Howa Rifles...my new .223?

Thinking of getting a new .223. So, obviously I've had a bit of a look around and perused different manufacturers. Looked at Savage, Ruger, Remington etc...The other day a guy at the club asked if i'd looked at any Howa rifles and upon hearing no suggested that I do so. A quick look on the net and I came across this, the Howa Oryx Varmint Stealth II. comes as a package with scope and mod. Any thoughts on this rifle guys? Anyone ever used or even seen one before?

l_oryx_1.jpg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Correct! it isn't rusty.

Is that your toilet roll you carry with you stav? I only take a pocket full just in case you know. It must be a chore carrying a full roll ?

Plastic stocks ? What about the environment? Who wants plastic stocks washing up on the beach? Disgusting!

Posted Images

Yeah I hear you on that, my CZ has a nice wood sporter stock as does the Savage 110. Fancied a change I guess. Do you think it has the "Crying out for help" look about it delswal lol ??

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, M0SAD said:

Yeah I hear you on that, my CZ has a nice wood sporter stock as does the Savage 110. Fancied a change I guess. Do you think it has the "Crying out for help" look about it delswal lol ??

It has the sitting on a high building selecting your target look about it ?

like david I’m also a fan of the tikka, I also love a plastic gun, wood for me belongs on a shotgun ?

590F67F4-CE92-48BA-A9F6-8E7CC876E1BC.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
Just now, Sausagedog said:

Is that your toilet roll you carry with you stav? I only take a pocket full just in case you know. It must be a chore carrying a full roll ?

That was taken on curry night mate, you can never be to careful ?

• Haha 4
6 hours ago, M0SAD said:

Thinking of getting a new .223. So, obviously I've had a bit of a look around and perused different manufacturers. Looked at Savage, Ruger, Remington etc...The other day a guy at the club asked if i'd looked at any Howa rifles and upon hearing no suggested that I do so. A quick look on the net and I came across this, the Howa Oryx Varmint Stealth II. comes as a package with scope and mod. Any thoughts on this rifle guys? Anyone ever used or even seen one before?

l_oryx_1.jpg

It looks a functional type of rifle although it wouldn't be my choice of calibre. Tikka rifles are definately worth considering.

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys, I have heard good things about the Tikka T3X. Some great rifles you have there Stavross and David, love the stainless barrels, maybe I will go that way when I put in for a .308. 

Sausagedog, reassuring to know that Howa are pretty good, thanks.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

That's why I always wear two pair of socks, benny boy scout! 

• Haha 4

Have a look at the Sauer 100 , they do this rifle in a “keeper package “ in 223 . These are great rifles . The barrels are made in the same factory as Blaser , I think Mauser are as well . I’ve looked at this rifle and it’s really nice , the trigger is spot on and it has a great 3 point safety.  But if Money isn’t an issue what about a Blaser ? Here’s another that I’m looking at the Sauer  Pantera , that is a really nice rifle for longer range shooting. As others have posted Tikka take some beating and i have one in 223 and it shoots tight groups and the bolt is smooth and the trigger is good . Don’t know anyone who has  a Howa but the Weatherby Vanguard is made in the same factory and doesn’t shoot well , they only guarantee 1.5 MOA at 100meters . The Howa in the picture looks like something a navy seal shot Osama bin laden with FFS , it might be alright if you are abseiling  from the bottom of a helicopter on a special mission though ??

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
17 hours ago, M0SAD said:

l_oryx_1.jpg

Have you got a link?????

Can't seem to find much on these, looks interesting, I'm in the market for a new .223!

Cheers

14 hours ago, Stavross said:

It has the sitting on a high building selecting your target look about it ?

like david I’m also a fan of the tikka, I also love a plastic gun, wood for me belongs on a shotgun ?

590F67F4-CE92-48BA-A9F6-8E7CC876E1BC.jpeg

Theres a ghost in your kitchen mate!!

Your bolts on the wrong way round too ????

Have to agree about composit, all mine are plastic now, I used  to love wood stocks and all that work that went with them, I got old though an canny be bothered any more, so much easier and durable the plastic of today.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1