sea fishing.

On 15/06/2019 at 12:45, fireman said:

Bass and mullet and mullet spinning is the way to catch them,a mepps number 3 tipped with harbour rag worm is the secret but don't tell anyone..:thumbs:..

I visited a friend in Norfolk who seemed insistent that shoals of mullet are few and far between in his parts; but having said that, he's a coarse angler and on our one walk by a harbour we saw a big shoal, so I take what he said with a rather hefty pinch of salt! 

The mepps technique is excellent, so long as they prove to be thin lips! Rather different story with the thick lips... a right pain they are! 

To the original poster, if you want to see more on this mepps technique I can recommend this very easy to follow step by step, it really will put fish on the bank and thin lipped mullet on light tackle take some beating enjoyment wise!  - How to catch a thin lipped mullet

You can eat mullet by the way; I don't keep them myself but know plenty who do and some even prefer them to bass! I'd definitely favour thin lips for eating over thick lips who filter through mud most the time, which no doubt would be reflected in their taste. 

Best of luck getting into sea fishing, hope you get as immersed into it as the rest of us! 

• Like 1
On 14/06/2019 at 10:07, samuria said:

i would like to try sea fishing. so what would be the basic

set up i would need ? for beach or pier ?

use to river fish but that was many many years ago!!!!!!!

thanks

As people have already mentioned, it would really depend on what you wanted to try and catch. As there is so much on the market now that you can kit yourself out for pretty much anything. My personal advice would be to search through second hand sites and carboot sales for something relatively light. A 7-9ft bass style rod with a medium sized fixed spool reel is a good place to start. You can use your coarse gear if you still have it? I have done a few shore fishing videos from the shore/pier to help anglers increase their learning curve if they may be of help to you? 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnfvGJ1TY-BG6-vzoLU1fSw/videos

Edited by The Fishlocker
On 23/06/2019 at 00:25, Grant Jones said:

I visited a friend in Norfolk who seemed insistent that shoals of mullet are few and far between in his parts; but having said that, he's a coarse angler and on our one walk by a harbour we saw a big shoal, so I take what he said with a rather hefty pinch of salt! 

The mepps technique is excellent, so long as they prove to be thin lips! Rather different story with the thick lips... a right pain they are! 

To the original poster, if you want to see more on this mepps technique I can recommend this very easy to follow step by step, it really will put fish on the bank and thin lipped mullet on light tackle take some beating enjoyment wise!  - How to catch a thin lipped mullet

You can eat mullet by the way; I don't keep them myself but know plenty who do and some even prefer them to bass! I'd definitely favour thin lips for eating over thick lips who filter through mud most the time, which no doubt would be reflected in their taste. 

Best of luck getting into sea fishing, hope you get as immersed into it as the rest of us! 

As it goes i fish for them in suffolk and haven't fished for them in Norfolk so he could be right bud..:victory: