Light Spin Rod Advice

Right, so I've got a little 7ft 4pc travel rod that was for trout/salmon in New Zealand. It's really light tackle type thing (2-4kg line) and obviously limited by it's length.

I want to piss about with it in the UK but given that I basically packed up fishing ten years ago I'm looking for some suggestions on where I might have a fighting chance with it. Given that fresh water trout is more bother than it's worth in this country I'm thinking of a bit of 'close range' spinning around rocks at the coast etc... Be nice to catch a few bits to eat, mackerel would be great sport.

Am I pissing into the wind with such light gear?

rodset.jpg

fish2.jpg

19 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Why is trout more bother then they worth mate? Up here it’s 28 quid for a rod licence an 28ish for snriver licenve an some best trout fishing ever,  much easier to get s couple hours on trout then any other fish about here?

Just all the day ticket nonsense and how happy fishery owners would be about spinning.

Is that on rivers mate? Around here I'd be hard pressed to find handy trout fishing. If it was accessible for me then I'd do it but I'm just not getting all serious over it, ya know. Just be nice to have the rod in the motor when I'm about my travels for half hour or so opportunistic casting. I'll be going Cornwall soon and I'm often in Dorset etc.

Basically, given the sort of setup I've got, what would folks be doing?

8 hours ago, Nicepix said:

Find an estuary and give the mullet a go. Also flounder will take spinners when fished slowly close to the bottom.

Tip a mepps number 3 with harbour rag and your'll get them grabbing it rather than following it in and where mullet swim so do bass .. :thumbs:

Be fine for a bit of mackerel spinning or Pollack off the rocks...nice evening high tide and soft lures for Pollack or a small wedge type for the mackerel will see you alright..may even pick up a bonus bass..

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, NEWKID said:

Be fine for a bit of mackerel spinning or Pollack off the rocks...nice evening high tide and soft lures for Pollack or a small wedge type for the mackerel will see you alright..may even pick up a bonus bass..

Bang on! Cheers. I'd be happy as nailing a few mackerel or pollack.

1 hour ago, W. Katchum said:

Didn’t realise it was that hard to get on rivers down there mateX they ten a penny here an pretty good aswell from lil wild brownies up in dales streams right into the salmon seat trout bigger brownies an pike an perch further down river, loads farms here have an honesty box ye rock up stick a 5er in an crack on or pay ye 30 quid for the year an fish the club stretches, but aye, fcuk them fisherys?

I wish it was like that down here. LOL

• Like 1

I have quite a few rods but my favourite, and the one I've caught most on, is a really light 5'6" 4 piece. Spinmatic by daiwa I think. I've caught pike, perch, roach, chub, carp, tench, trout, bass, wrasse, Pollack and mackerell on it. Mostly on soft plastics but have fished bait on it too. Being a 4 piece it packs down to nothing too so you can be subtle about where you go 

• Like 1
On 25/06/2019 at 18:15, W. Katchum said:

Didn’t realise it was that hard to get on rivers down there mateX they ten a penny here an pretty good aswell from lil wild brownies up in dales streams right into the salmon seat trout bigger brownies an pike an perch further down river, loads farms here have an honesty box ye rock up stick a 5er in an crack on or pay ye 30 quid for the year an fish the club stretches, but aye, fcuk them fisherys?

I might have to get a bit more info off you in the future mate. I was up the dales yesterday for the day. It's only couple hours drive and if it's a straightforward as you say I'd certainly be interested in a few day trips.

Ive a Wychwood rod that I use with micro lures great fun for knocking about with  taking perch and rudd not had a trout yet but that's on the cards , could do with a smaller reel to balance it better though 

• Like 1