Plans for 16th

What are people planning for Sunday when we can get back on rivers bit of rain come down last couple of days in my area so rivers will have extra water in think I’ll be trying for the barbel on first match of season 

• Like 1

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

first ever match come first with this beast at 11lb 8 a personal best and a good day spent with dad on Father’s Day 

Fired by yesterday's minor triumph I returned to the scene for a couple of hours this evening. I approached the swim with care in case any Environment Agency types were laying in wait after hearing of

After the previous picture of the lovely barbel I feel this post could be an anti-climax. Anyway it was off to the little stream for the second round of the day. Trotting maggots proved useless b

Posted Images

I was planning to anchor a canoe and trot the middle of the local tidal river but after this rain I might be better finding an eddy or backwater. 

Failing that it's a ten minute walk with the dog to a little mill-stream.

A fish of any size or species would be more than welcome?

• Like 2

I plan on hitting the Wye...I've put in 40 kg of pellets since 14th March.....Will be setting off 12 o'clock Saturday nite,set up get my head down and fish through to the Wednesday....can't remember the last time we had so much rain before the season starts....should do well and be into fish from the off?good luck men?20190106_211148.jpg.e4795d270e0b0abda4afb690178b1395.jpg

• Like 3

Im heading to London on the 18th to watch fleetwood mac at Wembley what’s a Tuesday so on the Friday I’ll be heading to the Trent at collingham see if i can get my first barbel of the season see if i can beat my pb of 11.4 atb longers01 

• Like 2
12 hours ago, longers01 said:

Im heading to London on the 18th to watch fleetwood mac at Wembley what’s a Tuesday so on the Friday I’ll be heading to the Trent at collingham see if i can get my first barbel of the season see if i can beat my pb of 11.4 atb longers01 

good luck mate?enjoy the fleetwood?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, W. Katchum said:

Gonna be jam packed on river this weekend an still a lot water comin off dales so still rising. I’ll work like an chain gang negroid all weekend an have the banks to meself all week I think ?

Always makes me laugh that ole "work like a nigga" most work shy race going! Who the hell thought of making them slaves, unless the early ones could graft, think your aisians are better at putting the hours in! 

• Haha 2

No close season over here, but the up and down weather has caused lot of issues regards spawning times for some species. Some carp have and others haven't. Tench haven't and it seems neither have the barbel. I'm leaving the tench until next month.

On 13/06/2019 at 19:19, Daniel cain said:

I plan on hitting the Wye...I've put in 40 kg of pellets since 14th March.....Will be setting off 12 o'clock Saturday nite,set up get my head down and fish through to the Wednesday....can't remember the last time we had so much rain before the season starts....should do well and be into fish from the off?good luck men?20190106_211148.jpg.e4795d270e0b0abda4afb690178b1395.jpg

I've just been to a swim I haven't fished for a couple of years. While I was there I heard a car pull up and then at least twenty loads of bait hit the water about 50 metres downstream. The guy came up and asked how I was doing. It seems that he puts in loads of shovel fulls of maize every day or so to ensure that he catches when he night fishes in an area where no night fishing is allowed. He then went on and baited up anther two or three swims upstream with the same quantities. Unsurprisingly I hadn't had a bite. I don't understand the mentality of those who pre-bait to that extent. Its like shooting fish in a barrel when you regularly pile bait into a few swims and the rest of the length gets nothing.

The way I fish is to initially walk the lengths and use water craft to locate where the fish are. I might use polaroids, binoculars, a fish finder and / or plummet and float to get an idea of the bottom features and depths and check for snags, water temperatures, etc and make notes. Then I'll go back another time to fish specifically for the fish I am after by using appropriate baits and methods.  I can't do with all this making the fish bait dependent and then chucking your hook bait into the area where the fish are waiting for their regular feeding session. It takes all the skill out of fishing IMO.

Edited by Nicepix
4 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Gonna be jam packed on river this weekend an still a lot water comin off dales so still rising. I’ll work like an chain gang negroid all weekend an have the banks to meself all week I think ?

Good plan! Where are you planning on going w.katchum? I cant go this year as I've got 14 more days of 12 hour shifts left to go covering holidays! 1st year I've not been there for over 10 years to wet a line at midnight. Are you gonna be on the swale?

Missus has got into running over the last couple of years resulting in a couple of half marathons. This Sunday she is running a 10k and will be out the house at 9am. So with young kids I will be getting up before first light and travelling light with an avon rod casting big black slugs to chub. Making sure I'm back before 9am.

• Like 3
On 13/06/2019 at 17:49, Devon Minnow said:

Prawns are in the fridge, the river has at last for some water in. Hopefully so salmon will start to run?

Good luck Devon minnow. Are the prawns for salmon ? And do you pick up other species on them? Cheers atb Tom.