Good read

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

send my kids to school with rabbit sandwiches..they tuck into squirrel,wood pidgeon,venison and get stuck in with helping me butcher stuff?

I didn't catch a hundred last season mate but I had a right good time falling over and gerrin lost 

I presume you have read the great game mate I found that a good read.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Black neck said:

You know it makes sense furg the used to have grey hounds but the looked rough coated and only lord and kings were allowed to run them at stuff 

Yeah, if you believe all that mullarkey ?

On ‎12‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 20:06, Saltmoon said:

Just got story's in really mate about poaching nearly getting caught on big estates by keepers not read it all yet about half way through now lots of different things in there what used to happen to the meat the old butcher down the road in the village it's times long gone but I really like the book and I'm not a reader unless I'm intrested about it so not many books out there for me 

I presume you have read the great game mate I found that a good read.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just finished reading lurchers and longdogs by E.G. Walsh, very good read, has a bit of history, training, feeding and some good stories, first published 1977, also got Rebecca the lurcher from same  shop but its not keeping my interest as well.

33 minutes ago, NE_Monkey said:

Just finished reading lurchers and longdogs by E.G. Walsh, very good read, has a bit of history, training, feeding and some good stories, first published 1977, also got Rebecca the lurcher from same  shop but its not keeping my interest as well.

Best lurcher book ever wrote imho .I have the poachers companion and to be honest its just a book with different story's from other writers from the past.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, NE_Monkey said:

Has anybody read any of his other books? I fancy reading the poachers companion and the English whippet.

The English Whippet is a very good book. Bought my copy from coch y bonddu book stall, last time I was at the welsh game fair, 2008

• Like 2
1 hour ago, shaaark said:

The English Whippet is a very good book. Bought my copy from coch y bonddu book stall, last time I was at the welsh game fair, 

Cheers

Both books are now ordered, just need some tea and biscuits. Only problem is, it makes you want the season to come quicker.

• Like 1
On ‎14‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 19:27, shaaark said:

Thinkning about it properly t c, I think lurchers were far less common than people imagine, and only really started getting popular in the 1970's. How long have people in this country been poaching for, and probably about 90% of it without a dog at all?

My thought's exactly a running dog would have brought unwanted attention from keepers even when walking along the public highway . I remember my mate telling me he once got a fine for walking two flappers along the lanes of the Wentworth estate in the early 70s when the keepers backed up by the village bobby who the estate let shoot on their claimed he had been coursing hares when he had not sett foot off the roads it cost him a court appearance and a fine despite pleading his innocence .

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, tatsblisters said:

My thought's exactly a running dog would have brought unwanted attention from keepers even when walking along the public highway . I remember my mate telling me he once got a fine for walking two flappers along the lanes of the Wentworth estate in the early 70s when the keepers backed up by the village bobby who the estate let shoot on their claimed he had been coursing hares when he had not sett foot off the roads it cost him a court appearance and a fine despite pleading his innocence .

I went on there twice but it was dark both times so cant remember it much, lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, tatsblisters said:

Yep, early 70's was when my family started with the greyhounds. And you'd get the odd look off the cops and comments from various individuals.

Mad how times have changed. Can't walk anywhere these days without seeing at least a few running dogs, whatever the type/breed, every time you go for a walk lol ?