• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kay, if your cat is used to dogs, that's half the battle won! the problem i had with Gyp & my original bunch of cats was that they'd never seen a dog before & were terrified, wouldn't put him in his place. he was absolutely fine with my kitten, and when she grew up & had kittens, fine with them too. it's taken me a while to break him to mums feral cats, but he only goes near them once or twice a day, so it's been a long process, but now he doesn't even look at them. if your cat has somewhere safe to run to & hide if the dog gets a bit much, he'll break to it in no time. keep him on the lead in the cats company for a while so you can correct his behaviour, keep a close eye on him for a while after that, and don't leave them together when you're not around to keep an eye on them until you're confident they'll be ok together.

he sounds like a good sort of dog for you! :good:

Is he still looking for a home?

If you could get him to Blackpool then i could squeeze him in here with me as a sofa hugger.My mother has a retired Greyhound bitch and lives next door to me - he will live indoors and be assured comfort,love and saftey for life many a people on here can vouch for my dog ownership .

Edited to add mums bitch is spayed and family pet only you can see her pics on www.greyhound-data.com - dog search Apline Delight - thanks

Edited by FastDogz
Is he still looking for a home?

If you could get him to Blackpool then i could squeeze him in here with me as a sofa hugger.My mother has a retired Greyhound bitch and lives next door to me - he will live indoors and be assured comfort,love and saftey for life many a people on here can vouch for my dog ownership .

Edited to add mums bitch is spayed and family pet only you can see her pics on www.greyhound-data.com - dog search Apline Delight - thanks

likewise if you can get him to devon i know of a 1st rate home waiting with big sofa!!

In that case farlap hes all your should the owner be able to get him to you - best of luck ! - If still needed Pm me cheers :drink:
sorry he as been on here ages and lurcherlink are taking him in have a word with them you still might be able to have him thanks anyway

The lurcherlink people are very helpful I have to say, I was going to shoot my young bitch recently due to not being up to scratch in several areas :thumbdown: to be honest I am still not 100% convinced its not the right thing to do. The optimistic part of me says that it would be nice for reject no use lurchers to have somewhere to go and live out their days as pets/companions, the pessimistic part of me says why should they deserve to live when there are so many better dogs out there that are desperate for a home? :thumbdown: and if the dog is of absolutely no use to me, ie too slow, no stamina, not got what it takes, what possible use it it going to be to someone else unless they have very minimal standards? Its a very difficult decision to make, no one can tell you what to do, and no one should judge you for what you do as a bullet is certainly quicker and more humane than a lifetime of being passed around and never really fitting in.

SJM, the dogs on lurcherlink never get passed from hom to home. The odd and very rare occasion a dog does not work out as a pet (rare for a lurcher not to make a good pet) they are returned within days back to the foster home they came from.

Lurcherlink is not like a normal cat & dog shelter, if they were a hap hazzard charity i would not back them as i have done so for several years (fussy mare me!) Everyone who knows me, knows how much i think of my dogs, and if something happened to me i would have no hesitation whatsoever asking Lurcherlass and the people on lurcherlink to have any of mine.

These people pay fortunes on the best behaviourists and trainers, research, and use the very best methods of feeding, vet and holistic care.

Have a look on the forum, i have yet to see any of the dogs lying full stretch on peoples settees, walking on the beach in the wood, looking miserable, and some of these people also work, semi work/mooch with their dogs. Some keep their dogs fit and active, lure racing etc etc.

Every dog deserves a second chance, just because it is a 'reject' at working does not make it a less deserving dog, it is no better or no worse than a dog needing homing because of overbreeding, or a failed pet?

Donated ex workers are snapped up as pets for the simple reason they are usually very well trained, well adjusted dogs.

Have a look at the link Scallywag put up people, you may learn alot, i know i have :good:

Moll.

Great news that LL are taking him on!!! :boogie:

With them you can rest assured he will have a home for life - and lifetime rescue back up should the home not work out he will be returned to LL and then found a more suitable home.

SJM i must say your comment about "better" dogs needing homes - to me ALL dogs should be given a 2nd chance as a family pet should they not live up to standards in there working field...admittedly there is the horrific chance they can be pushed from pillar to post cos some knobhead who wantd a free nice looking dog got illsuions of granduia only to find the poor dog isnt for them - but rehoming a dog as pet via networks and rescues like Lurcher Link pretty much assure the dog is netured,vacced,homechecked,chipped and placed with the correct owner for that dog and if it isnt to be the dog will have rescue back up for life. :thumbs:

So i would strongly urge people in the future to just maybe give this option some consideration :drink:

All the best to everyone and this dog :drink:

The optimistic part of me says that it would be nice for reject no use lurchers to have somewhere to go and live out their days as pets/companions, the pessimistic part of me says why should they deserve to live when there are so many better dogs out there that are desperate for a home? :thumbdown:

SJM, you're talking about failed workers, they do deserve to live as they make bloody good pets.

The pessimistic side of you is comparing a failed worker to dogs that have never worked, and have only ever been bred as pets- are they really better?

I hope you have an optimistic head on and let her go. :)

I dont know where your getting the bit about dogs bred as pets, I dont know anyone who breeds lurchers as pets? allthough there probably are people out there who do. I was actually talking about lurchers which have been good workers and have become injured, or are retired, sometimes you see them offered up to pet homes, to live out their days in comfort. IMO these dogs have earned that right by proving themselves through their work.

At the end of the day we have to do what we feel is right by our dogs, and thats precisely what I will do, completely uninfluenced by anyone other than myself and my own judgement :thumbs: