So I went for the Marlin.

It is in fact a 990 model, a variety of the 60 made between 79 & 87.

Very reliable, after a couple hundred rounds it only malfunctioned a few times with eley subs and t22.

With fiocchi and lasers it's flawless and very accurate. The action is quick and not off putting at all.

I got a nice 47 harder and one at about 130yards, ok I had to walk them into the long one but every one was there just low until I stuck the front sight up enough!

IMG_20190613_143545.jpg.a8daae7df703af28311f3c7b558a97dc.jpg

SD.

• Like 3

A quick question, I no nothing about the marlin, someone told me that you load them like a semi auto shotgun and they take about 20 rounds into a tube, is this true and do you have to reload after every shot or is it semi auto 

9 minutes ago, Stavross said:

A quick question, I no nothing about the marlin, someone told me that you load them like a semi auto shotgun and they take about 20 rounds into a tube, is this true and do you have to reload after every shot or is it semi auto 

It's auto mate. It holds 17.

You can get 22 pump actions.

I had a Remington 527 years ago, well decades ago! It was very good too.

6 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

So I went for the Marlin.

It is in fact a 990 model, a variety of the 60 made between 79 & 87.

Very reliable, after a couple hundred rounds it only malfunctioned a few times with eley subs and t22.

With fiocchi and lasers it's flawless and very accurate. The action is quick and not off putting at all.

I got a nice 47 harder and one at about 130yards, ok I had to walk them into the long one but every one was there just low until I stuck the front sight up enough!

IMG_20190613_143545.jpg.a8daae7df703af28311f3c7b558a97dc.jpg

SD.

I'm not surprised the magpies never returned if you were doing the same grimace at them. I bet you didn't actually shoot that, you grimaced it to death, you scoundrel ????

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Gav said:

I'm not surprised the magpies never returned if you were doing the same grimace at them. I bet you didn't actually shoot that, you grimaced it to death, you scoundrel ????

Yeah and if that don't work I drop my pants!

I conducted a test yesterday. I used the slightest  of light oil in the mechanism.

Within 50 RDS I was getting malfunctions! The combustion gases turned the oil to a sticky sludge. Sludge removed and normal service was restored.

I hazard a guess most issues with auto loading 22's stems from oiled actions!

5 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

Typical American. Heavy.

I have improved it via stoning the sear but kept all the standard springing.

The unit is easier to do than a 1022.

Can you buy an aftermarket trigger?

What is accuracy like with it?

36 minutes ago, ianm said:

Can you buy an aftermarket trigger?

What is accuracy like with it?

Don't know, always do my own trigger work.

It is accurate yes. I have been shooting off hand beyond 100 yds at rabbit head sized targets but my eyes are struggling at that.

• Like 1