Plans for 16th

11 minutes ago, Gav said:

Oh man I'm jealous of cats, wish we had them here, I'll swap you for slimey fresh water eels ??

To be honest catfish and carp can be a pain if you are targeting the more noble barbel. Twice in a month last year  I got a 6 foot twitch, once with the old Speedia on a light rod - actually burnt my thumb the reel was spinning so fast. ?

The best way to catch catfish for me is using a bass rod and multiplier and spinning for them. They tend to take the spinner just as it splashes into the water. 90% of the time if you don't get a take on the splash you don't get one on the retrieve. A lot of the places I fish for carp and barbel are full of brambles and fallen tree branches with a 3 foot drop into 3 foot of water so landing anything over 20lb is a bit tricky. For cats it is best to wade into the shallower stretches and spin for them. They average between 18lb and 35lb when on the spinner and these provide good sport for the 9foot Ugly Stick and ABU 6500C outfit. I don't bother trying to land them and just unhook them in the water.

• Like 2

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

first ever match come first with this beast at 11lb 8 a personal best and a good day spent with dad on Father’s Day 

Fired by yesterday's minor triumph I returned to the scene for a couple of hours this evening. I approached the swim with care in case any Environment Agency types were laying in wait after hearing of

After the previous picture of the lovely barbel I feel this post could be an anti-climax. Anyway it was off to the little stream for the second round of the day. Trotting maggots proved useless b

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

some nice fish there fella.....them cats be right up my street?there's carp to 30lb in the section of river I'm fishing tomorrow ...

I'll give you a little tip. Don't bother with boilies and pellets and all that expensive stuff. Buy a bag of Frolicks dog biscuits and fish them like this:

806162694_Frolicksonhair2_edited-1.jpg.e9209032fbfbe96517d05f50437139fe.jpg

Or use two 10mm bait bands on a hair and break a little segment out of the Frolick so they resemble a "C" shape so they can slip onto the band. Fish these with 6 or 7 broken biscuit in a PVA bag and if there are fish in the swim you'll soon know about it.

These Frolicks and simple maize grain baits account for over three-quarters of my carp and barbel.

• Like 3
14 minutes ago, Nicepix said:

I'll give you a little tip. Don't bother with boilies and pellets and all that expensive stuff. Buy a bag of Frolicks dog biscuits and fish them like this:

806162694_Frolicksonhair2_edited-1.jpg.e9209032fbfbe96517d05f50437139fe.jpg

Or use two 10mm bait bands on a hair and break a little segment out of the Frolick so they resemble a "C" shape so they can slip onto the band. Fish these with 6 or 7 broken biscuit in a PVA bag and if there are fish in the swim you'll soon know about it.

These Frolicks and simple maize grain baits account for over three-quarters of my carp and barbel.

I always carry a good selection of baits with me?fish with of pva mesh/bags etc,only thing I'm missing is a few gallons of maggot .with this rain we've had the water will be coloured so will go with something stinky,mold some paste around my leads,that tends to draw the barbel in having a good scent trail helps here?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Be the Swale way mate am will prob do a few bits over the week, can’t tell you any more than that or I’d have to kill ye??

Lol respect your style ha ha! Just looked on shoothill guage map and it's well up. I wasn't asking where,  got my little secret spots too ?

• Like 1

Two hour session completed this morning from 5am till 7am. Six lovely chub from a very small river ranging from two to just over three pounds with the best at 3-14. Not huge by national standards but great sport from a very small river / stream.

DSCF3654[1].JPG

• Like 6
9 minutes ago, chrismdd said:

Two hour session completed this morning from 5am till 7am. Six lovely chub from a very small river ranging from two to just over three pounds with the best at 3-14. Not huge by national standards but great sport from a very small river / stream.

DSCF3654[1].JPG

Catching a near 4lb chub from a small river is every bit as hard as catching one double the size from a larger venue. ? 

Arthur Ransome wrote an article entitled 'Fishing in Lilliput' and he described how catching the largest fish in the stream even if it was a small trout of 7 or 8 inches is equal to someone catching a 3lb trout in a chalk stream. Bother are at the top of the pyramid and catching them  deserves equal recognition. I love fishing small rivers, but for some reason am not bothered about fishing small ponds.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

my mates tipped up in the camper around 2 am,we had a good drink?only just put my rods out?get a cooked brekkie on the go,I may feel a bit better?

Hope you remembered your dog biscuits ? ?, I want to see a pic of a double barbel before 6pm today!