Bob Arum sees Muhammad Ali and George Foreman in Briton

5 hours ago, Rusty_terrier said:

I reckon somebody starts a weightlifting thread lol this is a Tyson fury thread.

Anyway here's the big man pulling 250 with terrible form lol

https://youtu.be/cbwLXQQ46HY

yeh  , but its never easy pulling weights like  that more so , when your 6ft 9in  , the tall bloke always at a disadvantage . bit of boxing chat watched the feed back on Aj from  David Haye , and he was bang on the money  with regards Aj, said he got to spar with rough type small blokes, that want to try to knock him out . he got to get this in his game plan, with Ruiz  size and speed of hands, it the only way stop Ruiz onslaught  , now he knows he can hurt Aj ,  he got lead of his jab, try and keep Ruiz backed up, so he carnt land his feet ,then throwing punches . i think Haye spot on with all he said. deff

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not many harder than Foreman....FACT lol... He would've  walked through Fury imo...furys lack of power wouldve been his undoing...Ali in the Jungle forced him to run out of steam...yes he got the

That dementia is a bastrd .

Yeah, you'd think people on a hunting forum would know about hunting. Not always the case Anyway, what makes bob arum an expert on boxing? A lawyer and a boxing promoter, NOT a trainer, coach or

Posted Images

On 18/06/2019 at 15:31, Rusty_terrier said:

I'm quite an obsessive person and enjoy training etc for a few week then I start over thinking things like missing a sessions or a meal, not eating or drinking certain things when I want to etc when in actual fact I should eat what and when I like. What starts as only training to add strength as a hobby with reasonable goals and a bit of fun ends up with me wanting to achieve stuff that is probably unachievable .

Welcome to my world....im still convinced theres something out there i can be world champion at ?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
On 18/06/2019 at 14:01, W. Katchum said:

I can do well for upto 2 weeks at a time an then it feels like I can’t face anything an pretty much starve for 2 days ?? but Iv gained way more than ever before in me life so happy with it so far?

As a youngster we can eat anything thats not nailed down but without constant activity over years our metabolism slows right down.....starving for a day is bad news though if you cant get enough food on board try meal replacements or supplements.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, shaaark said:

Can't be doing with all this app nonsense personally lol. Used a training diary with what exercises, rep count, food intake, everything. And kept it accurate and strict as f**k. Personally can't understand how an app can accurately tell YOU what /when you need to eat,  how long to rest between sets etc.  Nah, not for me lol. 

Hope it goes well for you ?

I agree these apps are good for beginners to training but i equate them to a cab driver learning the roads with a satnav.....they do the brainwork for you and stop you gaining real knowledge......and also the more accomplished you become you ARE going to pick up injuries,you ARE going to have days where your not up to it.....an app cant tell you how to train around injury you have to learn about your own body......we used to have these 3 high tec gadgets back in the day.....pen,paper,clock......they took care of most things.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

I think that’s what I need after this, some sort prog that don’t push for the most ye can do every work out like this 5x5 does, squatting 3 times a week an adding weight every time starts getting daunting ? mentally am physically ? but I’m still progressing so not too worried about failure yet but know it’s coming ??

Adding weight is a part of training i have constantly changed my mind about over the years i am now convinced that at least for my own body i have it sussed and having spoken with other chaps in similar scenarios they agree and have adjusted their training likewise.

The first plateau beginners to lifting usually suffer is around 3 months when they can no longer continually add weight.....and my belief is that their ligaments and tendons cannot keep up with their musculature.....a balanced physique is like an engine where everything is useful to each other and does its own job in getting maximum performance.

For most people its about gaining as much muscle as possible through lifting progressively heavier weights until further increases just cannot be made and gains stop ( a plateau )....this is the point a lot of newcomers pack up lifting but if the correct foundations are put in place via what i always called power assistance exercises progress continues.....You have to commit to incorporating training tendons and ligaments,they take much longer to respond than muscles because they dont have their own blood supply.....similarly to why tendon injuries take longer to heal than muscle injuries......but to get maximum performance from the belly of a muscle its insertion points at the tendons have to be strong enough to withstand the overload on contraction.....read up on boosting collagen and how to train tendons/ligaments i truly believe that beginner/intermediate lifters at their first real plateau are not failing on muscular strength but instead having the foundations to hold that muscular strength......imagine a big v8 engine being held in place by plastic engine mounts.

Its only my theories im not saying im right its just worth keeping in mind.

Edited by gnasher16
  • Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

Adding weight is a part of training i have constantly changed my mind about over the years i am now convinced that at least for my own body i have it sussed and having spoken with other chaps in similar scenarios they agree and have adjusted their training likewise.

The first plateau beginners to lifting usually suffer is around 3 months when they can no longer continually add weight.....and my belief is that their ligaments and tendons cannot keep up with their musculature.....a balanced physique is like an engine where everything is useful to each other and does its own job in getting maximum performance.

For most people its about gaining as much muscle as possible through lifting progressively heavier weights until further increases just cannot be made and gains stop ( a plateau )....this is the point a lot of newcomers pack up lifting but if the correct foundations are put in place via what i always called power assistance exercises progress continues.....You have to commit to incorporating training tendons and ligaments,they take much longer to respond than muscles because they dont have their own blood supply.....similarly to why tendon injuries take longer to heal than muscle injuries......but to get maximum performance from the belly of a muscle its insertion points at the tendons have to be strong enough to withstand the overload on contraction.....read up on boosting collagen and how to train tendons/ligaments i truly believe that beginner/intermediate lifters at their first real plateau are not failing on muscular strength but instead having the foundations to hold that muscular strength......imagine a big v8 engine being held in place by plastic engine mounts.

Its only my theories im not saying im right its just worth keeping in mind.

Which is why I believe a 5x5 routine shouldn't be used in any beginner's program. It forces you to push to your limits before you're ready for that level of training

1 hour ago, W. Katchum said:

That makes sense, I know I’m about to plateau but I won’t quit gnash, it’s no in me nature an rather as seeing this as my final goal I’ll be looking at these weights as goals to beat, besides Iv already paid up for a years membership an no way am I wasting that? 

Never mind ripping tendons off the bone just as long as you dont waste your gym membership ?

The " no guts no glory " routine is great to have but at this stage it really doesnt pay you,ll just injure yourself.....honestly mate start training tendons/ligaments it basically involves lifting heavier weight but in much more restricted movements.....just do it every 3rd session or something if you stick at training you,ll reap the rewards later on.

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Seeing as its down your way an it’s not a big world when your In then know ? you ever heard of the ‘beautiful strength’ gym? Or the guy called Carl Raghavan? 

Ive heard the name mentioned before is it over Putney way im not sure,not really an area i know that well......theres loads of personal trainers popping up nowadays mate some are worth listening to and some are not....like anything i suppose.

8 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Holloway Road? It may aswell be mars to me know nowt of London, he teaches the stuff he was taught by the American Rippetoe, it’s called starting strength programme, I’m not doin that but it’s the same compound lifts as I’m doing an I really wanna try some others he teaches

i know there will be loads out there but his name pops up a lot Cos he part of that franchise. Once I sort a few days off I’ll pop down an let everybody know how it’s went ?

After all this weight lifting if you ever get over to me for a go on the deer it might just come in handy lol

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Holloway Road? It may aswell be mars to me know nowt of London, he teaches the stuff he was taught by the American Rippetoe, it’s called starting strength programme, I’m not doin that but it’s the same compound lifts as I’m doing an I really wanna try some others he teaches

i know there will be loads out there but his name pops up a lot Cos he part of that franchise. Once I sort a few days off I’ll pop down an let everybody know how it’s went ?

oh i know Holloway Rd reasonably well i,ll have an ask around maybe its not who i was thinking it was.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, delswal said:

After all this weight lifting if you ever get over to me for a go on the deer it might just come in handy lol

lol  , bloody  to right mate, drag a 140 lb fallow full length of a muddy field , you soon pop tendons   lol

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/06/2019 at 19:54, maxhardcore said:

Probably the only modern Heavyweight who could of stood alongside and again probably beat most of the Heavyweight Greats of all time?

I’m a fury fan, I’ve always liked him tbh and consider him the best of the current heavyweights. I love the fact a scrap collecting and hare coursing gypsy from Manchester became heavyweight champion of the world. Bartley Gorman lived a few miles up the road from me in Uttoxeter and I’ve heard many tales about the man from the locals there over the years, I’ve read his book, I’ve watched all his YouTube videos etc and I also don’t think it’s no coincidence that 3 of his younger relatives are currently in the top 20 heavyweights in the world (tyson/hughie fury and Nathan Gorman) I like john fury, I think he was probably a nasty and horrible man in his day but I believe most of that would only of been to someone who would do the same to him. There’s no doubt in my mind that gypsy fighters are tough c**ts. BUT the likes of Ali, Frazier and Foreman are on a whole different level. Ali especially was more than just a boxer, the greatest boxer is a title way beneath such a man, he took the sport and invented his own way of doing it. To compare him to tyson fury on any level is just plain dumb. It’s as laughable as the people trying to say Joshua was the next Ali :duh: I remember foreman being asked if he could of beat Ali if they fought a second time round as now he knew what Ali would do.....foreman just laughed and said “he would just do something completely different to beat me up again” Muhammad Ali became a global superstar for what he did in the ring and a household name for what he did out the ring and all in a time before the internet and instachampions making some of these boxers to be something they are not. People are still comparing Joshua to him after the Ruiz fight, saying ridiculous things like “even Ali lost” while completely ignoring the fact his first loss was to a snickers eating overweight Mexican who battered him over 7 rounds while Ali lost to Frazier on points after 15 tough rounds against a man many consider to actually be the greatest but even he himself admits Ali was just special, a one off never to be seen again. 

The world mourned Ali’s death as we lost a special individual that no heavyweight of today should even be mentioned in the same breath as and definitely would of got embarrassed if they had the audacity to step in the ring with him. 

Comparing tyson fury to Muhammad Ali is like comparing Sunderlands under 10’s to the worlds best ever starting 11 in history. FACT.......?

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Stoney100 said:

I’m a fury fan, I’ve always liked him tbh and consider him the best of the current heavyweights. I love the fact a scrap collecting and hare coursing gypsy from Manchester became heavyweight champion of the world. Bartley Gorman lived a few miles up the road from me in Uttoxeter and I’ve heard many tales about the man from the locals there over the years, I’ve read his book, I’ve watched all his YouTube videos etc and I also don’t think it’s no coincidence that 3 of his younger relatives are currently in the top 20 heavyweights in the world (tyson/hughie fury and Nathan Gorman) I like john fury, I think he was probably a nasty and horrible man in his day but I believe most of that would only of been to someone who would do the same to him. There’s no doubt in my mind that gypsy fighters are tough c**ts. BUT the likes of Ali, Frazier and Foreman are on a whole different level. Ali especially was more than just a boxer, the greatest boxer is a title way beneath such a man, he took the sport and invented his own way of doing it. To compare him to tyson fury on any level is just plain dumb. It’s as laughable as the people trying to say Joshua was the next Ali :duh: I remember foreman being asked if he could of beat Ali if they fought a second time round as now he knew what Ali would do.....foreman just laughed and said “he would just do something completely different to beat me up again” Muhammad Ali became a global superstar for what he did in the ring and a household name for what he did out the ring and all in a time before the internet and instachampions making some of these boxers to be something they are not. People are still comparing Joshua to him after the Ruiz fight, saying ridiculous things like “even Ali lost” while completely ignoring the fact his first loss was to a snickers eating overweight Mexican who battered him over 7 rounds while Ali lost to Frazier on points after 15 tough rounds against a man many consider to actually be the greatest but even he himself admits Ali was just special, a one off never to be seen again. 

The world mourned Ali’s death as we lost a special individual that no heavyweight of today should even be mentioned in the same breath as and definitely would of got embarrassed if they had the audacity to step in the ring with him. 

Comparing tyson fury to Muhammad Ali is like comparing Sunderlands under 10’s to the worlds best ever starting 11 in history. FACT.......?

fury is prob the best heavyweight  out there right now, for big tall bloke he very agile with good wind , pity he aint got the ko power to go with it, but he till win most of his fights prob on points . regards  gypys being tough c ... s ok  Gorman might have been, but in general  there not, you might get the odd good fight , but most dont take that much stick, fook me they get stopped by so called refs,  its very rare you ever see real good bang in the face where the bloke out for the count or longer . i seen it one day , where gyps family's were mouthing off in my local pub in w-ton  , it was about7pm   , the gypo  women  were giving the barmaid  a hard time , a bloke i knew was in the pub with his mrs and kid, he was bin man nice bloke always fairly  quite. he told them to shut there mouths and leave the barmaid alone , well that was it, i only just nipped in for a quick pint before i caught the bus to town , so  was out side encase my bus came . well these 2 gypo  blokes  came all over the big i knock for head off we kill yeh all that bollocks  they give, the bloke went out side with them, he hit the one wallop in  face dropped  him there and then, must have bust his nose , he never got up  , he hit the other 2 bangs one in the gut other in face he went down didnt get up, not like the soft vid there put up on youtube  lol, them feckers  had enough deff . i knew this lad could fight he done bit of part time door work , but he was very strong and fit on the bins all day old  type bins back then, not over big say 6ft 14st  , but deff not bloke to get on the wrong side, there thousands  of blokes like him out there who dont have to act the hard man  etc  they just do it  fact .   

• Like 1