22 hours ago, trenchfoot said:

Cracking dog!  I’ve enjoyed the company of collie crosses for the best part of 40 years. I still have one in work, but I’ve changed and they don’t suit my temperament like they used to. They have given me some great memories over the years though. Enjoy them whist you can?

Out of interest Trenchfoot what is it about the Collie x that doesn’t suit your temperament now? I’ve read this a few times regarding collie x but I have never actually owned one so was just curious. 

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I enjoy nothing more than been out with my young Collie/Greyhound 

I had a collie x whippet/grey and sensitive was the last thing you could say he was  he was the result of an old hard mangy border collie getting to my mates whippet grey at the auction mart and

The Mongeral wheaton grey collie grey 1985   

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Shortstraw said:

Trenchfoot........what’s your preferred ingredients these days?

cheers

shortstraw

I’m finding the terrier crosses easier to bring on. In particular the Wheaton crosses tick a lot of boxes. They tolerate bad weather as well as collie crosses and cope with my diminished patience far better than any collie cross I’ve ever had

• Like 4
11 hours ago, trenchfoot said:

I’m finding the terrier crosses easier to bring on. In particular the Wheaton crosses tick a lot of boxes. They tolerate bad weather as well as collie crosses and cope with my diminished patience far better than any collie cross I’ve ever had

Thanks Trenchfoot.....I totally understand, sensitive dogs can really test you, in fact the younger of my two has been the most sensitive I’ve ever worked.....a real in in the ass.

14 hours ago, Allan P said:

Out of interest Trenchfoot what is it about the Collie x that doesn’t suit your temperament now? I’ve read this a few times regarding collie x but I have never actually owned one so was just curious. 

I’ve never had it personally with a pure border collies or half cross collie lurchers, but my bed/whip x collie/whippet/ greyhound is REALLY sensitive.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, trenchfoot said:

I get what your saying trenchfoot 100% about collie crosses being a bit sensitive at times. Terrier xs tick so many boxes if the right sorts can be obtained I’m running collie x bedlington/sight hound xs Home bred it’s been a game changer so easy to bring on everything seems smooth without any of the niggley bits what come with each of the base bloods can’t imagine wanting to own another type of animal any more I’ve found what suits me to a Tea for my needs 

• Like 2
12 hours ago, trenchfoot said:

I get what your saying trenchfoot 100% about collie crosses being a bit sensitive at times. Terrier xs tick so many boxes if the right sorts can be obtained I’m running collie x bedlington/sight hound xs Home bred it’s been a game changer so easy to bring on everything seems smooth without any of the niggley bits what come with each of the base bloods can’t imagine wanting to own another type of animal any more I’ve found what suits me to a Tea for my needs 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Shortstraw said:

I’ve never had it personally with a pure border collies or half cross collie lurchers, but my bed/whip x collie/whippet/ greyhound is REALLY sensitive.

all dogs can be sensitive , even if fighting breeds like the apbt , but all sighthounds  its more extreme , and in herding types, border collies,   kelipes ,  gsds etc. But from what ive read on here and on the net, the Australian cattle dog , got the same attributes  as a collie = good brain,feet, coat, stamina, but far tougher mind set, than a collie, dont get upset so easy as collie, so not as sensitive , if i was after herding type lurcher x , the acd x lurcher  would deff be the type i go for as my next dog, get the same job done with out all ball ache of a over sensitive  manic type dog .!   and people say  acd  they can be over sharp with people say the and other dogs, well no more nasty than a kelpex collie x grey  i had in 80s, that was twat, so i know wha sharp dogs can be like  deff .

• Like 2
7 hours ago, poxon said:

I often wondered which bit of the breeding in mine attributed to the sensitive nature of her.....was it the collie, whippet or bedlington. I always thought the bedlington would have that same jrt attitude that I love so much, but I was surprised on the recent bedlington lurcher  thread of how many commented that you have to be careful with the sensitivity of the bedlington lurcher....never expected that.

Edited by Shortstraw
18 minutes ago, Shortstraw said:

I often wondered which bit of the breeding in mine attributed to the sensitive nature of her.....was it the collie, whippet or bedlington. I always thought the bedlington would have that same jrt attitude that I love so much, but I was surprised on the recent bedlington lurcher  thread of how many commented that you have to be careful with the sensitivity of the bedlington lurcher....never expected that.

Ive never experienced it  or seen it in any of the mates beddy crosses  but you must get the.odd one in most crosses 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Could have come from any, or all ,an don’t forget greys ain’t exactly the most outgoing types either, jus my experience but all the others are more likely to have passed it on than the beddy, few beddy crosses Iv seen have been sound an like wheatenx aint likely to down tools if they hear a raised voice?

Don't let Our Team hear you praising Bedlingtons Don lol

• Haha 2
5 hours ago, Shortstraw said:

I suppose it depends on the types of nature the dogs that was used in the breeding of your dog mate you could take a stab in the dark An guess were the sensitivity came from but your never know tbh unless you know all the dogs on a personal level in the breeding. I’ve never known a bedlington x to be sensitive tbh I’ve been round quite a few over the years head strong or strong willed yes but never sensitive 

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, poxon said:

I suppose it depends on the types of nature the dogs that was used in the breeding of your dog mate you could take a stab in the dark An guess were the sensitivity came from but your never know tbh unless you know all the dogs on a personal level in the breeding. I’ve never known a bedlington x to be sensitive tbh I’ve been round quite a few over the years head strong or strong willed yes but never sensitive 

That what I expected, I was really surprised to hear the words sensitive and bedlington in the same sentence.

• Like 2