I believe part of the Sensitivity collie x's is due to their brain. They pick up training very quickly, which is one of their good points. But its a double edged sword. Over do a correction/raised voices etc, and they don't forget. Even if its only once. Recently the better collie based lurchers I have had anything to do with have either had a touch of terrier in them too, or have been bred from mongrelised collies, that have had all manner of influxes over the generations.

• Like 3

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I enjoy nothing more than been out with my young Collie/Greyhound 

I had a collie x whippet/grey and sensitive was the last thing you could say he was  he was the result of an old hard mangy border collie getting to my mates whippet grey at the auction mart and

The Mongeral wheaton grey collie grey 1985   

Posted Images

Always liked the collie cross first dog i had of my own was only 15 was walking down the street one day with my mate and his deerhound greyhound when a bloke pulled up in a van and asked if we wanted to buy a Lurcher was a strong looking dog he said it was a collie greyhound wanted 30 quid for it so me and my pal bought him patch was his name so next morning up first light out we headed got about an hour into our mooch next thing this dog went into a hedge and brought us a nest full of chicks with its head in the air so it didn’t spill any we thought what the f**k so gave us the nest next thing ran of into a long field we thought where’s he gone next thing it comes bouncing out with a hare walked up to us dropped it at our feet and just mooch of mad day that was atb longers01 

• Like 1

Enjoy your dog mate I hope it brings you as many good memories as mine  My first ever lurcher was a collie grey great little bitch kill a few hares in day scale a deer fence kill draw fox work the sling point retrieve lamp the lot remember a few lads out one day a terrier i breed had was one if not the best terriers to be around here Cher many will no her kill as much rabbits as any dog  lurcher even she was passed about I got her she was old when I took her on she killed a ferral cat the day I bought her she could climb any dog kennel a evel b prone to biting anyone you set her on she killed loads hares running way the lurchers a one in a lifetime dog she get you the jail in this modern climate anyway her son to a bullrussel was in on a fox patch skippy another bitter c**t would stay at stuff for days we were young long before locators hard we dog anyway after a few hours the vixen bolted now there’s 3 28inch lurchers there all of so called legends everyone jacked the vixen jumpted of a cliff into a river my wee bitch and patch straight in we managed to get them out after climbing down i wish I still had her not all in that litter done teeth but the ones that did loved it a few were used on hunts way hounds and were well worked to your modern cowards her pup was the best dog I ever owned to the Wheaton he only had three legs had a pin in one  no muscle at alll loads seen him him out heavy teeth anything he mullered it would pick hedgehogs up and crunch them clever we dog I don’t believe there is blood as good these days around not a chance the travellers dogs were well worked to the limit way the pits ect things change so do people we are weak a man walking down the street way a hare ect is not actepabale we have came to far from what we were will I stop will I f**k enjoy your summer lads I still hunt for the pot kill fox on shoots it’s in my blood I enjoy pest control not hunting for pleasure that’s who I am coursing hares and sticking your chest out was never going to get me anyware I Took the other path  long ago ??most of them things are cowards anyway ?enjoy your summer lads won’t be long till we’re back out on the moors gone are the days of young lads hitting your window way stones early morning for a day’s hunting is it for the better not a chance we had the best ?

• Like 4
7 minutes ago, Bearfoot said:

Enjoy your dog mate I hope it brings you as many good memories as mine  My first ever lurcher was a collie grey great little bitch kill a few hares in day scale a deer fence kill draw fox work the sling point retrieve lamp the lot remember a few lads out one day a terrier i breed had was one if not the best terriers to be around here Cher many will no her kill as much rabbits as any dog  lurcher even she was passed about I got her she was old when I took her on she killed a ferral cat the day I bought her she could climb any dog kennel a evel b prone to biting anyone you set her on she killed loads hares running way the lurchers a one in a lifetime dog she get you the jail in this modern climate anyway her son to a bullrussel was in on a fox patch skippy another bitter c**t would stay at stuff for days we were young long before locators hard we dog anyway after a few hours the vixen bolted now there’s 3 28inch lurchers there all of so called legends everyone jacked the vixen jumpted of a cliff into a river my wee bitch and patch straight in we managed to get them out after climbing down i wish I still had her not all in that litter done teeth but the ones that did loved it a few were used on hunts way hounds and were well worked to your modern cowards her pup was the best dog I ever owned to the Wheaton he only had three legs had a pin in one  no muscle at alll loads seen him him out heavy teeth anything he mullered it would pick hedgehogs up and crunch them clever we dog I don’t believe there is blood as good these days around not a chance the travellers dogs were well worked to the limit way the pits ect things change so do people we are weak a man walking down the street way a hare ect is not actepabale we have came to far from what we were will I stop will I f**k enjoy your summer lads I still hunt for the pot kill fox on shoots it’s in my blood I enjoy pest control not hunting for pleasure that’s who I am coursing hares and sticking your chest out was never going to get me anyware I Took the other path  long ago ??most of them things are cowards anyway ?enjoy your summer lads won’t be long till we’re back out on the moors gone are the days of young lads hitting your window way stones early morning for a day’s hunting is it for the better not a chance we had the best ?

Yeah boy

On 23/06/2019 at 11:55, fred90 said:

neighbour of mine had a labradorxgreyhound 30 years ago it killed everything and I mean everything not seen one before or since. 

Very good underrated dogs when from the right stuff..

• Like 1
On 25/06/2019 at 22:17, poxon said:

I suppose it depends on the types of nature the dogs that was used in the breeding of your dog mate you could take a stab in the dark An guess were the sensitivity came from but your never know tbh unless you know all the dogs on a personal level in the breeding. I’ve never known a bedlington x to be sensitive tbh I’ve been round quite a few over the years head strong or strong willed yes but never sensitive 

My one is abit of a soft tart but never really had to be hare on him as like youve said there easy to bring on but if someone is shouting he's gone. I've been looking into wheaton x's latey that's a possible one for me in a few more years 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Saltmoon said:

My one is abit of a soft tart but never really had to be hare on him as like youve said there easy to bring on but if someone is shouting he's gone. I've been looking into wheaton x's latey that's a possible one for me in a few more years 

People shouting mines not bothered it don’t fase her one bit. Sounds a good cross mate what way bred you look at? I should be picking my new pup up in about 5 weeks I’m really looking forward to training another pup up 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, poxon said:

People shouting mines not bothered it don’t fase her one bit. Sounds a good cross mate what way bred you look at? I should be picking my new pup up in about 5 weeks I’m really looking forward to training another pup up 

Not sure really I'd like something along the lines of 1/4 wheaten 1/2 grey with maybe some deerhound in there or bull. But would only want something with a drop of bull in if any 

• Like 1
On 26/06/2019 at 21:19, trenchfoot said:

I believe part of the Sensitivity collie x's is due to their brain. They pick up training very quickly, which is one of their good points. But its a double edged sword. Over do a correction/raised voices etc, and they don't forget. Even if its only once. Recently the better collie based lurchers I have had anything to do with have either had a touch of terrier in them too, or have been bred from mongrelised collies, that have had all manner of influxes over the generations.

good thread above that , collies and dogs with good brain  deff   over react to discipline , fook me you only have to look at bryn with stern eye, and he stop working, and other colliexs ive had were similar  get up set easy. the reason i went for a gsd x grey , was really , only to get  stronger mind set than collie, and being honest Buck a sensitive  dog , ok not as bad as Bryn,  but similar to him in temp, he bit more full on when hunting , but thats all really . like said on this post, the acd x grey or the acd x lurcher , i reckon be better type lurcher , than the collie x,  because  you still get a good brain , good feet, coat, stamina , strong jaw , but you get bolder type temp, not easily up set like a collie x . its a x ive always liked the acd x grey, but  they not many bred to get a pup from, but if there was thats where i go for a lurcher pup if i was after a herding type x lurcher deff .

• Like 1

I find my whippets are sensitive to discipline but get over it quick(maybe lack of brains,thinking) I don't know.They are definitely not sensitive when hunting and can cop bad rips and try to keep going.Also are fearless when confronting dangerous animals even though they are not built to tackle them.Their gameness is what I admire in them,that and their gentle quietness in the house.They are smart enough for the hunting game and for me, I cant see what collie would bring except maybe thicker hide.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

I completely agree with you on the whippets an was gonna say the other day I found ye comment about the kelpiex being unneeded as such interesting an whilst I get what ye sayin I don’t agree an think once you see a good lurcher, with collie or kelpie or any other blood that ain’t running dog you soon see why, if it’s a good un that is ?

Cant see how it was uneeded,I only spoke the truth on Kelpies.I've seen kelpie/whippets and kelpie/ greys work here.If they were better than just a running dog or mix of, they would more popular here.Anything brought in that slows a running dog for fast game here isn't needed.

2 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

And the same applies for here but other way around mate, we have had greys an whippets for a long time an some folk use em an do well an other start off with them an use lurchers, I agree with you about the kelpie aswell for where your from I can’t argue that as Iv not tried working a dog there. But over here Iv had pure running dogs an found them wanting at some jobs an fine at others an same goes for colliex’s. I always insist a whippet is the perfect dog for somebody trying the Hunting game, they will teach ye far more than any person, but fact is some folk just want summat diff wether it’s down to terrain, personalities, looks or what ever. But no one type is the be all an end all, or we would all have whippets, greys Salukis or a mix of them as they would be the fastest options obviously ?

I don't know what your saying about this,I never knocked anyones use of any cross,just said what I prefer for here.As far as Kelpies go,the pounds are full of them here,because as I said if not kept busy they are a very noisy,annoying breed.Also whippets have been here for a long time and greyhounds were here with the first white settlers,but I've always respected the info on here from the old hunters in the UK about these dogs.

• Like 1