A keeper pal of mine has had fox problems overnight. He rears his own birds and is having to spend a lot of time catching in the mornings. He is feeling the pressure as he can’t devote the time needed to sort Charlie out . He reckons to have picked up 90 or so and that’s just the ones he found . He Wasaped me this picture this morning at 5.45 , I phoned him up and he sounded gutted . You need a shoulder to cry on sometimes, and only someone who has been there can understand that horrible feeling you get when you turn up in the morning and you see a couple of crows and a buzzard lift off the ground and you know what is waiting for you  . Doesn’t matter haw long you have been doing the job or how many birds. You put down , you don’t get used to it .

5248783F-2072-4BE6-8275-19B31001148A.jpeg

• Sad 2
23 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

A keeper pal of mine has had fox problems overnight. He rears his own birds and is having to spend a lot of time catching in the mornings. He is feeling the pressure as he can’t devote the time needed to sort Charlie out . He reckons to have picked up 90 or so and that’s just the ones he found . He Wasaped me this picture this morning at 5.45 , I phoned him up and he sounded gutted . You need a shoulder to cry on sometimes, and only someone who has been there can understand that horrible feeling you get when you turn up in the morning and you see a couple of crows and a buzzard lift off the ground and you know what is waiting for you  . Doesn’t matter haw long you have been doing the job or how many birds. You put down , you don’t get used to it

gutted for him after all the hard work he's put in to them.

had  similar when I was keepering in yorkshire went to pen and 20+ red kites lifted looked in the pen and picked up over 30 poults

and they say kites don't kill :shok:

1 hour ago, CHEVINFOX said:

gutted for him after all the hard work he's put in to them.

had  similar when I was keepering in yorkshire went to pen and 20+ red kites lifted looked in the pen and picked up over 30 poults

and they say kites don't kill :shok:

I don’t doubt it , I’ve had buzzards that kill like goss hawks . Some are benign carrion eaters/ take a poorly poult . And others , well you’d think a fox had been in your pen , until you strip the skin and see it’s a B of P kill . I had the first kite turn up here last year , their range is spreading. They haven’t so far caused any problems.?

20 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

I don’t doubt it , I’ve had buzzards that kill like goss hawks . Some are benign carrion eaters/ take a poorly poult . And others , well you’d think a fox had been in your pen , until you strip the skin and see it’s a B of P kill . I had the first kite turn up here last year , their range is spreading. They haven’t so far caused any problems.?

having the odd one is not a problem, the shoot i was on was not far from Harewood House who had a release program

we had to give up on some partridge drives just too many harassing them, no more ground nesting chicks

there's no shoot on harewood now

• Sad 1