https://www.shootinguk.co.uk/reviews/shotgun/17hmr-calibre-sound-moderators-review

This may help but it's a few years old and times move on.

I run a Sirocco SM11 on my HMR, the second!  The first died and Edgar Bros replaced under warranty. 

When the second SM11 dies it will get a SAK just like my WMR and 2 x .22lr!

:thumbs:

Edit

Personally I think the Sako mod has the edge on both the above for sound moderation, but the difference is minimal, the minus for the Sako is length.   

SAK wins overall for me without doubt!

Edited by Deker
  • Like 3
3 minutes ago, villaman said:

How about wildcat panther or are they a wast of money 

A moderator on any firearm where the bullet is faster than the speed of sound will only ever have an effect on the propellant crack.   Wildcat Moderators were always pretty decent on centrefires but have never really transferred this to their rimfire moderators.  The Panther is expensive as you mention, but I think I'm right in saying it can be purchased as a 17 Specific mod, this may give it an edge on some which are commonly 22/17.   I'd be interested to hear myself if anyone has one and can give it an impartial review!

HMR ammo is all faster than the speed of sound so you will get a sonic boom with ANY moderator fitted a few feet after the bullet leaves the barrel, this is caused by the bullet passing through the sound barrier, no moderator will stop this.   

• Like 1
13 hours ago, villaman said:

Never heard of them , who makes them?

DM80  are made by Dave Mercer in Farnworth nr Bolton. I have changed all my mods to DM80s i really like them. 

The DM80 i heard wasn't on my hmr because i don't have one, it was on someone's i know. They are fully strippable aswell which is handy.

Edited by ianm
13 minutes ago, ianm said:

DM80  are made by Dave Mercer in Farnworth nr Bolton. I have changed all my mods to DM80s i really like them. 

The DM80 i heard wasn't on my hmr because i don't have one, it was on someone's i know. They are fully strippable aswell which is handy.

Have you any contact details or Dave Mercer?

On 10/06/2019 at 10:50, Rimfireboy! said:

I use an LEI .17 dedicated mod. It’s small, well made, works well, but, they are expensive for a rimfire mod.

Same here. I paid £120 for mine. I bought it coz I like how small it is.