23 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

They ain’t bushers tho, an they can do all the same jobs as your lurcher but maybe not as good like yours won’t be as good at hunting up, not bushing. An if you live in an area that has hardly no game per square mile then you best be happy blanking, an again some folk don’t wanna see the fast runs up close that take a minute if your lucky, some want to watch a dog find scent in a vast area an watch the dog work out where it’s come from an where it’s going an see him work it, everybodys diff

that's the only place I see them beating anything else, and if you can see it happening through the bins be quite a show, otherwise no point, no pun intended my mates good pointer used to go on point, and he would sometimes  have to go quite a way and flush whatever it was, it was a sheep one day caught in the brambles.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Iv got a Gwp x here , she’s exactly what moorman has said she’s big powerful , run all day , hunt and kill well she’s good at that too and very quick !  She retrieves Iv never taught it I was sta

Unfortunately this one is no longer with me but from my limited experience I'd say the gwp offers a lot more than the rabbiting I did with mine

I don't think it ends debate, it would be nice if it ended the crabbing of anything different to what people personally know but thats probably a bit much to ask lol. There's plenty to talk about

Posted Images

29 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

The point I imagine is if that’s the only land you’ve got then it’s catch the odd critter with summat like a pointerx or become a dog walker ? they ain’t totally useless animals doing other jobs either, just not as good as say a purpose bred dog for that task, but if your willing to live with odd fault( which happens with most types) then they do make decent lurchers if it’s the sort a dog you want

iv said it in here a few times an lurcher work ain’t mythical or magical, Iv had a fair few diff types now over the years an have made half decent dogs out most, I did gel with some more than others an some where obviously better at some jobs than others, but that’s lurchers?

any purpose bred dog will have faults when you start branching out,and you live with them, like you say, if its hills round your way they hunting ,they were teaming with rabbits when I used to come up that way.

2 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Iv yet to see a lurcher cast out an find game as good as a pointerx, if you got one that’s some doing, I’d like to see that 

The malli xs we kept case right out daytime cover lots a ground we don't need ta tread .night time totally opposite ,one a the malli  xes ended in hunt service and hunts with the pack of hounds all day catching Charlie regular only thing his I am told she fond of the taste of them lol maybey different than a gun dog type such has a German or a actuall hound but there his some breeds that when mixed will hunt on great distances the collie close hunter my alsation type s.ame           till finding the line of game or vermin. The malls I find  will hunt away from ones . Searching  both the same allowing these animals there head has reinforced this but in thick woodland scrub that can be in a good few miles blocks of forestry it's needed I seen that vid of those collie hounds on the moors on charle ,fa me in fairness they doubled and are waiting for a opportunity where I hunt they gone if the first strike or opportunity ain taken ill say no more but that's what I see and I suppose it's what it his.atb bill

1 minute ago, billhardy said:

The malli xs we kept case right out daytime cover lots a ground we don't need ta tread .night time totally opposite ,one a the malli  xes ended in hunt service and hunts with the pack of hounds all day catching Charlie regular only thing his I am told she fond of the taste of them lol maybey different than a gun dog type such has a German or a actuall hound but there his some breeds that when mixed will hunt on great distances the collie close hunter my alsation type s.ame           till finding the line of game or vermin. The malls I find  will hunt away from ones . Searching  both the same allowing these animals there head has reinforced this but in thick woodland scrub that can be in a good few miles blocks of forestry it's needed I seen that vid of those collie hounds on the moors on charle ,fa me in fairness they doubled and are waiting for a opportunity where I hunt they gone if the first strike or opportunity ain taken ill say no more but that's what I see and I suppose it's what it his.atb bill

On another point I remember nut tall breedning his stud over a German an aquaintance of mine had one I think but not sure it could of been buddy that lined her ,a few of these I believe did well on a variety of stuff,that was some yrs ago now I could have tried the xs but was not interested fa some my style of hunting both day and night the fthe shepherds malls etc have more than enough scenting and the search drive in a good malli his incredible and relentless.atb bill

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Iv saw beardie x’s hunt like a full hound, an tbh if that’s the job I was after it would be one them over a pointer x I’d have, but that’s only due to fact I know I gel an can get the best of collie crosses, an I don’t doubt them mali’ Xs can find, it’s suited to there driven nature 

See ta me katchum ya thinking similiar I would think a beardie xs German the n breed a jukel from the xs be lots more athletic turn better more athletic sharper etc atb bill

12 minutes ago, billhardy said:

On another point I remember nut tall breedning his stud over a German an aquaintance of mine had one I think but not sure it could of been buddy that lined her ,a few of these I believe did well on a variety of stuff,that was some yrs ago now I could have tried the xs but was not interested fa some my style of hunting both day and night the fthe shepherds malls etc have more than enough scenting and the search drive in a good malli his incredible and relentless.atb bill

it was Casper. Someone on here had one, he hunted up rabbits with it, lamped, worked with hawks, ratting, all sorts

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Iv yet to see a lurcher cast out an find game as good as a pointerx, if you got one that’s some doing, I’d like to see that 

Seen some incredible hound x Lurchers, cast out miles on the hill they take some beating for that type of hunting from what i have seen

• Like 5

Cracks me up how blinkered some can be. We all hunt in different ways on different terrains in different parts of the country, how can a man at one end the country comment on whether or not a particular cross is any good elsewhere?

A dog thats suits me here would be no good for someone who's hunting an open moor and nor would I want a dog that excels at hunting a long distance out. Doesn't mean either is no good just not necessarily suited to the local terrain.

A lurcher is alot of things to alot of people, they aren't one tricks ponies and different tasks suit different crosses. How is that so hard to comprehend?

• Like 10
1 minute ago, Tyla said:

Cracks me up how blinkered some can be. We all hunt in different ways on different terrains in different parts of the country, how can a man at one end the country comment on whether or not a particular cross is any good elsewhere?

A dog thats suits me here would be no good for someone who's hunting an open moor and nor would I want a dog that excels at hunting a long distance out. Doesn't mean either is no good just not necessarily suited to the local terrain.

A lurcher is alot of things to alot of people, they aren't one tricks ponies and different tasks suit different crosses. How is that so hard to comprehend?

well that ends any debate thinking like that, its only opinions when all said and done, negatives, and positives, no point having a forum else.

• Like 1
Just now, two crows said:

well that ends any debate thinking like that, its only opinions when all said and done, negatives, and positives, no point having a forum else.

I don't think it ends debate, it would be nice if it ended the crabbing of anything different to what people personally know but thats probably a bit much to ask lol.

There's plenty to talk about, I love hearing about other people's hunting. I quite often travel about to experience it too. That's how I know that different crosses, training / entering methods etc give different results tailored to the hunting of the owner. I've been places where my dogs were made look silly by the locals and I've had dogs out with me that made hard work of what mine do as a matter of course.

How much of that is breeding and how much is experience? Plenty of debate for you there.

It just made me laugh when i read "Can't see what such and such x would bring to a lurcher .... ".

An open mind is no bad thing. 

• Like 11
1 hour ago, offtheradar said:

Unfortunately this one is no longer with me but from my limited experience I'd say the gwp offers a lot more than the rabbiting I did with mine

securedownload-3_1.jpg

IMAG0047_1.jpg

Unknown_2.facebook_1449669533795.jpg

IMAG0022_1.jpg

sorry to hear that,I hope your well and Mr treehands?

• Like 1

I think people get different dogs for different things . 

In the instance of moorland scrub ratching around for a solitary hunter , I can see the appeal in a gwp first cross..

i think Lloydy uses a word now and again that would sum this cross up

roustabout 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, offtheradar said:

securedownload-3_1.jpg

IMAG0047_1.jpg

Unknown_2.facebook_1449669533795.jpg

IMAG0022_1.jpg

That looks a lot better and leaner than I thought it would ... 

and as for them being “useful “ I’d agree , they can be a big lump of a mutt