Kelpies as a stud,

21 minutes ago, jigsaw said:

not in the least,very passive ,very obedient ,and very available to the right man lol

You still prefer the bitch to the dog then jig. Any particular traits which you wanted, or you just intended keeping a bitch before they were born? 

From what I've seen, was a lovely litter altogether, but that bitch ?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My pup today ......  

Few recent pics of my pup, looking more lurcher like now, picks everything up very quickly 

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, shaaark said:

You still prefer the bitch to the dog then jig. Any particular traits which you wanted, or you just intended keeping a bitch before they were born? 

From what I've seen, was a lovely litter altogether, but that bitch ?

i decided to keep a bitch before they were born,my last kelpie x was a bitch and she suited me down to a t ,i really want to keep the dog too but id prefer if it went to a good man/woman  that could provide an action packed life for it ,as im struggling here to find any decent numbers of rabbits at all...plus trying to get obedience into them is time consuming ,what with the storms the last month and I being sick for a bit ,i have not done as much as id like ...theres nothing between them shark other then their sex ,and they live to please...

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, jigsaw said:

i decided to keep a bitch before they were born,my last kelpie x was a bitch and she suited me down to a t ,i really want to keep the dog too but id prefer if it went to a good man/woman  that could provide an action packed life for it ,as im struggling here to find any decent numbers of rabbits at all...plus trying to get obedience into them is time consuming ,what with the storms the last month and I being sick for a bit ,i have not done as much as id like ...theres nothing between them shark other then their sex ,and they live to please...

Yep I get you, I prefer bitches myself. And can only echo what you've said, re rabbit numbers, storms/flooding, lack of time etc, very grim. 

Hope you can get that pup a decent owner, he looks a cracker too ?

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, keepdiggin said:

Ideal for sheepchaser imo 

I’d love one for sure. But I currently have 9 dogs in the kennels, a pup and one of the above dogs is hopefully in pup, and a few of the above dogs are head cases in training that to anyone else would be a bullet job, but for me are work ? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
On 03/03/2020 at 01:21, Silversnake said:

I only just saw this message now (I don't get on here much these days) but I always like hearing your Kelpie stories. For some reason my Kelpie doesn't like to jump, I have been trying to gradually get him higher and higher, then I try get him to jump on the ute or over a fence and he doesn't want a bar of it! Anyway I was playing with him in the backyard and he starts barking his 'serious' bark and I shone the torch over the back fence, which is about 6ft high and saw a fox. Because he is young and learning I fired him up thinking it will confirm to him they are quarry and to be pursued and he launched at the 6ft high fence got his front legs over the top and climbed up and over! He won't jump a 3ft fence when I tell him. They certainly are smart arses...

Sorry for going slightly off topic Jigsaw but I thought a reply to this would sit better here than as a P.M.

Thanks for the compliment Silversnake. I definitely know what you mean about their attitude e.g. the fence jumping in that they certainly can't see the point in bothering with some things. My first lurcher was a beardie x greyhound and her attitude was similar. I thought she couldn't jump for months but she was simply saying, "why bother when there's a hole in the fence three yards away or a slightly shorter section of dry stone wall over there." I've found it is possible to make a kelpie do something you want when it doesn't want to but they'll keep asking, "Are you sure?"

Re the temperament of the dog pup Jigsaw: I've been saying for the last twenty years, every time somebody tells me that kelpies are hyperactive and don't have an off button, that mine are all calm and easy going and very low-maintenance dogs...and then I got Ned. He's not two yet so there's plenty of time for him to calm down and find his adult temperament but he's SO bloody positive about life it's draining. He always reminds me of Buddy the elf in the film Elf with Will Ferrell, especially that bit when he tries to cuddle a raccoon. He has no understanding that there are any humans or dogs who don't want to play with him and be jumped all over. Absolute nutter! We have two friendly black cats in our road who like him and literally wind themselves around his front legs whenever they meet so his super positive attitude to life makes him assume that every cat is the same and he can't work out why every other cat runs away from him. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

I’m still more than happy way her mate, bit full on at times but I’d rather that than having to coax her into stuff ?

My bitch is the same, half mad at times but no nerves, the dog pups steadier... She's looking fab