3x new gl licences valid from 14-06

You can bet Packham’s lot will be trying their best to get these new gl’s stopped as well. They aren’t going to be happy, as what they thought they’ve achieved has been pulled right back from them. They were even challenging the new crow license, reckoning that individuals shouldn’t be allowed to asses whether to use lethal methods or not. Also, that game birds aren’t ‘kept’ birds, so shouldn’t be protected from crows. Whether or not they can find anything illegal about these new licenses is another matter though?  

• Like 1

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So, just to recap on my version of spring watch....at a most crucial time of the year for all breeding birds some bunny huggers propelled the reproduction of predatory corvids at the cost of weaker sp

Three new general licences for the killing or taking of wild birds in England will be issued at 00:01 on Friday 14 June. The recent call for evidence demonstrated a range of impacts that individual

what I want to see in the license is been able to shoot wood pigeon over stubble, I would consider this preventative shooting because we know the problem is coming so why wait until it arrives, I just

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Rimfireboy! said:

You can bet Packham’s lot will be trying their best to get these new gl’s stopped as well. They aren’t going to be happy, as what they thought they’ve achieved has been pulled right back from them. They were even challenging the new crow license, reckoning that individuals shouldn’t be allowed to asses whether to use lethal methods or not. Also, that game birds aren’t ‘kept’ birds, so shouldn’t be protected from crows. Whether or not they can find anything illegal about these new licenses is another matter though?  

I'm sure they will try and do there best as this will have there backs up.

Thing is I think DEFRA have a bit more power that what Natural England had. 

I think it's a case of watch this space.

• Like 1

After speaking to a couple of people today, it would seem that decoying pigeon on stubble is a no go as this could be considered sporting shooting, but with the turn around in crops, a couple of weeks after combine they are putting the winter drilling’s in, these  new licenses are for crop, wildlife and public health and not for sporting shooting which was also illegal on the old GL, luckily we are all a lot better informed now ?

• Like 2

The hope is as Coke Head Gove wants to be P,M and all the orgs have backed his new licence so he thinks there,s votes in it and wIll tell DEFRA to stomp on any carp from Wild Joke the songs birds biggest killer since the French

.That said for now those slimes will be fuming and screaming at the great unwashed give us more money to fight this so hopefully theyl realise Plackham ,Avery and Dingle are a money pit and tell them to sex and travel .

But we all know this odious cretin has a steady audience thanks to the Guardianistas that run the beeb bee cee and his pal Monibutt will spout more drivel in his column SO PLEASE WILL THE ORGS START A CAMPAIGN TO COUNTER THEIR LIES ,IT ISNT MUCH TOO ASK 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, timmytree said:

The way I see it, if you have stubble next to standing crop, flag the crop and decoy on the stubble. No standing crop and nothing sown, no shooting.

That’s how I would interpret it, if it’s just fields of stubble there’s nothing to protect, there’s nothing in that license that states you can shoot them because you know they will be a problem in future, that’s how I read it at least 

SSSI confusion? if its not a European SSSI then the licence GL35 can be use very confusing,  I have a farm that has a river and lake that is a SSSI within 300 mtrs I control the ferrals that are producing loads of sh-t all over the place in the out buildings GL35 is the licence I use but unless its not a European site and I am not damaging anything I will have to apply for an individual licence (SSI European or not very confusing).

Sites of Special Scientific Interest (SSSIs)

k. A site of special scientific interest (SSSI) is a site designated through domestic law as of special interest for flora, fauna, or geological or physiographical features. This is a national designation. Natural England will, for each site, have specified operations it considers could damage the site and Natural England’s consent is required for any such operations. A SSSI may also be a European site (for example, a Special Protection Area (SPA) or Special Area of Conservation (SAC)) or a Ramsar site. If a SSSI is a European site or Ramsar site, then this licence does not permit any action on the site or within 300 metres of its boundary (see Information and Advice notes g to j).

l. If a SSSI is not a European site, then this licence can be used, subject to the operations not being damaging. The notification documents for each SSSI contain a list of operations that could damage its special features and for which prior consent from Natural England is required. If the activity you need to undertake covered by this licence is not listed in the SSSI notification documents as an operation that could damage the site’s special features, no further action is required and you can act under this licence. If the activity you need to undertake covered by this licence is listed in the SSSI notification documents as an operation that could damage the site’s special features, you can only undertake this activity if the owner or occupier of the SSSI has applied for, and received, Natural England’s SSSI consent. If you act without this consent having been given, you may be at risk of committing an offence. There is one exception: licence WML-CL25 (to permit the diversionary feeding of hen harrier (Circus cyaneus) on grouse moors in northern England) does not require a consent from Natural England under any circumstances. See gov.uk for further information on how to get SSSI consent from Natural England.

m. A similar process applies for public bodies and statutory undertakers (as defined under section 28G of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981) and this obligation applies even where the operations are carried out on land outside of the SSSI. See gov.uk for further information.

n. To identify SSSIs, European Sites, Ramsar sites and the features for which they are designated, refer to www.magic.gov.uk. Consult the SSSI notification documents for details of ‘operations likely to damage’ (available on Natural England’s Designated Sites View: https://designatedsites.naturalengland.org.uk/SiteSearch.aspx), and consider whether your activity is likely to have an impact. Advice may be sought from the local adviser for the SSSI: www.gov.uk/government/organisations/natural-england.

Someone called fxzzztwww sorry Gove wants to be P,M so he had his boys undo the joke NE came up with after they bent over and let chlis packham have his wicked way with them .And some good people were warning us of the pitfalls of not sticking to the rules of the new licences .

Trouble is some sarcastic people abused some cheeky people and started laughing so stop it now or theyl take our sweets off us :thumbs:

Gove has definitely time this decision right to try and swing a few votes his way. But at the end of the day it's worked out well for the shoot g fraternity. timmytree is totally correct in saying that we should all have a good read of the new GLs. Then we can all stay within the rules and keep them ?️?s at WJ and CP quiet, for now at least. 

7 hours ago, timmytree said:

Please read the new GLs carefully, although they help us there are some changes which could catch people out. If you get asked the question at some point and get tripped up it could be trouble.

Here is one example.

Species: Species covered by the previously withdrawn general licences (GL04, GL05 and GL06) have been retained with the following exceptions, as there was not satisfactory evidence of the need for a general licence for these species and these purposes: i. Serious damage – does not include jay, collared dove and lesser blackbacked gull ii. Public health or public safety – does not include jay, wood pigeon, collared dove, lesser black-backed gull and herring gull iii. Conservation – does not include feral pigeon and lesser black-backed gull.

So to me jays can only be shot for nest raiding, not for any other reason.

Doves cannot be shot for crop damage or public health and safety so are they a threat?

If you are unfortunate enough to be stopped and asked you need to know why you are shooting it and under what part of the GL you are covered. Make the most of the wet weekend to study it.

Think I'll  print them off and highlight the areas, otherwise it will be like " yeah no prob I'll just scan through the GL and show you how I'm covered , this may take a while till I sift through all the bollocks?