loop as you can spook them and you might very well hook into another one..

Thanks for the advice fireman, I'm itching to get back out lol ?

I've been watching loads of videos and reading up about how to catch Conger eels what bait and tackle to use etc as I have never seen one 

• Like 1