Trying to put a smile on his face ☹️

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well I’ve got a mate who has 99 problems and thought I’d try and cheer him up with a bit of fox action, I was told that a bloke was worried about lambs he had on a small holding so off we went, on arr

Well it turns out my mate now has 100 problems and things don’t seem to be getting any better for him, so I get the text, can we get out for an hour, my reply, pub or shooting, definitely shooting, go

It used to be big hunt ground, the land behind the sheep is a grouse moor that a lad I know is the head keeper on, sadly it’s died out a fair bit now and I think there’s only one pack now, when it alm

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Stavross said:

I think it could definitely do with a couple of new seals as they have only been changed once 

Sometimes the regulators are set a little high. Yes try a new seal first.

It doesn't take much to unlock the bolt. Many think the system ejects the case.

In fact most actions just unlock the bolt. The residual pressure in the barrel acts on the empty hull as a piston that pushes the bolt back to cycle the mechanism.

Any lost gas or over regulation changes the timing of bolt release and in a millisecond not enough residual pressure is available to act on the empty case completely etc.

It's most a timing issue really, bolt unlocking and residual pressure just before the shot leaves the muzzle.

Am I waffling....

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Out on our weekly therapy session tonight and as the crop is starting to come down I thought I’d give him a go at the foxes, telling him he would be behind the .243 we  arrived at the cut barley, where he produced the biggest bi-pod I’ve ever seen and continued to tell me that he was going to fit it to the rifle so he could sit down, I told him that he wouldn’t see over straw but he seemed adamant that it’s ok and as it was his night I let him get on with it, I took the mouse gun to bag a bit of bait and did so as soon as we arrived, with the land been as big as it is I’ve started baiting up to draw them to a couple of spots, giving it a couple of hours with the caller we didn’t see any fox but this could of had something to do with us been sat down and not been able to see between the lines, but as I said it was his night, on the way back we stopped off at the gardens where I managed another three bait bunnies all over 100 yards that were placed out in the fields, so with a bit of luck when the wheat is down in the next couple of weeks we should account for a few around the baited areas, all I need to do now is convince the lazy beggar to stand up instead of sitting down with that bloody stupid bi-pod 

A45F9552-4E1F-4DDB-ACB2-AFD4ED435561.jpeg

376E9121-9CF5-4EC3-AA50-8C98F3894097.jpeg

94C9D0B6-8CEB-4573-B923-F8FBFB8B209B.jpeg

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...

Well the wheat is down and my mate is still a miserable little sod in need of some cheering up and even though I’ve been at work all over the bank holiday weekend I felt it my duty to cheer him up a bit, now  it looked like rain but I thought we’d give it a go, so off to the cut fields and a short walk away from the car, we waited until we lost the light and with the caller 30 yards out in the field it wasn’t long before I picked the telltale eye shine in the NV spotter of a ginger looking in the direction of the caller but not sure if it wanted to investigate further, giving it 5 minutes it came from the bottom of the hedge back and started to make its way up the field, telling him I was going to light it up and he would have to take the shot he readied himself and the thud was all that was needed to know the shot was good, at 158 yards he was over the moon, my turn next and a quick walk to the other side of the fields, no need to call this time, as we passed through a gap in the hedge my little mate looked through the NV and stopped in his tracks, with a whisper of get ready he lit a young one up no more than 60 yards out in the middle of the field, another thud and another one down, now with the rain really starting to come down, there was no time for pictures with this one just time to retrieve it from the middle of the field and deposit it in the bottom of the hedge and retreat back to the car just in time before the heavens opened and the thunderstorm rattled on above us ?

3AA39182-6829-4A01-BE6F-F73D243E80C0.jpeg

• Like 4

I like this form of therapy, I don’t have to listen or show any interest in your problems because you have to be quite and then once the session ends my patient goes home feeling better, I think this could be a new line of work for me ?

• Haha 1
  • 1 month later...

It’s been a bit quite on the therapy front over the past few weeks but as I sat down in front of the telly my phone rang, “ Can we get out for a bit? “ my reply “ it’s pouring down mate “ this fell on deaf  ears so I picked him up and set off to the sheep farm, on arrival the rain had got heavier so we got ourselves under the biggest tree we could find and set away with the caller, after 10 minutes I spotted eyes in the bottom corner, this turned out to be two badges having a scrap, giving it another 40 minutes another set of eye appeared in the same place as the badgers but this time you could see it was definitely a fox, it made its way very quickly up the centre of the field, telling him to get ready and to go off the top of the fence I lit it up no more than 60 yards away, bang went the rifle and away went the fox like it’s arse was on fire, he still wanted to go and look for it despite me explaining nothing runs off from them 70gr Sako’s and by the way it ran you will just have to accept you missed it, so no smiles tonight, now been soaked and a little bit annoyed that he missed somewhere I can’t really afford to educate them, we set off home, maybe next time I’ll keep him on the rabbits 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

You have the patience of a saint mate. I looked at the weather and hit the vodka!

Yep, shooting high velocity bullets in the rain can be problematic...a 22 or shotgun for me in rain .

I think it was more his excitement than the rain, I could of picked up a conker from the tree we were under and dropped it with that, it was that close ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Fair play Stav, it,s all flodding and sheisse here ,not shooting weather at all .At night in the rain constantly cleaning lenses or a nice warming single malt and a shout at the telly coz its carp ,mm let me see now :drink:decisions ,decisions  eh 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1