• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Iv got a Gwp x here , she’s exactly what moorman has said she’s big powerful , run all day , hunt and kill well she’s good at that too and very quick !  She retrieves Iv never taught it I was sta

Unfortunately this one is no longer with me but from my limited experience I'd say the gwp offers a lot more than the rabbiting I did with mine

I don't think it ends debate, it would be nice if it ended the crabbing of anything different to what people personally know but thats probably a bit much to ask lol. There's plenty to talk about

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Moorman 1 said:

I honestly couldn't say but it wouldn't make any difference. Once you let them run a few they would run in any way. A pointer can only point if the game sits tight once the game moves on then so will the dog, if that makes any sense.

Ive owned lurchers that point at game sat tight in the day its natural i think. I do remember seeing a video of some pointer pups all pointing a feather was good i though for them not try pawing it or anything first.

5 minutes ago, C.green said:

Ive owned lurchers that point at game sat tight in the day its natural i think. I do remember seeing a video of some pointer pups all pointing a feather was good i though for them not try pawing it or anything first.

Thats right a lot of lurchers do point naturally to a degree especially with a bit of collie in the mix. Yes pointer pups will sight point bird wings or feathers on a bit of string, this is actually different to scent pointing.

• Like 1
On 08/06/2019 at 18:49, Tyla said:

Cracks me up how blinkered some can be. We all hunt in different ways on different terrains in different parts of the country, how can a man at one end the country comment on whether or not a particular cross is any good elsewhere?

A dog thats suits me here would be no good for someone who's hunting an open moor and nor would I want a dog that excels at hunting a long distance out. Doesn't mean either is no good just not necessarily suited to the local terrain.

A lurcher is alot of things to alot of people, they aren't one tricks ponies and different tasks suit different crosses. How is that so hard to comprehend?

Absolutely mate...

Was up in North Wales with white van man last year, my dogs didn't know how to hunt in that style, they just don't range far enough...most of our hunting is farmland, bushing, lamping ferreting etc....

The big dog caught a few bits, because she is quick mainly...but Geths lurcher was different class at that game, we could watch him hung from on top of the mountains right down to the valley...

My dogs look for me, is it the breed? Maybe. Or how they're brought on, probably .. they suit me 80% of the time on my land...

Now a pointer cross on that land would Excell I'd imagine, ranging, hunting up, not many runs for the amount of hunting required...I loved the style of hunting (we do a bit on the moors here, but it's not desolate enough).... but it's 6 hours for us to get there so my dogs have to work the land and style we hunt most of the time...

Great seeing other styles of working lurchers, putting them in one pot and saying that's all you need would be foolish....and pretty boring to be honest 

• Like 5
10 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

Absolutely mate...

Was up in North Wales with white van man last year, my dogs didn't know how to hunt in that style, they just don't range far enough...most of our hunting is farmland, bushing, lamping ferreting etc....

The big dog caught a few bits, because she is quick mainly...but Geths lurcher was different class at that game, we could watch him hung from on top of the mountains right down to the valley...

My dogs look for me, is it the breed? Maybe. Or how they're brought on, probably .. they suit me 80% of the time on my land...

Now a pointer cross on that land would Excell I'd imagine, ranging, hunting up, not many runs for the amount of hunting required...I loved the style of hunting (we do a bit on the moors here, but it's not desolate enough).... but it's 6 hours for us to get there so my dogs have to work the land and style we hunt most of the time...

Great seeing other styles of working lurchers, putting them in one pot and saying that's all you need would be foolish....and pretty boring to be honest 

It's exactly the same when I go up to see Owain, my dogs aren't used to covering that sort of distance without me. I wouldn't want them to either to be honest, if they did it at home they'd be crossing roads and all sorts! 

We also have alot more cover and game here, no chance of being able to see them a k away and not much chance of them going that far without bumping something. I like to have at least a vague idea of where they are and what they are doing lol

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

Absolutely mate...

good post that kev?

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Tyla said:

It's exactly the same when I go up to see Owain, my dogs aren't used to covering that sort of distance without me. I wouldn't want them to either to be honest, if they did it at home they'd be crossing roads and all sorts! 

We also have alot more cover and game here, no chance of being able to see them a k away and not much chance of them going that far without bumping something. I like to have at least a vague idea of where they are and what they are doing lol

Yeah it's that searching miles for 1 or 2 runs we just don't have...even on the moors it's not the same...

As you say, I need my dogs fairly close, a long hedge rows, dykes etc.

Bloody loved standing on top of the mountains looking down over at the dogs working away....mine 100 yards in front waiting for a bolt lol

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Wales1234 said:

Iv got a Gwp x here , she’s exactly what moorman has said she’s big powerful , run all day , hunt and kill well she’s good at that too and very quick ! 

She retrieves Iv never taught it I was standing on a track on a bushing day caught her game and straight back as I was saying to the boys she won’t retrieve lol 

she took a long time to mature still a puppy takes abit to settle in to a hunting day , she’s good on the lamp aswell never hunted up or opened up I like her 

656CD1D4-737A-47C7-B951-5785C5CA8741.jpeg

50F3B60A-035D-44FE-9872-D5F2DBE156D5.jpeg

I’ve stamp of dog that. I would have this type in a heartbeat if I was up on my permission in north wales more often. Wouldn’t do this type any justice where I am most of the time. She Looks a good type to have up on the hill ?

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, white van man said:

I’ve stamp of dog that. I would have this type in a heartbeat if I was up on my permission in north wales more often. Wouldn’t do this type any justice where I am most of the time. She Looks a good type to have up on the hill ?

She’s a nice type mate I’m sure she will be a very good when she settles just not much around here so getting her to concentrate is difficult 

9 hours ago, Wales1234 said:

Iv got a Gwp x here , she’s exactly what moorman has said she’s big powerful , run all day , hunt and kill well she’s good at that too and very quick ! 

She retrieves Iv never taught it I was standing on a track on a bushing day caught her game and straight back as I was saying to the boys she won’t retrieve lol 

she took a long time to mature still a puppy takes abit to settle in to a hunting day , she’s good on the lamp aswell never hunted up or opened up I like her 

Very nice looking animal Ow....

Hope you're well mate.

11 hours ago, Wales1234 said:

Remember you had a pup,stunning looking animal,don't see you on here much ?

• Like 2