In the classifieds section there is a GWP up for stud to other GWPs or a greyhounds.

Didn't want to start the discussion in the classifieds bit.

Why would you put a GWP over a running dog? Anyone got one? Surely instead of improving it would make both poor at what they do?

Moorman1 if you read this I'm not knocking you at all fella, just never heard of the mix and wondered why and didn't think the classifieds was the place for the discussion.

Atb 

Ry

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Iv got a Gwp x here , she’s exactly what moorman has said she’s big powerful , run all day , hunt and kill well she’s good at that too and very quick !  She retrieves Iv never taught it I was sta

Unfortunately this one is no longer with me but from my limited experience I'd say the gwp offers a lot more than the rabbiting I did with mine

I don't think it ends debate, it would be nice if it ended the crabbing of anything different to what people personally know but thats probably a bit much to ask lol. There's plenty to talk about

Posted Images

I heard there getting more and more popular.couple of people on here have g.w.p / greyhounds.i can see why and what the g.w.p might bring to the mix but not for me.

Better than a lab/grey and there's a que for one of them.

• Haha 1

Friend of mine keeps GWPs, from what I have seen they are moody head strong buggers, in a big strong dog. Faor enough in day if you can give em enough work but last thing u need on lamp surely? In fairness a GWP will go all day and some in most conditions and has a v.good nose so I can understand the best of that.

1 minute ago, W. Katchum said:

Them pointer crosses make real good dogs for hunting up, let them range out an they will find stuff. They make half decent lurchers but few j saw all opened up on lamp when out turned it out run an that put me off em but if I was out loads during day hunting up then I’d have 1

That's what I thought....writing at same time

I'm only just getting into this game really,  been guested for a while but looking at getting my first running dog soon, it seems people are trying to find new crosses and mixes aren't the current ones good enough? Is a GWP or a Lab mix guna catch more quarry? Unless you want to try double it up as a gun dog why mix a gun dog?

Like I say, maybe outside looking in.

Lad on here got a gwp x bull grey a big brown thing , can remember reading that it’s top notch at finding them and catching them , if your working big open rough land through the day then this dog would be hand, another lad on her got some gwp lurcher s think his name belucky he’s put post up befor bout them and seem happy enough with them , 

• Like 1

Kind of a pointless cross for most common hunting folks if hunting up is its speciality it sounds a restrictive cross tbh why would any one in modern time want that when there’s proven Lurcher to lurcher mixes with a bit of everything in them out there with collie,bedlington,bull to sight hounds doing all day/night I mean most Lurchers will bush if they know there job An want on gear so it’s kind of a bigger gamble than just trying the more common bred lurcher to lurcher crosses 

• Confused 1

all depends on what you call hunting as for up & down hedgerows,dykes etc a lurcher will do but down here where I live on open hill they would go missing you want houndx,gwpx or colliex which all have good feet,stamina,nose etc which they need to find or catch a fox plus you won't just walk on a fox down here you need a dog that is willing to cast out for miles on most of the time to find a fox & if you get chance watch Andrew Edwards vids on YouTube or buy his dvds thats what you call day time hunting!!! as for all round lurcher for lamping,ferreting,mooching etc i honestly think there are better types out there than gwpxgrey but if you into Hill hunting they do the job atb cbx 

• Like 9

Seen  a few pointer/lurcher  xs....good x for hunting rough hilly  ground and plantations ,hitting foxes out of cover and running them to ground or catching and dispatching them....on parr with a good bull x,don't bring as much unwanted attention, good thing these days,good feet,good coats ,bidable.....won't suit most lads,but those who's game is fox.....would appreciate said x?

• Like 6

I only ever saw two full gwps work one was a real good dog for finding game of all kinds, and took foxes a few times, the other was a fkn nightmare no recall and chase anything over the hills and far away lol, the more I think about obscure and unusual crosses the more I think its a damn lottery, and quite frankly a waist of time, there are plenty of traditional crosses that can do anything a gwp cross might do so why risk breading more crap.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Iv yet to see a lurcher cast out an find game as good as a pointerx, if you got one that’s some doing, I’d like to see that 

I’ve not got a pointer cross An can’t say I’ll have one to be honest just on the few things I’ve heard to me if there main use is bushing/mooching only for me it sounds a pointless cross because most people want a none restricted running dog that can be used for a bit of everything hunting wise unless that’s your thing. casting a dog out to run halfway up the mountain side to run it’s own game without my viewing is not my idea of good hunting if I’m not seeing a run I’d rather dogs that work reasonably close so I can at least see a run an see the dog work like I’ve said it sounds a restricted cross I mean if they were good surely most Lurcher people would of cotton on to it by now An ditched there purpose bred bushing dogs for the all in one gwp x greyhound but can’t see it happening any time soon but I’m sure there will be some good gwp greyhounds out there that there owners swear by this cross I say good luck to them long as there happy that’s all that counts 

16 hours ago, ryaldinhio said:

In the classifieds section there is a GWP up for stud to other GWPs or a greyhounds.

Didn't want to start the discussion in the classifieds bit.

Why would you put a GWP over a running dog? Anyone got one? Surely instead of improving it would make both poor at what they do?

Moorman1 if you read this I'm not knocking you at all fella, just never heard of the mix and wondered why and didn't think the classifieds was the place for the discussion.

Atb 

Ry

Why put any breed on a running dog? what does a collie or a bull add?

The GWP cross would be a purpose bred day dog (in my opinion). If you haven't seen GWP's work then you probably wouldn't understand what they would add. They are a hunting machine with bottomless stamina. Basically strength, stamina, robustness, nose, biddability and heart. They would make a great daytime dog for hill type country as has been proven in the past.

• Like 7