Late stags?

I'm going to have to get nearer my quota on the cull this year, I aint seeing any about though.

Is it just the weather? I'm usually seeing healthy heads, and young bucks wondering; but so far they must be still in the hills?

If we're losing weeks, months? Can we get an extension for this season?

We have our quotas, but the seasons are changing, and the beast are just adapting to the change.

Just constructive thoughts, cheers.

I'm North West Scotland, 58 degrees North BTW.

Edited by Gav

Well  brought 7 cams in after 6 days out, and nothing!

We've just gone from 9c to 27c overnight?

this season is guna be fun, not!

Edited by Gav
  • Like 1
  • 3 months later...
8 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

Sorry I missed this Gav.

How did it pan out in the end?

SD.

Total washout mate, admired a few from afar but never bagged any. On the hinds now so we''ll see if I get out after the rut when they come in.

• Like 1

The fallow bucks have been a nightmare so far too. I'm at the opposite end of the country but same problem. A combination of a change in agriculture to maize and a really good mast year has ment there has been no reason for them to ever leave cover. I've been reduced to trying to snipe them as the cross the headlands or trying the stalk them in the woods. The stalking is great sport but is alot of work for limited results when you have a full number to achieve. The maize is finally being cut now so hopefully I will be able to catch up

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Tyla said:

The fallow bucks have been a nightmare so far too. I'm at the opposite end of the country but same problem. A combination of a change in agriculture to maize and a really good mast year has ment there has been no reason for them to ever leave cover. I've been reduced to trying to snipe them as the cross the headlands or trying the stalk them in the woods. The stalking is great sport but is alot of work for limited results when you have a full number to achieve. The maize is finally being cut now so hopefully I will be able to catch up

Stalking fallow in thick coppice/wood is great sport, proper hunting. Because it's hard, ha, so I can appreciate it makes life difficult from a management perspective.

Maybe try moving them to Rifles in seats?

11 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

Stalking fallow in thick coppice/wood is great sport, proper hunting. Because it's hard, ha, so I can appreciate it makes life difficult from a management perspective.

Maybe try moving them to Rifles in seats?

Yeah, there is a big difference between sporting stalking and a determined effort to reduce numbers. One is enjoyable and one can feel like work after a while. I snuck out to the woods this evening and got another youngster from amongst a group of does. Not sure whether he was holding them or just chilling with them, he was very unrutty for a buck at this time of year but there didn't seem to be a bigger buck with them

20191022_180245.jpg

• Like 3

The rut seems all over the place at the moment , one estate has started the other one not a sound .

We managed three yesterday but it was hard work , nothing was out early after three hours and only seen a doe and fawn , 

20191022_174428.jpg

This one from a seat , I shot another on the way to the seat ..

• Like 2
10 hours ago, C.green said:

Quite a rubbish one for your bit of the country sussex ? Seen some real big lads down your way.

I’ve never shot a decent one mate , in all the time I’ve been stalking I’ve only ever seen half a dozen really good bucks none of which I shot ...

• Like 2
On 23/10/2019 at 19:12, sussex said:

I’ve never shot a decent one mate , in all the time I’ve been stalking I’ve only ever seen half a dozen really good bucks none of which I shot ...

Was out one night lamping rabbits when I were a lad. Found two bucks intent on killing each other on a windy night. I was able to sneak right up to them . They were oblivious of me feet away with a dim red light. I was so close I had to back up a few times and distinctly remember watching the shock waves rippling down their bodies as the locked antler at speed. It was awesome.

• Like 1