18 yr old HW80 .22 COMES OF AGE.

Well chaps my HW80 .22  will turn 21 in September this year. And inspite of the lousy weather over Lincolnshire this evening, I went out to a farm permission for a long walk with the old girl and see what was about. 

Soon as I left my car and shouldered my HW80 it was out into fields full of damp grasses and rapidly soggy shooting trousers but, ain't that part of the charm? The smells of wild herb and damp meadow grass were wonderful as I approached a favourite area of woodland. 

Straight out of the undergrowth bolted a young rabbit not yet full grown; but old enough! He stopped dead on the pathway track and dropped dead a second later. Bop! Landed him clean out at 43 yards kneeling, with about 1.5 mildots holdover from my original 25 met./27 yard zero.. I thought I was on for a good night but it turned out  this was the only rabbit of the evening. Shouldering my 80, the old girl felt as comfortably familiar as a comfy pair of slippers. Jimmy BigMac97k has made this beautiful rifle a masterpiece with the stock refurbishment and buttpad he carried out for me. 

It is a mark of this man's wonderful kindness and generous friendship to Helen and myself that has embedded itself into my treasured rifle. I just pick it up and the smell and feel of the oil finishing on the stock is like having Jimmy out with me. 

So to Jimmy, again my dear friend. Thank you for what you have done for me with this one-of-a-kind HW80 .22. It is a legacy of your kind good hearted friendship I carry in my HW80 now. Though it's been a fair while since I have been out to get some shooting in with any of my rifles, it's done me a lot of good to be out this evening and to be with this HW80 makes it all the more special. She was the first serious air rifle I had in many years to get back into serious hunting after time spent on building a business and keeping the roof on.

21 years old and still packs an almighty punch with its powerful charge behind the 5.53mm H&N FTT it loves. And still phenomenally accurate after what must be thousands upon thousands of shots through her barrel.

That's my bit for now gentlemen. Warmer dry weather coming our way next week. Then I may get to bag a few more with this treasured rifle.

Thanks for reading.

All the best to one and all here.

Simon/Pianoman.

• Like 5

On 26/06/2019 at 02:20, pianoman said:

Well chaps my HW80 .22  will turn 21 in September this year. And inspite of the lousy weather over Lincolnshire this evening, I went out to a farm permission for a long walk with the old girl and see what was about. 

Soon as I left my car and shouldered my HW80 it was out into fields full of damp grasses and rapidly soggy shooting trousers but, ain't that part of the charm? The smells of wild herb and damp meadow grass were wonderful as I approached a favourite area of woodland. 

Straight out of the undergrowth bolted a young rabbit not yet full grown; but old enough! He stopped dead on the pathway track and dropped dead a second later. Bop! Landed him clean out at 43 yards kneeling, with about 1.5 mildots holdover from my original 25 met./27 yard zero.. I thought I was on for a good night but it turned out  this was the only rabbit of the evening. Shouldering my 80, the old girl felt as comfortably familiar as a comfy pair of slippers. Jimmy BigMac97k has made this beautiful rifle a masterpiece with the stock refurbishment and buttpad he carried out for me. 

It is a mark of this man's wonderful kindness and generous friendship to Helen and myself that has embedded itself into my treasured rifle. I just pick it up and the smell and feel of the oil finishing on the stock is like having Jimmy out with me. 

So to Jimmy, again my dear friend. Thank you for what you have done for me with this one-of-a-kind HW80 .22. It is a legacy of your kind good hearted friendship I carry in my HW80 now. Though it's been a fair while since I have been out to get some shooting in with any of my rifles, it's done me a lot of good to be out this evening and to be with this HW80 makes it all the more special. She was the first serious air rifle I had in many years to get back into serious hunting after time spent on building a business and keeping the roof on.

21 years old and still packs an almighty punch with its powerful charge behind the 5.53mm H&N FTT it loves. And still phenomenally accurate after what must be thousands upon thousands of shots through her barrel.

That's my bit for now gentlemen. Warmer dry weather coming our way next week. Then I may get to bag a few more with this treasured rifle.

Thanks for reading.

All the best to one and all here.

Simon/Pianoman.

Your more than welcome Simon any time my old friend

had my heart in my mouth when doing the stock off your beloved hw80

i know how much it meant to you more than any other rifle you have

and when it was returned to the action still with its original factory bluing in a1 condition it was a testament to your good self on how you looked after your rifles 21yrs old and she still looks good .

The gold fleck was hidden with the factory stain and lacquer and just needed to be brought back out and put on show walnut stain was the way to go and if i say so my self she looked stunning and topped off with the bis adjustable pad 

was a must and finished the job just nicely Simon

sent you a pm my old friend

atvbjimmy:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

PS ,,for those of you that did not see this thread a few years ago

P040211_12.14_[01].jpg

P040211_12.15_[01].jpg

P040211_12.15_[02].jpg

P040211_12.15.jpg

P040211_15.22_[02].jpg

P060211_09.42.jpg

P090211_00.25.jpg

P150211_09.58_[02].jpg

P130211_08.32_[01].jpg

P230211_19.16_[03].jpg

P230211_19.16_[02].jpg

P230211_19.16_[01].jpg

• Like 1

Simply stunning, beautiful work there Jimmy.  :yes:

You two have got me thinking about finding an old HW80 now to compliment my old 1986 mk2 HW77 :hmm:  another one of Jimmy`s stocks on this HW77 lads.:good:

IMG_1303.JPG.42df16556eb5f7f723560e041eff836c.JPG

atb  Mark

• Like 2
13 hours ago, mark williams said:

You two have got me thinking about finding an old HW80 now to compliment my old 1986 mk2 HW77 :hmm:  another one of Jimmy`s stocks on this HW77 lads.:good:

atb  Mark

She still looks stunning Mark

needs a bis butt pad to finish her off mind

• Like 1
On 29/06/2019 at 07:43, mark williams said:

atb  Mark

Gave her the mat look Mark wire wooled the shine out of her

wanted her to have that old worn look to go with her age

she looks her age but shoots like a modern pcp 

ill keep a look out for a hw80 original long barrel like Simons for you

a fixer upper

ps,,she still needs a bis butt pad

P270313_20.33.jpg

• Like 1