Kelpies as a stud,

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My pup today ......  

Few recent pics of my pup, looking more lurcher like now, picks everything up very quickly 

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

Just read through this thread. Gives you a bit of hope for the dog game haha.

Fairplay, cracking, well thought through litter that! 

And looks like you got a good Kelpie - there is some shit about, they are the new 'cool' thing, along with huntaways.

which could have disastrous effects on the cross bin time,...thanks for the comments

2 minutes ago, jigsaw said:

which could have disastrous effects on the cross bin time,...thanks for the comments

Aye, try true.

Amongst the farming world - its cool to be a Kiwi. And so therefore anything Kiwi is cool. So Kelpies and Huntaways have become very popular. They have some awesome attributes and hence why they are used a lot overseas (one being heat tolerance in the Kelpie making it a better dog for Oz etc), but a lot of the ones you see over here are really poorly trained and handled and then of course after that, is the whole pumping out pups for the big bucks they fetch thing. Kelpie pups go for crazy money!

I'll give you an example - on one of the big estates where we contract farm, there are four kelpies, owned by three different people. Three of them are currently useless ornaments, which they travelled a long way for and spent a huge amount on as pups. They look cool though.

My collies and curs dont look half as cool, but they do the job.

Luckily, I've seen enough real good Kelpies and Huntaways to know how good a good one can be!

• Like 1

It's like kelpie and collie u will always get ad ones collie crosses have been called shit for the last few years because they are not the in thing and kelpies will go the same way they will have the people that say they are everything  and u will always have there critics u just stick with them and prove them wrong

• Like 2
1 minute ago, troyboy17 said:

It's like kelpie and collie u will always get ad ones collie crosses have been called shit for the last few years because they are not the in thing and kelpies will go the same way they will have the people that say they are everything  and u will always have there critics u just stick with them and prove them wrong

Aye very true.

Just for the record I was talking about pures, not lurchers. And was referring to working sheep and cattle.

Just now, SheepChaser said:

Aye very true.

Just for the record I was talking about pures, not lurchers. And was referring to working sheep and cattle.

It doesn't matter matter if it is pure or lurches u with alway have different options 

11 minutes ago, troyboy17 said:

It doesn't matter matter if it is pure or lurches u with alway have different options 

Very true. 

It’s also true that there is just a lot of shit kept in every working breed. And although some things will suit some folk and not others..... some dogs are just poor at their jobs.

With the vast majority of poor stock dogs, it’s down to training and handling. 

• Like 1