Up at the pheasant shoot this morning for some pre season jobs, as usual my mates little lad Hugo wanted to come a long, he looked very disappointed when he was told the quad wasn’t coming out the shed, so after I’d done the repair to the trailer I needed to do, we went for his first shooting lesson with the little.22 rimmy, set out at 45 yards and under strict supervision from his dad and myself he managed to get a few shots on paper, so now apparently we are going out hunting? I think it might be a little time before that will be happening, but all good things come to those who wait and them that behave themselves ?

13786110-2CAE-44C2-A9AB-1AD31EB77771.jpeg

8C06B5A6-9F05-4585-8D96-D6C01C598DAA.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

He’s almost 5, he’s a little sod when he’s at home but as soon as he’s out with me or his dad he’s a different lad, I had Him out beating on the pheasant shoot last season and he loved it, some people have said he’s to young but for me as long as he has his ear defenders, is safe and enjoying himself that good enough for me 

• Like 5
1 minute ago, Sausagedog said:

That's is just brilliant mate. Well done you ?

Cheers mate, I like to take him out because he normally asks questions I know the answer to, which makes me feel intelligent ? I think he’s on my level 

i just thought I’d mention that the picture where he is on his own with the rifle, there’s no bolt in it ?

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Stavross said:

He’s almost 5, he’s a little sod when he’s at home but as soon as he’s out with me or his dad he’s a different lad, I had Him out beating on the pheasant shoot last season and he loved it, some people have said he’s to young but for me as long as he has his ear defenders, is safe and enjoying himself that good enough for me 

Couple of young uns beat on our shoot and theyre respectful ,careful and funny make us old farts smile

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Baldcoot said:

Couple of young uns beat on our shoot and theyre respectful ,careful and funny make us old farts smile

We are the same on our shoot, I think they get so much out of it and really want to be there, so even kids that are not the best behaved at school or home are really respectful and behave how they are expected to, knowing that if they mess about they won’t be back, it’s nice when they want to be like you and gain the knowledge to do something they enjoy, the right way, we have a lad who started with us about 6 years old and now at 13 he’s a full member and his PlayStation mates always ask to come up with him because they want his outdoor life

• Like 2

A 15 year old lad I befriended on a shoot ended up being a work colleague for several years. We had loads of shooting fun and banter.

He now has his own kids and loves them to bits. Him and his wife are active shooters and so are his children.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I can’t think of another pursuit that instils an understanding and respect for wildlife and the countryside like shooting does and the younger we can get them involved the better in my view, nothing better than free range kids ?

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Stavross said:

I can’t think of another pursuit that instils an understanding and respect for wildlife and the countryside like shooting does and the younger we can get them involved the better in my view, nothing better than free range kids ?

Hear hear

• Like 1

Always good to see the youngsters coming through. :thumbs:

On a similar note I have a lad in my rifle club, I think he's 9 now, maybe 10, shoots F Class for junior Team GB (the junior team has a name, I think its called Dolphins but I'm probably way off the mark)  but likely to be in seniors within days.  Shot in 1000 yard competition with other Team GB squads last week and excelled all round, beating many much older and more experienced Team members!

• Like 5