Sign in to follow this  
W. Katchum

Kitts

4 minutes ago, mushroom said:

I haven't spoke to Socks so can't really say but in the past I had several Jill's all bringing kitts up together. Largest litter (combined) 22.

I've never done that as it would be too difficult to know which kits were from which litter...I breed only dark sables (poley color and markings) from a sable only background.  I do know of a UK breeder who used to do it routinely but then one litter was poleys and the other sandys.

8 minutes ago, ferret lady said:

I've never done that as it would be too difficult to know which kits were from which litter...I breed only dark sables (poley color and markings) from a sable only background.  I do know of a UK breeder who used to do it routinely but then one litter was poleys and the other sandys.

I only bred workers, never cared for colour etc. What survived, were top class (21 out of 22) apart from one who was a fuuckin devil biting skulker :laugh:

But fed me jills right and let them be. I was always taught; mess with the jill and lose the litter ;)

Edited by mushroom
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, ferret lady said:

Is that all one litter??

No that’s 18 kits two litters .....

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mushroom said:

I only bred workers, never cared for colour etc. What survived, were top class (21 out of 22) apart from one who was a fuuckin devil biting skulker :laugh:

But fed me jills right and let them be. I was always taught; mess with the jill and lose the litter ;)

I breed the dark sables with full pigmentation to avoid the genetic health issues so prevalent in the US fancy colors.  I've been importing my breeding stock since 2004...most from the UK and a few from Europe.  

12 minutes ago, ferret lady said:

I breed the dark sables with full pigmentation to avoid the genetic health issues so prevalent in the US fancy colors.  I've been importing my breeding stock since 2004...most from the UK and a few from Europe.  

You a cowgirl? 😁 do you work yours over there?

3 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

You a cowgirl? 😁 do you work yours over there?

No cowgirl. 😁  I really wish I could work mine as I breed and select for strong hunting instincts, along with a people oriented personality, but it's illegal in almost all states.  Plus, rabbits don't live in warrens in the US.  So I enjoy ferreting vicariously re this forum. 

3 hours ago, ferret lady said:

I've had several litters of 12-14 kits...I counted at least 16 of these.

18-19

9 hours ago, Our team said:

Can't believe someone asked if it's one litter.. 

Why not?

6 hours ago, ferret lady said:

No cowgirl. 😁  I really wish I could work mine as I breed and select for strong hunting instincts, along with a people oriented personality, but it's illegal in almost all states.  Plus, rabbits don't live in warrens in the US.  So I enjoy ferreting vicariously re this forum. 

is it illegal to use ferrets on rats in the usa ferret lady??

8 minutes ago, Our team said:

They don't have that many 

I have had a 16 litter and all lived...

also in graham welsteads book ....he states a 19 litter that all lived.....

17 minutes ago, Our team said:

They don't have that many 

Come on ffs 🤦‍♂️... give up keeping animals, you know fuuck all!

5 hours ago, Our team said:

That's new to me. I never seem combined nursing jills. Do they all  survive?? And were are the jills. Skinny or not.. Just asking. 

Ive NEVER lost kits to cannibalism when you keep jills together when raising kits ........

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TOMO said:

is it illegal to use ferrets on rats in the usa ferret lady??

I'm not sure.  I know ferrets were used for ratting extensively until rat poison was developed and most of the commercial ferret farms either shut down or switched to the pet market.

28 minutes ago, Our team said:

I know you don't belive it but all kits are weaned  and go outside for wee wee and poo poo.. At 5 weeks today.. They even kibbling there tits off... Don't get me wrong again they getting loads of meat and so is mum.. Over and out.. . 

Yes but it’s NOT NATURAL to be weaned that early .... any pups I breed I start them on meat at 3 weeks of age but I wouldn’t completely wean them at that age .......

• Like 1