To shoot or not to shoot

21 hours ago, kelpieferreter said:

Was called last night by a farmer. He was cutting silage and 4 foxes were playing in the newly cut grass oblivious of all the machinery. He wanted me to come over and shoot as many as I could. So off I went rifle in the landrover over to the permission. By the time I arrived he was in another field, didn’t take long for me to spot the foxes. There were indeed 4 foxes but they were young cubs not much larger than your neighbourhood cat. I decided not to shoot them as they were so young. I know if he found out he’d probably think I was an idiot. I do agree they may not be a problem now but when they grow up they will be creating havoc. I’ll give them a few months and tackle them when they are wiser and had time to grow. What’s everyone’s opinion on this? 

No shooting done but with a night like this does it really matter? 

5B4D60DD-C9E4-4294-B5C4-3EBA3561BB70.jpeg

The deciding factor for me would have been that your permission owner actively asked you to sort these 4. 

• Like 2

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You don't do this very often do you! This is a very common area I have to deal with, people keep a few chickens at home, almost as pets, the children commonly look after them and are usually firs

I shoot as Pest Control, I wouldn't get any work if I didn't shoot.  Why would you wait for a pest to grow up before stopping it?

I tend to look at it this way . I don’t like killing foxes when they’ve got litters of cubs . Because if you kill a milky vixen then unless you can find the earth and deal with the cubs they will star

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

Commendable for having a conscience though, mate. I hate hearing folks talk about foxes like scum. :good:

I haven't heard people doing that but if they are then they're the scum. You should always respect your prey whatever it is. 

Foxes are beautiful creatures and in the right setting are wonderful animals to observe. They also have a place to play in the co system keeping animals such as mice down and clearing up the dead and injured.

The only reason we're out shooting them is because there's an abundance of them in the wrong places, and when in the wrong places, such as on a poultry farm, or fields with young lambs etc, they can be very destructive. The unfortunate reality is foxes often don't kill to eat but for pleasure. Given them access to a hen house and they'll kill 100 birds, not one, and may even walk off without a meal.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
49 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

Commendable for having a conscience though, mate. I hate hearing folks talk about foxes like scum. :good:

Do they, I'm not aware that is a common comment.

I have a lot of time for the fox, they are clever, cunning, shrewd and "can" be a challenge, they can also look great.

Never stopped me pulling the trigger though!

:thumbs:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
58 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

It's not sport rifling foxes. Just flatten them at whatever time causes the least suffering.

Understandable holding off on the vixen if you hadn't time to do the job properly.

The vixen never gave me a clear shot. I could hear her in the hedge calling them back. Didn’t see her until she was crossing the field behind. 

1 minute ago, Deker said:

Do they, I'm not aware that is a common comment.

I have a lot of time for the fox, they are clever, cunning, shrewd and "can" be a challenge, they can also look great.

Never stopped me pulling the trigger though!

:thumbs:

Where did I say it was common?

Lads, ffs you don't work for the BASC press team. :laugh:

2 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

Where did I say it was common?

Lads, ffs you don't work for the BASC press team. :laugh:

"I hate hearing folks talk about foxes like scum"

Just there, folks is plural, that is more than one. 

Your comments were indicative of several rather than singular!

• Like 1
Just now, Deker said:

"I hate hearing folks talk about foxes like scum"

Just there, folks is plural, that is more than one. 

Your comments were indicative of several rather than singular!

Several still ain't common. :laugh:

Have a day off. I was praising the fella for his sense of morality when most would have not given a toss because Mr farmer wants something dead and at worst I have known a few to really not give a f**k how a fox meets it's end. If you haven't then I can't help you.

• Like 2

I tend to look at it this way . I don’t like killing foxes when they’ve got litters of cubs . Because if you kill a milky vixen then unless you can find the earth and deal with the cubs they will starve. But if they are doing damage and killing livestock, then they should be dealt with and every effort should be made to find and destroy the litter. Personally I start on them when they are “on top” and starting to hunt independently, mousing etc . But I try to get the parents first , because the cubs are easier to deal with . None of us I’m sure take “pleasure “ in the killing of any creature, and the fox is indeed a beautiful and beguiling animal. But personally, I find it a challenging and interesting pursuit, my job would be boring if it was not for foxes , I take satisfaction dealing with a troublesome and elusive foxes . Be it shooting, snaring, or with the terriers. 

• Like 5
6 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

Several still ain't common. :laugh:

Have a day off. I was praising the fella for his sense of morality when most would have not given a toss because Mr farmer wants something dead and at worst I have known a few to really not give a f**k how a fox meets it's end. If you haven't then I can't help you.

Just to nit pic but you said talk about them like scum .. and decker said “ common comment “ as in they call them scum wich you didn’t imply you said “ talk about them like  scum “  

so 1 point to you lol 

• Confused 1
10 minutes ago, Elchapo said:

Just to nit pic but you said talk about them like scum .. and decker said “ common comment “ as in they call them scum wich you didn’t imply you said “ talk about them like  scum “  

so 1 point to you lol 

:laugh::thumbs:

15 hours ago, Alsone said:

The unfortunate reality is foxes often don't kill to eat but for pleasure. Given them access to a hen house and they'll kill 100 birds, not one, and may even walk off without a meal.

I can think of another species very guilty of that too....

• Like 2
On ‎28‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 08:49, Alsone said:

I haven't heard people doing that but if they are then they're the scum. You should always respect your prey whatever it is. 

Foxes are beautiful creatures and in the right setting are wonderful animals to observe. They also have a place to play in the co system keeping animals such as mice down and clearing up the dead and injured.

The only reason we're out shooting them is because there's an abundance of them in the wrong places, and when in the wrong places, such as on a poultry farm, or fields with young lambs etc, they can be very destructive. The unfortunate reality is foxes often don't kill to eat but for pleasure. Given them access to a hen house and they'll kill 100 birds, not one, and may even walk off without a meal.

You don't do this very often do you!

This is a very common area I have to deal with, people keep a few chickens at home, almost as pets, the children commonly look after them and are usually first to notice the carnage in the morning and get all upset.

That's when I get a call from distressed parents, they also commonly say just what you have, and add they have cleared up the mess and remaining bodies, only for me to tell them to put them back.  The fox will be back the following day in 90%+ of cases to collect the rest, he will take everything he can, what he can't actually bury he will cover with leaves or whatever as best he can.  The fox will NOT walk away from food unless there are exceptional reasons, the fox will eat a rotten carcass covered in maggots, he doesn't care, and has a cast iron stomach.

That is the reality.

Edited by Deker
  • Like 6
43 minutes ago, Deker said:

You don't do this very often do you!

This is a very common area I have to deal with, people keep a few chickens at home, almost as pets, the children commonly look after them and are usually first to notice the carnage in the morning and get all upset.

That's when I get a call from distressed parents, they also commonly say just what you have, and add they have cleared up the mess and remaining bodies, only for me to tell them to put them back.  The fox will be back the following day in 90%+ of cases to collect the rest, he will take everything he can, what he can't actually bury he will cover with leaves or whatever as best he can.  The fox will NOT walk away from food unless there are exceptional reasons, the fox will eat a rotten carcass covered in maggots, he doesn't care, and has a cast iron stomach.

That is the reality.

Foxes are a wild creature who have evolved as a predator/ scavenger . Problems arise when they encounter a food source in an unnatural environment, such as a hen house or pheasant pen . They encounter an unnatural quantity of prey with little or no ability to escape. The result is what we see as wanton vandalism and needless killing. We can’t put our own values on to a wild animal, it’s only acting on instinct. Whenever I’ve encountered large scale killing you can see some attempts made at burying bodies and concealing under tree roots etc . They will always be back later . They are simply killing and storing food just as we do . The worst offenders I’ve found are cubs . The farmer whose poultry farm I shoot foxes on , told me that once a fox got shut in a hen house one night and just curled up and went to sleep, and only killed and ate one chicken in a unit that housed 15,000 birds .

• Like 1