Jump to content

Kelpies as a stud,


Recommended Posts

It's like kelpie and collie u will always get ad ones collie crosses have been called shit for the last few years because they are not the in thing and kelpies will go the same way they will have the people that say they are everything  and u will always have there critics u just stick with them and prove them wrong

  • Like 2
Link to post

  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

few pics of the bitch whilst we was out evicting some night time squatters in the hay bales 😁

My pup today ......  

👍

Posted Images

1 minute ago, troyboy17 said:

It's like kelpie and collie u will always get ad ones collie crosses have been called shit for the last few years because they are not the in thing and kelpies will go the same way they will have the people that say they are everything  and u will always have there critics u just stick with them and prove them wrong

 

Aye very true.

Just for the record I was talking about pures, not lurchers. And was referring to working sheep and cattle.

 

Link to post
Just now, SheepChaser said:

 

Aye very true.

Just for the record I was talking about pures, not lurchers. And was referring to working sheep and cattle.

 

It doesn't matter matter if it is pure or lurches u with alway have different options 

Link to post
11 minutes ago, troyboy17 said:

It doesn't matter matter if it is pure or lurches u with alway have different options 

Very true. 
 

It’s also true that there is just a lot of shit kept in every working breed. And although some things will suit some folk and not others..... some dogs are just poor at their jobs.

With the vast majority of poor stock dogs, it’s down to training and handling. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
On 10/01/2020 at 04:56, Chunky11 said:

I have spoken to a few sheep farmers around here who have Kelpie x Collie's. I'm not sure why they cross them but they seem to do the job. Perhaps the pure Kelpie is to much to train! 

When I bought my first kelpie cross back in (I think) '97 (!/4 kelpie 1/4 collie 1/2 greyhound) another guy (called Phil I think and from North Wales) was picking one up too and he described a pure kelpie as "Too much of a real dog for most people."

Eighteen months later I bought a pure one as I loved the differences I noticed in the lurcher compared to previous collie cross lurchers I'd either owned or met and while I can see what he meant I think it's more a case of accepting a dog who wants to do it his way (and is usually right) whereas the British mentality tends to prefer a biddable dog which does as it's told. Just my opinion.

  • Like 5
Link to post
42 minutes ago, Neal said:

When I bought my first kelpie cross back in (I think) '97 (!/4 kelpie 1/4 collie 1/2 greyhound) another guy (called Phil I think and from North Wales) was picking one up too and he described a pure kelpie as "Too much of a real dog for most people."

Eighteen months later I bought a pure one as I loved the differences I noticed in the lurcher compared to previous collie cross lurchers I'd either owned or met and while I can see what he meant I think it's more a case of accepting a dog who wants to do it his way (and is usually right) whereas the British mentality tends to prefer a biddable dog which does as it's told. Just my opinion.

I thing you have it spot on. My last collie died on the first of December & was 19 years old. He came off a farm on Exmoor & was going to be put to sleep when he was 12. He had been kenneled all his life. I took him home & couldn't ask for a better dog. 

I only keep a few sheep to follow behind the horses & don't think I would have the work for a Kelpie but do wonder if a first cross would do the job of a lurcher & the occasional bit of work on sheep. 

  • Like 1
Link to post

In all honesty - and I am not knocking the kelpie at all, I think in most cases here in the UK the best of the collies would make most of the kelpies about look average. There isn’t much you can do with a kelpie here that you couldn’t do with a collie.

In my honest opinion it’s mainly due to the desire for something different and especially something from down under. 
 

Having said that, there are a hell of a lot of average collies being bred, so I think some people go for a Kelpie in the hope of getting something a bit more raw. The reason for the kelpie x collies is probably because there are a lot more collies about to put a kelpie over than other kelpies and the price tag on a x breed is a fraction of what kelpies are sold for, because they are fashionable.

I am not knocking kelpies at all and would kennel some of the good ones I’ve seen, but have never seen one do anything a collie couldn’t do.

I have a four year old kelpie / collie bitch that I use as a yard dog - speaks on command etc. Handy thing.

Link to post
30 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Well as far as the cross goes they are deffo different to nearly every half x collie I ever been around 👍

This I do not doubt, I think the blood joins really well with a greyhound and pretty much every kelpie blooded runner I have seen has been a smart and handy beast! 

I think maybe a part of it, is that fact that the quality of collies has gone down a fair bit. A lot of them have no bottle any more. A lot of people wouldn’t like my collies and find them too grippy,  hard and nasty lol.

I am not knocking kelpies, just musing on what I’ve seen in my day to day work. And it’s maybe just because I’m comparing them to my own dogs, where there maybe isn’t a whole lot of difference! 

Edited to add - the best kelpies I’ve seen here have been imported from Scandinavia randomly! 

Edited by SheepChaser
Link to post
29 minutes ago, TOMO said:

ive only just this second rememberd who sheep chaser is.....how ya keeping buddy?

Haha yes it is I.

Never could find my password for the old account after a few years away.

I am keeping well, living in the land of the enemy haha. But there is more game down here than you could wish for, so me and the dogs are happy enough! 
 

Hope you’re well, it’s good to see that sine if the old guard are still going. 

  • Like 1
Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...