Kelpies as a stud,

3 hours ago, dogmandont said:

What you waffling about now Bill ye demented ole halfwit. ???

3 hours ago, billhardy said:

Feck off ya tazzeeeee atb Tb bill

Dogmandont, the asian saluki/cur type ? kin el  I'm f***ing howling with laughter here!! The mrs is gonna throw summin at me now lol

• Haha 2

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My pup today ......  

Few recent pics of my pup, looking more lurcher like now, picks everything up very quickly 

Posted Images

19 hours ago, socks said:

Well well what do you know bill here’s a video of working Kelpies and Strangely enough they all look pretty much the same shape as the picture jigsaw put up .......

Great video Socks and a very good point well made.

Although there is a show breed called the Australian Kelpie it's a completely different animal to the Working Kelpie and, as such (apart from those aspects which help it perform its job in a variety of situations and climates) they're pretty varied in appearance. My first looked like a cross between a collie/husky and whippet but not an even spread: the front half was the collie/husky and the back end was a whippet. My second looked like litter wastage from a collie/greyhound x collie/greyhound mating and I was often asked by lurcher owners, "What was the greyhound crossed with?" My third looked like a Manchester Terrier and occasionally went to ground. 

The ones on this video and the sire to Jigsaw's pups look much more like the late great Abernant Jim who looked remarkably pregnant for a male but was a great dog on cattle and he features multiple times in the breeding of my current two...which could account for their chunkier build.

The other thing to note in this video is the distance off the cattle. So may people rave about working sheep and cattle dogs which plough in and take hold whereas this is often a sign of weakness and a good kelpie will usually just say, "I'm over here but I'll give you some time and space to make your own mind up but I'd suggest you go over there."

• Like 3
14 minutes ago, Neal said:

Great video Socks and a very good point well made.

Although there is a show breed called the Australian Kelpie it's a completely different animal to the Working Kelpie and, as such (apart from those aspects which help it perform its job in a variety of situations and climates) they're pretty varied in appearance. My first looked like a cross between a collie/husky and whippet but not an even spread: the front half was the collie/husky and the back end was a whippet. My second looked like litter wastage from a collie/greyhound x collie/greyhound mating and I was often asked by lurcher owners, "What was the greyhound crossed with?" My third looked like a Manchester Terrier and occasionally went to ground. 

The ones on this video and the sire to Jigsaw's pups look much more like the late great Abernant Jim who looked remarkably pregnant for a male but was a great dog on cattle and he features multiple times in the breeding of my current two...which could account for their chunkier build.

The other thing to note in this video is the distance off the cattle. So may people rave about working sheep and cattle dogs which plough in and take hold whereas this is often a sign of weakness and a good kelpie will usually just say, "I'm over here but I'll give you some time and space to make your own mind up but I'd suggest you go over there."

So are you saying there's welsh sheepdog in the kelpie's history, or border collie types that were also used in wales? Got to be honest  I'm finding the history etc of these various collie/sheedog types quite fascinating ?

Oh yeah, abernant is in camarthen, west wales, which is why I asked ?

Edited by shaaark
  • Like 2
5 minutes ago, shaaark said:

So are you saying there's welsh sheepdog in the kelpie's history, or border collie types that were also used in wales? Got to be honest  I'm finding the history etc of these various collie/sheedog types quite fascinating ?

No, sorry for the mix up. Although most kelpie studs have typically Australian sounding names (Karrawarra, Boanong, Karana etc) same are named after places where their ancestors came from hence Abernant. Having said that, I've often thought the Welsh Sheepdog character is more akin to a kelpie than a Border Collie...but then again you could say the same about a curly coated retriever and I'd be very surprised if they were related!

3 minutes ago, Neal said:

No, sorry for the mix up. Although most kelpie studs have typically Australian sounding names (Karrawarra, Boanong, Karana etc) same are named after places where their ancestors came from hence Abernant. Having said that, I've often thought the Welsh Sheepdog character is more akin to a kelpie than a Border Collie...but then again you could say the same about a curly coated retriever and I'd be very surprised if they were related!

Lol no probs. Yeah some welsh sheepdogs I've seen have been far more, well I don't know how to describe it really, but sort of getting the job done, wether it be sheep or cattle  with less eye and the stalking 'threatening' look, if that makes sense?

My ex had a welsh sheepdog that we got from jonathon davies, I think, in aberystwyth.  Used to be chairman of the welsh sheepdog society, think it was 2003ish. The sire of the pup she picked was a tall, rangy athletic dog, black and tan with scarcely any white on him. Absolute belter he was. Anyway, starting to ramble now, the gin is kicking in lol ?

• Like 2