43 minutes ago, sandymere said:

I wrote about nail length a good few years ago, when I advocated medium length to reduce injuries whilst leaving enough to give traction/grip. This means that when a dog is standing in a relaxed position the nails should be just clear of the ground. This allows the tendons under the toes to be fully flexed and the toes to sit up in a natural position with the extensor tendons over the toes to be fully extended. But when running the flexor tendons will flex to drive the, reasonable length, nails into the ground to give maximum grip.

When the nails are kept too short grip is reduced, much like worn spikes on cross country running shoes, and there is also a greater risk of even small knocks to the nail opening up the quick which then leaves an open potential portal for infection to get in.

When the nails are kept to long they push up the end of the toe which extends the flexor tendon under the toe, reducing its efficiency and dropping the toe whilst shortening the flexor tendon above the toe. Tendons take months to adapt so once the tendon has been stretched/shortened it will be a long time if ever before it returns to the original state. With extended toes there is even less grip, in spite of longer nails due to compromised flexors, and the gap between main and toe pad is increased leading to a greater risk of injuries.

Leaving a dog on its bed for months will result in stretched flexor tendons and shortened extensor tendons resulting in chronically flat feet but this will be the least of its worries as all of the bones and tendons throughout its body will lose density and bulk, becoming weaker and thinner. This will take months to put right and is basically poor stockmanship.  Dogs can and do run on imperfect feet but to give a dog flat feet for the want of a little exercise seems pretty poor, perhaps if an owner hasn’t the time to exercise their dogs then perhaps a guinea pig would be a better option.

feet.png.cd0aa1f02f835c183f1e1c6ad8f42fbc.png

nails clear and toes sitting naturally.

IMG_20190509_125256.jpg.eceffb4e3fb7011e518263e0cf739828.jpg

long nails lifting the front of the toe causing it to flatten

IMG_20190705_195419.jpg.c91178b136ded5435492ca39fa895789.jpg

edit to add links

https://www.bones.nih.gov/health-info/bone/osteoporosis/conditions-behaviors/bed-rest

https://pmj.bmj.com/content/79/932/320

Excellent quote 

• Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There you go lads. Cheers, D.  

Hard to beat natural remedies walking and saltwater on the beach as well

Posted Images

Great post Sandymere: I've written about feet too, on more than one occasion. Poorly maintained claws are a real hate of mine, can't stand seeing dogs with long claws. One of the Airedale lurchers has appalling feet, which are made worse by the fact that her toes were never strongly arched to begin with (the fault of her dam, the Airedale, which is surprising to say the least). Couple long, flattish toes with mega strong claws that grow very fast, and it's a recipe for problems. I have to use a nail grinder to file them down every 10 days or so, and using the grinder means you can take the claw almost back to the quick without hurting the dog.

We can't always have dogs with perfect feet, but proper maintenance goes a long way to keeping the toes injury-free.

• Like 6
4 hours ago, sandymere said:

I wrote about nail length a good few years ago, when I advocated medium length to reduce injuries whilst leaving enough to give traction/grip. This means that when a dog is standing in a relaxed position the nails should be just clear of the ground. This allows the tendons under the toes to be fully flexed and the toes to sit up in a natural position with the extensor tendons over the toes to be fully extended. But when running the flexor tendons will flex to drive the, reasonable length, nails into the ground to give maximum grip.

When the nails are kept too short grip is reduced, much like worn spikes on cross country running shoes, and there is also a greater risk of even small knocks to the nail opening up the quick which then leaves an open potential portal for infection to get in.

When the nails are kept to long they push up the end of the toe which extends the flexor tendon under the toe, reducing its efficiency and dropping the toe whilst shortening the flexor tendon above the toe. Tendons take months to adapt so once the tendon has been stretched/shortened it will be a long time if ever before it returns to the original state. With extended toes there is even less grip, in spite of longer nails due to compromised flexors, and the gap between main and toe pad is increased leading to a greater risk of injuries.

Leaving a dog on its bed for months will result in stretched flexor tendons and shortened extensor tendons resulting in chronically flat feet but this will be the least of its worries as all of the bones and tendons throughout its body will lose density and bulk, becoming weaker and thinner. This will take months to put right and is basically poor stockmanship.  Dogs can and do run on imperfect feet but to give a dog flat feet for the want of a little exercise seems pretty poor, perhaps if an owner hasn’t the time to exercise their dogs then perhaps a guinea pig would be a better option.

feet.png.cd0aa1f02f835c183f1e1c6ad8f42fbc.png

nails clear and toes sitting naturally.

IMG_20190509_125256.jpg.eceffb4e3fb7011e518263e0cf739828.jpg

long nails lifting the front of the toe causing it to flatten

IMG_20190705_195419.jpg.c91178b136ded5435492ca39fa895789.jpg

edit to add links

https://www.bones.nih.gov/health-info/bone/osteoporosis/conditions-behaviors/bed-rest

https://pmj.bmj.com/content/79/932/320

I totally agree with sky cats post but sandy that picture of that animal foot ain't that bad your totally taking it out a context I'll say it again two you. You gave read the post of skycats and how lack off anything affects a jukel etc. You can bring your foreign shite kampung with us round the forestry blocks dead a winter  you continually take posts of fun the Internet ,why it bothering you it ain't bothering his owner da sky cat I know doubt will see your jukels around the canal towpaths hope ta see these jukels of thyne and how they perform truth his a good amount of your sandy included ain't ever worked jukels like domes of us yas played abit daytime running and messing and that's a fact atb bill

11 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Offer him a straightener bill?

I aye catching a plane ta Spain lol he be two busy thinking if only I could really show the coursing afficandos how these gal goes would fare against our coursing breeds the mans deluded thinking he will get chance fa that.haaahafecking gal goes many yrs ago. Used kill tons of rats on a pig farm they were on swill back then they a Ibizan some breed similiar the happily shared his grub and he was on a chain lol atb bill

16 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

stopend and mixed grill both v Cooney....

the brick v gaffer......

Thats it a full card I can sort the venue gyms less than a hundred paces from my door kick boxing grappling all in ,no holds barred jtickets be around thirty quid twenty ta members lets get it on beats the boring fishing comes you have no need fa any door knocking no illegalities then two worry about just straight legal bouts  the bouts a sorted the venue can be sorted at any notice .now who gonna come fa there bout  I'll be in there five thirty lets get this sorted katchum you can come fa socks case he gets travel sickness  no need ta worry about missing work winner will taking proceeds from there bouts it can be sorted atb bill

• Like 1
Just now, Our team said:

If you do cut a dogs wick. Don't worry. It don't hurt them. As theres no nerve involved it just blood vessel.    It looks bad  but heals real quick.. 

Cutting through a quick has a method taking pressure from a blown toe done it plenty times saves the callous of blood hardening round the joint atb bill

2 minutes ago, billhardy said:

Cutting through a quick has a method taking pressure from a blown toe done it plenty times saves the callous of blood hardening round the joint atb bill

Yeh it don't hurt em. And they usually lick it dry and it stops beading in minutes.. If its cut short it never grows with nail again. However a running dog should have longish claws  all said and done.. 

5 minutes ago, billhardy said:

Thats it a full card I can sort the venue gyms less than a hundred paces from my door kick boxing grappling all in ,no holds barred jtickets be around thirty quid twenty ta members lets get it on beats the boring fishing comes you have no need fa any door knocking no illegalities then two worry about just straight legal bouts  the bouts a sorted the venue can be sorted at any notice .now who gonna come fa there bout  I'll be in there five thirty lets get this sorted katchum you can come fa socks case he gets travel sickness  no need ta worry about missing work winner will taking proceeds from there bouts it can be sorted atb bill

This is becoming like  pit dog fighting. Will there be a vet and a straw bale ring 

16 minutes ago, Our team said:

This is becoming like  pit dog fighting. Will there be a vet and a straw bale ring 

I'll throw my hat in the ring..

C'mon @king you c**t.i'm calling you out.you always thought you were lenny mclean but your more lenny henry.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6
30 minutes ago, Our team said:

If you do cut a dogs wick. Don't worry. It don't hurt them. As theres no nerve involved it just blood vessel.    It looks bad  but heals real quick.. 

Why do they squeal if you cut the quick then? 

22 minutes ago, stormyboy said:

Why do they squeal if you cut the quick then? 

Cos the dogs soft as shit. Or you've cut too bloody far. There is a safety gaurd on dog nail clippers. Use it. If you cut again the same nail. Be carefull.. ? they will be raw and sore but no nerve ending there... Don't cut too far. Its just  trim off  not a cut off.. I never cut my bedlingtons  back claws cos she drives of them. Only her fronts get long  and I just snip ends off. Mainly front two.  

Edited by Our team