• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Iv got a Gwp x here , she’s exactly what moorman has said she’s big powerful , run all day , hunt and kill well she’s good at that too and very quick !  She retrieves Iv never taught it I was sta

Unfortunately this one is no longer with me but from my limited experience I'd say the gwp offers a lot more than the rabbiting I did with mine

I don't think it ends debate, it would be nice if it ended the crabbing of anything different to what people personally know but thats probably a bit much to ask lol. There's plenty to talk about

Posted Images

this is a funny thread, I have been a bit critical of some obscure crosses and been criticised by others with no knowledge either, some have seen them and say they good, someone offering a stud dog wont here a bad word but wont give a constructive evaluation of their worth good and bad, you have one coco but wont for whatever reason tell people what you like or dislike about this dog in a lurcher, if it is only any good for ranging bleak mountains then its a one trick pony and will be found wanting in other areas, now I have no intention of owning one nor have most other people, and I wont be entering into any silly arguments, but some constructive comments from those with a reel knowledge of this LURCHER, might be very interesting, after all every day is a school day, and it may prevent the novice from  making a  wrong choice, and getting the wrong dog on a whim, or worse still breading some.

10 minutes ago, two crows said:

this is a funny thread, I have been a bit critical of some obscure crosses and been criticised by others with no knowledge either, some have seen them and say they good, someone offering a stud dog wont here a bad word but wont give a constructive evaluation of their worth good and bad, you have one coco but wont for whatever reason tell people what you like or dislike about this dog in a lurcher, if it is only any good for ranging bleak mountains then its a one trick pony and will be found wanting in other areas, now I have no intention of owning one nor have most other people, and I wont be entering into any silly arguments, but some constructive comments from those with a reel knowledge of this LURCHER, might be very interesting, after all every day is a school day, and it may prevent the novice from  making a  wrong choice, and getting the wrong dog on a whim, or worse still breading some.

As I’ve said like us all we’ve all been around the block many of times and seen loads of different types of lurchers doing there day/night time jobs we’ve all made mistakes in buying or having a mutt off a friend so my advice go out with the people your buying or having a pup off and then decide or take your chance on that mutt otherwise it’s like buying a lottery ticket you win some loose loads atb

• Like 1
1 hour ago, two crows said:

Pointer on here had a gwp x lurcher ,did everything with it from what I can remember rattling ,ferreting etc and if I can still remember rightly it impressed him that much he went and got a pure?

From what I can gather both coco and Wales its the collie blood and habits showing through in their dogs that is causing them to be cautious in forming an opinion? 

What you need is someone who's worked a gwp x grey as then the pointer blood and mannerisms should show more .

• Like 1
3 hours ago, forest of dean redneck said:

Pointer on here had a gwp x lurcher ,did everything with it from what I can remember rattling ,ferreting etc and if I can still remember rightly it impressed him that much he went and got a pure?

From what I can gather both coco and Wales its the collie blood and habits showing through in their dogs that is causing them to be cautious in forming an opinion? 

What you need is someone who's worked a gwp x grey as then the pointer blood and mannerisms should show more .

Yes I’ve got one here totally different animal but hopping the collie influence grows up lol

5 hours ago, two crows said:

I have given you my input so don't go saying I won't hear a bad word about them. A lurcher is what you make it I have worked many a cross. I already said if you want a robust hunting type lurcher that will make an outstanding daytime type of dog then a GWP cross would be an excellent choice. It will work in all the usual ways ie day/night but would excel at day work. They aren't for everyone and need someone that is firm in their schooling. I only offered him at stud as there is a lot of interest in the cross, I have never worked a GWP cross but have seen them work and they can tick all the boxes. If anyone wants a stud off the dog to a running dog then they are welcome. 

People shouldn't buy or breed any dog on a whim. If anyone wants to breed this type of lurcher then I am sure that they will be someone that has looked into the cross and knows what it will bring to the party!

• Like 1

This is a gsp x grey apparently and it's a nervous wreck but most likely down to mistreatment and time spent in the pound rather than the type 

Just thought I'd get me head in like

20190607_184914.jpg

Edited by Black neck
Spelling

Theres unusual is crosses about such as birds dog and few others there not popular and like these gwp xs folks what have got them are saying there not for everyone but no one is saying why there not 

And I know not any 1 x is for everyone but why not tell us about it 

• Like 1