• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Iv got a Gwp x here , she’s exactly what moorman has said she’s big powerful , run all day , hunt and kill well she’s good at that too and very quick !  She retrieves Iv never taught it I was sta

Unfortunately this one is no longer with me but from my limited experience I'd say the gwp offers a lot more than the rabbiting I did with mine

I don't think it ends debate, it would be nice if it ended the crabbing of anything different to what people personally know but thats probably a bit much to ask lol. There's plenty to talk about

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Moorman 1 said:

Why put any breed on a running dog? what does a collie or a bull add?

The GWP cross would be a purpose bred day dog (in my opinion). If you haven't seen GWP's work then you probably wouldn't understand what they would add. They are a hunting machine with bottomless stamina. Basically strength, stamina, robustness, nose, biddability and heart. They would make a great daytime dog for hill type country as has been proven in the past.

Tbh I haven't seen one work. A friend of mine has one and has had GWPs for about 10yrs now. He loves em for rough shooting etc and his work a lonnnng day. 

Guess on the right land it would make the perfect mix. ?

• Like 1
9 hours ago, ryaldinhio said:

Tbh I haven't seen one work. A friend of mine has one and has had GWPs for about 10yrs now. He loves em for rough shooting etc and his work a lonnnng day. 

Guess on the right land it would make the perfect mix. ?

They are reportedly the most versatile HPR breed out there. At the end of the day any working breed crossed with a sight hound will make a useable animal that will catch game. If you want something with nose, drive and a very robust animal then you wouldn't be disappointed with a GWP cross. The way some people are talking about them ranging off into the sunset shows that they haven't seen a GWP work. They naturally keep in touch with the handler, also they naturally widen their beat when working larger more open ground and naturally reign it in when on tighter in country. They are a very versatile dog and would surprise a lot of you, I'm not saying they would suit everyone but then again nothing does!

I only offered him at stud as there is a lot of interest in the cross and people may find it difficult to secure a lining on a sight hound from a pure dog that works.

Edited by Moorman 1
  • Like 11
6 minutes ago, Moorman 1 said:

They are reportedly the most versatile HPR breed out there. At the end of the day any working breed crossed with a sight hound will make a useable animal that will catch game. If you want something with nose, drive and a very robust animal then you wouldn't be disappointed with a GWP cross. The way some people are talking about them ranging off into the sunset shows that they haven't seen a GWP work. They naturally keep in touch with the handler, also they naturally widen their beat when working larger more open ground and naturally reign it in when on tighter in country. They are a very versatile dog and would surprise a lot of you, I'm not saying they would suit everyone but then again nothing does!

I only offered him at stud as there is a lot of interest in the cross and people may find it difficult to secure a lining on a sight hound from a pure dog that works.

good post, if your working to the gun I would assume you keep them in shot or there abouts, as I would with my cockers, I know you get a bit of time to get in position while the dog is on point. perhaps a good description of just how these dogs work, and any traits to look for good or bad may be helpful for any one considering using one, in order to avoid using something on a whim, and ending up with the wrong cross, all the tried and tested stuff is well known and still mistakes are maid.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, two crows said:

good post, if your working to the gun I would assume you keep them in shot or there abouts, as I would with my cockers, I know you get a bit of time to get in position while the dog is on point. perhaps a good description of just how these dogs work, and any traits to look for good or bad may be helpful for any one considering using one, in order to avoid using something on a whim, and ending up with the wrong cross, all the tried and tested stuff is well known and still mistakes are maid.

No its the opposite to how a spaniel would work, thats the whole point in a pointer (no pun intended!). They can range out a good distance but within sight (out of gunshot range), if they find they point, which allows you time to get into position etc etc. I personally don't use mine with a gun his primary role is as a falconry dog, but he does find and mark vermin to ground on a lot of commercial shoots at the end of the shooting season.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Moorman 1 said:

No its the opposite to how a spaniel would work, thats the whole point in a pointer (no pun intended!). They can range out a good distance but within sight (out of gunshot range), if they find they point, which allows you time to get into position etc etc. I personally don't use mine with a gun his primary role is as a falconry dog, but he does find and mark vermin to ground on a lot of commercial shoots at the end of the shooting season.

do you think or know, if the pointing trait comes through in the crosses.

2 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

I saw a couple of the coursing x ones but only the once an they had endless wind an lamped all night with us an had decent bags, if I remember one fcuked off for 20 mins at start of night but lad said it was Cos it had never been in land with so much scent, which was understandable an they soon settled down, retrieve lacked but they wasn’t lamp dogs or atleast wasn’t used for the lamp game regular. Real nice animals like the one in picture maybe a tad lighter framed? Bet there’s old pics on here somewhere beem a few threads over the years ?

that appeals to me more than a greyhound one (not that im'e kennel blind in any way you must understand)

3 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Iv had a couple a coursing dog x lamp dogs an they make decent animals, saw a couple of coursing dog x base types, ( coursing x full bull, coursing x ful wheaten an a coursing x collie) an I have to say if the coursing blood was proper tightly bred then I’d have a first X out one over a greyhound in a flash, but thing is most folk that breed a litter of first x’s, whatever the type don’t wanna use a coursing dog instead of a grey. An I be fcukered as I can’t be fcuked on breeding a litter meself?

I keep thing about lamper cross coursing type back to a full bull but would the size be there.

Edited by C.green
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Iv had a couple a coursing dog x lamp dogs an they make decent animals, saw a couple of coursing dog x base types, ( coursing x full bull, coursing x ful wheaten an a coursing x collie) an I have to say if the coursing blood was proper tightly bred then I’d have a first X out one over a greyhound in a flash, but thing is most folk that breed a litter of first x’s, whatever the type don’t wanna use a coursing dog instead of a grey. An I be fcukered as I can’t be fcuked on breeding a litter meself?

when plummer was on the go he used to condemn the use of saluki blood in anything, and that has stuck with the gullible for years, but I think people are realising the benefits now.

Just now, two crows said:

when plummer was on the go he used to condemn the use of saluki blood in anything, and that has stuck with the gullible for years, but I think people are realising the benefits now.

They aint the be all and end all they add abit but take away alot in my view. 

22 minutes ago, two crows said:

do you think or know, if the pointing trait comes through in the crosses.

I honestly couldn't say but it wouldn't make any difference. Once you let them run a few they would run in any way. A pointer can only point if the game sits tight once the game moves on then so will the dog, if that makes any sense.

• Like 2