Webley Senior .22

Had a bit of time on my hands maybe, well I must have because I thought I’d weigh a few different old style pellets, with a couple of newer ones thrown in, and shoot them over the chrono. I took and average of five shots with each brand of pellet for velocity and energy readings. This gun was made in 1958 so it’s a bit of an old timer really. Anyway, here’s the results to bore anyone who’s still reading this. A fair bit of variation, but as I thought, prefers the old wasps, just over five ft lb. Not bad for an old piece really.

Milbro Caledonian.  13.1g V=353. E=3.62

Milbro Select.           13.3g  V=335. E=3.31

Champion Waisted  12.5g  V=388. E=4.17

Champion Flathead 17.3g  V=355. E=4.84

Marksman Pointed  15.6g  V=356. E=4.39

Marksman no2          13.7g V=294. E=2.63

Champion Copper     15.3g V=260. E=2.29

Bisley Wasp                14.2g V=388. E=4.74

Eley Wasp                    14.4g V=403. E=5.19

H&N ftt 5.53                 15.0g V=298. E=2.95

H&N ftt green                9.4g  V=426. E=3.78

5B38071D-7C71-4FCB-AD92-E3A99F5A14A7.jpeg

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Jonjon79 said:

Still a good pistol though mate - I read somewhere that they made those older Webley pistols to firearm standards (?).

It'd be interesting to see what the accuracy was like of each of those 5 shot groups :thumbs:

I don’t know if my pistol shooting skills would show up much difference, but I’ll give it a go when I get time?

• Like 1

I had a Premier with .177 and .22 barrels.

Not sure what the difference is/was to the Senior, certainly look similar!

I "guess" the Eley Wasps performed best as they were closest to a proper .22, good performance anyway at over 5ft lb.

:thumbs:

2 hours ago, Deker said:

I had a Premier with .177 and .22 barrels.

Not sure what the difference is/was to the Senior, certainly look similar!

I "guess" the Eley Wasps performed best as they were closest to a proper .22, good performance anyway at over 5ft lb.

:thumbs:

Yep, the old wasps are a better fit in the barrel. Unfortunately not made anymore, but I find my Webley mk3 prefers these also, as did my old airsporters. Only got a few tins left now, and the new bisley wasps just aren’t the same.?

19 hours ago, Rimfireboy! said:

Yep, the old wasps are a better fit in the barrel. Unfortunately not made anymore, but I find my Webley mk3 prefers these also, as did my old airsporters. Only got a few tins left now, and the new bisley wasps just aren’t the same.?

I didn't know that!

My old Airsporter likes them, hardly ever used these days but gets the odd few down it from time to time!

Just ordered another tin.