sea fishing.

15 minutes ago, samuria said:

i would like to try sea fishing. so what would be the basic

set up i would need ? for beach or pier ?

use to river fish but that was many many years ago!!!!!!!

thanks

How longs a bit of string, depends where your fishing, what ground your fishing over, and what your wanting to target.

generally a 12 foot beach caster, fixed spool reel, then whatever terminal tackle your needing for ground/species your on, a tripod will serve you well if on the beach.

looking at your location some flat sandy beaches your way.

rabid, that's my problem... i haven't got a clue to what i will

need.. as for species any that i can eat....... is beach better than pier fishing etc

if someone could just give me a clue as to the basics i will

be most  grateful:hi:

Generally around our coast you want 12ft beach casters and a fixed spool reels. Then a tripod so you havent got to hold your rods! 15lb mono on the reels with a 60lb shock leader. Lead wise, 5oz grip leads will cover you for 90% of situations. A two hook paternoser rig for your trace. You can buy them already made, but they are easy to tie (see google) and use a size 1 or 1/0 hook will cover most of it. That will do you for beaches and piers. Just use the handrail for a rod rest on the pier if you can. Gear can be cheap as chips or a fortune, depends what you want to do. You can get a really cheap rod and reel for £50, but it wont be the best, and it will only last a couple of years.

• Like 1

Get a Shakespeare rod n reel for under £50 Notes or buy secondhand and tackle like beany  suggested . 

One of the companies that took over Woolworths stores sells lot of weights and mackerel feathers cheap, 

or if you have a 12 ft carp/pike rod that’s 2.5-3 lb tc you could float fish or maybe spin if you team it with a reel , there’s plenty round carboot and on Facebook marketplace 

Personally I would leave the car boots well alone until you know what your looking at, yeah it can be cheap, but it can be totally of zero use to you.

better of getting to know a local tackle shop, it will serve you well in the long run, even if it’s just fresh bait, or bits and bobs, get a raporr going and you will pick up valuable info on where is fishing, where isn’t, what’s about etc etc, might even land lucky and find someone to buddy up with who knows the area.

most tackle shops will kit you out with a cheap rod/reel combo pretty cheap to get started, you may hate it and use it once, no point spending loads until you get into it.

personally, I always fish 2 rods, both same length as easier to watch on the pod, one at range, one close in, I never bother scratching, I consider it a waste of time/bait and effort, much prefer to have a couple of good baits out for something decent..

size2/0 with worm/squid on one, crab  or some fish bait on the other, often one close in with some surf running for bass, look for a good gulley and fish it, it’s the salts highway and where you pick them up.

which part of Norfolk you from, I’m no expert on beach fishing your parts but I know a few good spots.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, samuria said:

thanks

Best advice I would give you is to go to your local tackle shops and ask them. Visit the areas you are thinking of fishing and talk to any angler who is fishing. Be wary of tackle shops trying to sell you expensive rods, pay around £100 mark and get a good fix spool reel far easier to cast with.

Forgot to say, see if there are any sea angling clubs near you and if anyone would help,advise you and possibly take you out. If I remember rightly Sea Angler magazine high recommended Sonik SMS Black shore rod available in 12ft, 13ft and 14ft (£80-100). Personally I would target flounders first as they can be caught very close to the shore line and are very obliging.

23 hours ago, samuria said:

thanks

I live 20 miles south of Norwich near the zoo and pm me and i'll take you out sometime over a weekend to show you what you need,will say i have beach casters and all that but in general i just use a spinning rod an chuck a few lures as it's the bass i'm going for..

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, samuria said:

thanks guys..

rabid i'am in norwich... 

talking to my old mate this morning his inlaw does a bit now and again so got to 

have a chat with him.

That is a good idea. Especially if you are thinking of beach fishing for the first time. It can be soul-destroying sitting on a bleak bit of sand or shingle ,not sure if you are using the right gear, or have cast far enough,or perhaps cast too far,wondering if you have the right bait ,or if has been eaten by crabs ,dealing with false bites from seaweed and plastic bags and then looking out at the huge ocean and realising the fish could be anywhere in the World.  Go with a friend or at least pick a beach with a few hopefully helpful anglers on it. 

Rock,pier and harbour fishing is far less daunting. You are really just using beefed up freshwater tactics; heavier leads,bigger floats etc. You rarely have to cast far and even if the fish are not playing ball it is less dispiriting than fishing blind on an unknown beach.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, comanche said:

That is a good idea. Especially if you are thinking of beach fishing for the first time. It can be soul-destroying sitting on a bleak bit of sand or shingle ,not sure if you are using the right gear, or have cast far enough,or perhaps cast too far,wondering if you have the right bait ,or if has been eaten by crabs ,dealing with false bites from seaweed and plastic bags and then looking out at the huge ocean and realising the fish could be anywhere in the World.  Go with a friend or at least pick a beach with a few hopefully helpful anglers on it. 

Rock,pier and harbour fishing is far less daunting. You are really just using beefed up freshwater tactics; heavier leads,bigger floats etc. You rarely have to cast far and even if the fish are not playing ball it is less dispiriting than fishing blind on an unknown beach.

thanks comanche, that sounds more like it to start with. never thought of harbour fishing, i suppose that's easier ?????

what type of fish are mainly caught there?:hi:

28 minutes ago, samuria said:

thanks comanche, that sounds more like it to start with. never thought of harbour fishing, i suppose that's easier ?????

what type of fish are mainly caught there?:hi:

Bass and mullet and mullet spinning is the way to catch them,a mepps number 3 tipped with harbour rag worm is the secret but don't tell anyone..:thumbs:..