Old boxing matches

On 09/06/2019 at 20:32, shaaark said:

Put it this way, he had more fights and more wins at welterweight rather than middleweight, quite alot more actually, which you will know. I'd say that makes him more of a welterweight than a middleweight

In the space of 2 years he fought all the way from welterweight to light heavyweight....again,the term " pound for pound " was created for Robinson.... im not entirely sure what point your trying to make,i dont quite know how all this being controversial stuff works.

Edited by gnasher16

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cheers, D.  

All the books are very good by Hagler Hearn Leonard. Hagler is my favourite fighter and I still dont accept it that Leonard beat him but he did get the decision. Over 30 warnings for holding though an

Im Offshore at moment so cant post a Youtube link but that Ali v Foreman fight is good,Ring Magazine fight of the year 1974  but nothing compared to the Lyle v Foreman fight .We all know Foremans pedi

Posted Images

22 hours ago, Lenmcharristar said:

How do yas rate Gerry cooney? He seemed to pack a good punch for a white man haha

I thought Cooney was massively over rated he bashed up a couple of washed up big names in Lyle and Norton and thats about it......i always liked the way Michael Spinks dealt with him,made him look a complete novice.

39 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

I thought Cooney was massively over rated he bashed up a couple of washed up big names in Lyle and Norton and thats about it......i always liked the way Michael Spinks dealt with him,made him look a complete novice.

That suprises me ,I thought  Cooney was decent tbh ,certainly had his limitations ,but if you get past the great white hope hype decent enough .

2 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

In the space of 2 years he fought all the way from welterweight to light heavyweight....again,the term " pound for pound " was created for Robinson.... im not entirely sure what point your trying to make,i dont quite know how all this being controversial stuff works.

Lost myself too, in this thread lol ?. Just had to read it all again clearly lol. I think I got it a bit wrong, as in I thought you were talking about robinson being the best 'middleweight'. Now I've read it back, I can see you've not said that. 

Too much info for me to take in this weekend lol ?

On 08/06/2019 at 22:03, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

I’m not a huge boxing fan nowadays but we had a dog years ago called hagler 

one of my favourite books is called  four kings , well worth a read for anyone interested in that era of boxing 

I have that book, yes excellent read. The grandsire to a dog I had years ago, pantycelyn hagler lol

• Like 1
16 hours ago, shaaark said:

I have that book, yes excellent read. The grandsire to a dog I had years ago, pantycelyn hagler lol

The Charley burley book is a very good read and an eye opener,how corrupt the game was back then and how the blacks struggled to get fights unless with each other,especially if they where good. ? Probs the best book ive read about boxing tbh.Its called Charley Burley and the Black Murderers Row.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murderers'_Row_(boxing)

Edited by MickC
  • Like 2
13 minutes ago, MickC said:

The Charley burley book is a very good read and an eye opener,how corrupt the game was back then and how the blacks struggled to get fights unless with each other,especially if they where good. ? Probs the best boxing book ive read about boxing tbh.Its called Charley Burley and the Black Murderers Row.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murderers'_Row_(boxing)

Thanks mick, will have a look ?

Just came to me now, but didn't robinson duck burley? Seem to remember reading something about it a few years ago. Or were they deliberately kept from fighting each other, like you say, with all the corrupt goings on? ?

Edited by shaaark
  • Like 1
13 hours ago, shaaark said:

Thanks mick, will have a look ?

Just came to me now, but didn't robinson duck burley? Seem to remember reading something about it a few years ago. Or were they deliberately kept from fighting each other, like you say, with all the corrupt goings on? ?

For Burley to get the fight with Robinson he had to take a dive in the seventh iirc,he refused and never got the shot .The other stuff Burley had to put up with in his career as well was unreal.Cus D;mato was probabaly the most instrumental In getting the mob out of boxing and he paid a heavy price for it sometimes at the expense of the amateur Tyson at the time.Its in one of the Tyson books all about it and that's also a good read how Cus went about dealing with it all and kept his life tbh .

• Like 1

Some of you lads are a lot more well read than me i cant be doing with reading all the stories but ive had folk give me books over the years,i normally look at the pictures then stick them in a cupboard so if theres a book you want and i have it its yours...ive given up expecting to get things returned back anymore i dont even bother asking ?

• Like 3
1 hour ago, gnasher16 said:

Some of you lads are a lot more well read than me i cant be doing with reading all the stories but ive had folk give me books over the years,i normally look at the pictures then stick them in a cupboard so if theres a book you want and i have it its yours...ive given up expecting to get things returned back anymore i dont even bother asking ?

Same as me mate, with some of the videos I lent out quite a few years ago, when I was still recovering from a very bad accident (mainly head injury), terrible memory loss at time, still got short term memory loss that'll be with me for life. Anyway, don't lend books or dvd's etc to anyfucker now lol ?

1 hour ago, gnasher16 said:

Its ok mate i dont mind if people want things that bad they,re welcome to it i just accept now that lend actually means give ?....sorry to hear about your accident by the way.

?