I have 100 yard in door range which I can shoot out to 85 yards . What would be a good back stop for 22 lr and 17 HMR ?
I have been using this for my airguns sub 12 and FAC , using 40 mm worktop cut into A size paper as target boards . Do you think these will still be ok or not

8 hours ago, villaman said:

I have 100 yard in door range which I can shoot out to 85 yards . What would be a good back stop for 22 lr and 17 HMR ?
I have been using this for my airguns sub 12 and FAC , using 40 mm worktop cut into A size paper as target boards . Do you think these will still be ok or not

Short term it might be ok but after a few rds? trial and error ?

21 hours ago, villaman said:

Worktops (chipboard) will break up, probably best to shoot at the wood side rather than laminated side if you have to.

Sand is the standard/go to back stop on most external ranges, but they tend to have a rather large bank of the stuff.

Must be me but I don't understand if you have a 100 yard range why you can only shoot to 85yards!

20 hours ago, Rimfireboy! said:

A couple of bags of building sand. I don’t know about the worktops, but my hmr shot straight through a four inch fence post at 100 yards.

:laugh: :D

What ammo, is that the FMJ stuff?

I have been known to check my HMR V-Max on the odd fence post, I tend to make sure they are fairly decent wood first so they don't go right through!

:thumbs:

2 hours ago, Deker said:

Worktops (chipboard) will break up, probably best to shoot at the wood side rather than laminated side if you have to.

Sand is the standard/go to back stop on most external ranges, but they tend to have a rather large bank of the stuff.

Must be me but I don't understand if you have a 100 yard range why you can only shoot to 85yards!

Sorry the building is about 100 yards long and 85 yards shooting range 

2 hours ago, Deker said:

:laugh: :D

What ammo, is that the FMJ stuff?

I have been known to check my HMR V-Max on the odd fence post, I tend to make sure they are fairly decent wood first so they don't go right through!

:thumbs:

Not sure deker, probably federal or cci tnt, t’was a while ago?

On 16/06/2019 at 13:24, villaman said:

How about ricochets 

Oh no !  not the dreaded Rich O'shay

On 16/06/2019 at 16:04, Sausagedog said:

Did you get the mouse though?

On 16/06/2019 at 17:18, Rimfireboy! said:

Yes, but it was full of splinters.?

Not much good for the pot then. There's not much worse than getting splinters caught in your tèeth.

It depends on what is behind the backstop area.  If it is an empty fourty acre field  you're ok but if it is a car park , probably not.  My 22lr will go right through a steel 40 gallon barrel at 100 yards and I really was surprised when the 17.hmr of my  mate put a bullet clean through the side of a farm trailer  ( of his ) at about 70 yards. The metal was about 3 mm thick.

PS. Don't tell people that you've set up a range because I think that there are regulatons that apply.

Edited by Meece
57 minutes ago, Meece said:

Oh no !  not the dreaded Rich O'shay

Not much good for the pot then. There's not much worse than getting splinters caught in your tèeth.

It depends on what is behind the backstop area.  If it is an empty fourty acre field  you're ok but if it is a car park , probably not.  My 22lr will go right through a steel 40 gallon barrel at 100 yards and I really was surprised when the 17.hmr of my  mate put a bullet clean through the side of a farm trailer  ( of his ) at about 70 yards. The metal was about 3 mm thick.

PS. Don't tell people that you've set up a range because I think that there are regulatons that apply.

The range is only for my use and a mate