Plans for 16th

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

first ever match come first with this beast at 11lb 8 a personal best and a good day spent with dad on Father’s Day 

Fired by yesterday's minor triumph I returned to the scene for a couple of hours this evening. I approached the swim with care in case any Environment Agency types were laying in wait after hearing of

After the previous picture of the lovely barbel I feel this post could be an anti-climax. Anyway it was off to the little stream for the second round of the day. Trotting maggots proved useless b

Posted Images

gor to the wye for 12:30 am,the river was right up and colour of oxtail soup...had a few chub,lost 2 good barbel at the net?my mate kev managed 1,rivers dropping off, so fingers crossed?got the swim to myself today.20190616_174909.jpg.95e7d7f88cf09b054096d07f12b14669.jpg

20190617_132253.jpg.cccc72607e9aa8b89c9033f02d61b5b3.jpg

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

gor to the wye for 12:30 am,the river was right up and colour of oxtail soup...had a few chub,lost 2 good barbel at the net?my mate kev managed 1,rivers dropping off, so fingers crossed?got the swim to myself today.20190616_174909.jpg.95e7d7f88cf09b054096d07f12b14669.jpg

20190617_132253.jpg.cccc72607e9aa8b89c9033f02d61b5b3.jpg

Is there room in peg for me lads melting my head at graft today 

2 minutes ago, Robbusher said:

Is there room in peg for me lads melting my head at graft today 

?most the pegs we have cut in are big enough for  2/3 people to fish.....jump in the motor and get down here,I'm here till Wednesday myself?peace and quiet?haddock road,Monmouthshire ?20190617_133805.jpg.9922150c2850c3c7036db0d5da2ab54b.jpg

• Like 1
9 hours ago, comanche said:

Float made from a broken arrow shaft,landing net pole made from a bit of bamboo stolen from a customer's bonfire and "flamed" for a faux vintage look. 

Actually,I think "proper fishin' " generally involves more skill and fractionally bigger fish than the ones I usually catch . But I'd rather be the numpty who accidentally lassooed a 2lb pike , than be  sleeping in a kid's play tent waiting for a carp that's been caught so many times it has its own section in the bankside visitor's book to pick-up  a factory vomited ,sphere of junk food.

I was seated next to a guy on the plane coming over here a few months back. I was reading Rod Hutchinson's 'The Carp Strikes Back' and the guy next to me kept looking at a photo on his phone. Eventually we got talking and he showed by a photo of a 62lb carp he had caught in a lake on the area I cover mole trapping. He had paid €1,000 for exclusive use of a small 4 acre lake with a bivvy already set up and collection from the airport. This was his fifth or sixth visit in a year and all his tackle is stored at the lake. I had a look online and it seems that there are the same four or five fish being caught every week. Basically 'anglers' and I use that word advisedly, are paying a grand a week to take their turn to stand behind a monster carp.

As we came in over Limoges I pointed out the River Vienne and told him that I had caught carp to the mid thirties and seen a 44lb carp caught from stretches that are free to fish. He wasn't interested. But then again, neither was I in his type of fishing.

Different world.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

?most the pegs we have cut in are big enough for  2/3 people to fish.....jump in the motor and get down here,I'm here till Wednesday myself?peace and quiet?haddock road,Monmouthshire ?20190617_133805.jpg.9922150c2850c3c7036db0d5da2ab54b.jpg

Wish I could sweet F A get done if I’m not there 

4 hours ago, Nicepix said:

I was seated next to a guy on the plane coming over here a few months back. I was reading Rod Hutchinson's 'The Carp Strikes Back' and the guy next to me kept looking at a photo on his phone. Eventually we got talking and he showed by a photo of a 62lb carp he had caught in a lake on the area I cover mole trapping. He had paid €1,000 for exclusive use of a small 4 acre lake with a bivvy already set up and collection from the airport. This was his fifth or sixth visit in a year and all his tackle is stored at the lake. I had a look online and it seems that there are the same four or five fish being caught every week. Basically 'anglers' and I use that word advisedly, are paying a grand a week to take their turn to stand behind a monster carp.

As we came in over Limoges I pointed out the River Vienne and told him that I had caught carp to the mid thirties and seen a 44lb carp caught from stretches that are free to fish. He wasn't interested. But then again, neither was I in his type of fishing.

Different world.

Not for me even if I had the odd few grand to spare,but as long as he enjoys himself. 

I worry that the continual catching of the same fishes in semi captive conditions and the ,to some people ,almost obscene use of vast quantities of human grade foodstuffs as bait will turn round and bite us when the antis get properly tuned into angling . 

And I'm sorry to say they may have a point.

Of course the truth is that I tend to fish alone in funny little corners and hide behind a love of decrepit tackle because I'm not a particularly good angler. But I do enjoy myself ; just like the bloke who lays out £1000 for a few nights in a tent and the chance to see if his favourite carp has put on a few ounces since his last visit.

Each to his own...

Edited by comanche

Fired by yesterday's minor triumph I returned to the scene for a couple of hours this evening. I approached the swim with care in case any Environment Agency types were laying in wait after hearing of my pike snaring prowess.

Hm ,and there I am spouting angling ethics in my last post...

Well it went pretty much the same as yesterday; plenty of tiddlers and would you believe; it another jack pike,this time on a worm.

At first I thought I had latched onto the same fish as yesterday but when I landed it I realised my first pike was a bit bigger with a small scar on its cheek. 

I look foward to catching both fish again later in the year when Simon ,as I have named him might go close to 2 .5 lbs and Adrian a few grams over two and a quarter.

20190617_210546.jpg.02c279944a1d2dbe3e35b2b5335535dc.jpg

Little Adrian can't believe his luck. He's only been caught once but already has been given a name!

• Like 5
  • Haha 3