Old boxing matches

14 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

Chavez...what a fighter....

Watched a Roy Jones documentary the other day, certainly a class act....

But I can't dismiss Mayweather, technically he was as good as it gets....money is the route to all evils though...

Kid I maybe getting mixed up here but was Jones the man who kept and bred match dogs sorry for going of topic 

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cheers, D.  

All the books are very good by Hagler Hearn Leonard. Hagler is my favourite fighter and I still dont accept it that Leonard beat him but he did get the decision. Over 30 warnings for holding though an

Im Offshore at moment so cant post a Youtube link but that Ali v Foreman fight is good,Ring Magazine fight of the year 1974  but nothing compared to the Lyle v Foreman fight .We all know Foremans pedi

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

Ive had long conversations with people about MIke Tyson and watched all his fights.....im not a fan of his either.

Are you trying to be " controversial " as you put it for a reason ?...or am i missing something.

Put it this way, he had more fights and more wins at welterweight rather than middleweight, quite alot more actually, which you will know. I'd say that makes him more of a welterweight than a middleweight

5 minutes ago, Blackmag said:

Kid I maybe getting mixed up here but was Jones the man who kept and bred match dogs sorry for going of topic 

Yes and fighting cocks...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They reckon some of Roy Jones style came from studying the chickens....he was very passionate about them, certainly forged some of his mind set...

Oh and a very tough regime from his dad from 6 years old....they didn't speak for a long time during his rise to the top of the sport. His dad got back involved when Roy wanted to fight Buster Douglas, he feared his sons never quit mentality could cause huge problems against someone who was far too big for him... but he still went on to win the heavyweight title...considering he was a middle weight really is some feat

• Like 1
2 hours ago, eastcoast said:

The best film that I have ever watched was Jaws. I would not argue the case that it is the best film ever made but at the time, the first time I watched it at the pictures, it was the best thing that I had seen. I would say that the best boxing match for me has similar personal feelings. Not  the best ever but the best that I experienced. 1995 Frank Bruno v Oliver McCall, WBC title.

Lennox Lewis became WBC champion in 1994. Before that no Britain had held a World Heavyweight title since Bob Fitzsimons in 1889. We had came close a few times but no cigar. Lennox was given the title because the holder, Riddick Bowe, refused to fight him. Lennox went on to lose it to McCall.

The Bruno v McCall fight went the distance. I will never forget the announcement " ...and the NEW heavyweight champion of the world..." . It still makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck to this day. It felt as though an Englishman had eventually won it.

I vaguely remember that Herbie Hide held the WBO title in 1995 but it did not have the same impact to me, at the time.  

You know what mate, frank bruno definitely wasn't given the credit he deserved. One of the best nights I ever had was when he beat mcall, when a group of us watched it in my ex brother in law's uncle's pub. We all went wild and had a party til about 6-7 o clock in the morning. 

Again, like I said earlier about not taking to fighters, I just couldn't get behind lewis, as good as he was ?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, shaaark said:

You know what mate, frank bruno definitely wasn't given the credit he deserved. One of the best nights I ever had was when he beat mcall, when a group of us watched it in my ex brother in law's uncle's pub. We all went wild and had a party til about 6-7 o clock in the morning. 

Again, like I said earlier about not taking to fighters, I just couldn't get behind lewis, as good as he was ?

I think it was because he was a Canadian really....as much as we wanted to claim him as one of our own...we knew he wasn't  very good heavy though...but Bruno was one of our own...

Edited by NEWKID
21 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

I think it was because he was a Canadian really....as much as we wanted to claim him as one of our own...we knew he wasn't  very good heavy though...buy Bruno was one of our own...

Could be mate. But without overthinking things, I just preferred bruno anyway ?

28 minutes ago, Lenmcharristar said:

How do yas rate Gerry cooney? He seemed to pack a good punch for a white man haha

Còoney was a very good heavyweight. Fought some of the best, and beat them

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Còoney was a very good heavyweight. Fought some of the best, and beat them

Exactly, he gave ken norton a good hammering and kod him, Norton was deemed one of the top punchers off all time too. Even foreman said when asked who was the hardest puncher you faced, and cooney was in his top 3, he said he’s one of those punchers that hit you that hard your bones vibrated unlike most heavyweights. 

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Could be mate. But without overthinking things, I just preferred bruno anyway ?

It's funny though as fans we are still led by emotion, Lewis without doubt was a far better boxer than Bruno, but Bruno is the crowds favourite.... it's not always the boxing skills that make you like a fighter in fact some times it's quite the opposite 

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

It's funny though as fans we are still led by emotion, Lewis without doubt was a far better boxer than Bruno, but Bruno is the crowds favourite.... it's not always the boxing skills that make you like a fighter in fact some times it's quite the opposite 

Like you say mate, it's personal preference  and the fact bruno was indeed better than many give him credit for. For example, 'chinny', nope, he was far from chinny, tell me one fight where he was flat out on the canvas. Lewis and tyson, both known knockout fighters, did they knock bruno out, even when they had him helpless on the ropes? No, they didn't. Nuff said

12 hours ago, NEWKID said:

They reckon some of Roy Jones style came from studying the chickens....he was very passionate about them, certainly forged some of his mind set...

Oh and a very tough regime from his dad from 6 years old....they didn't speak for a long time during his rise to the top of the sport. His dad got back involved when Roy wanted to fight Buster Douglas, he feared his sons never quit mentality could cause huge problems against someone who was far too big for him... but he still went on to win the heavyweight title...considering he was a middle weight really is some feat

I watched a documentary on Jones a few year back and he did indeed take notes from studying his birds.In the documentary he had a load of birds out on tie outs in a big field. Before the Hopkins rematch they where having a bit of back and forth and Hopkins threatened to call round and neck his birds. lol

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Lenmcharristar said:

Exactly, he gave ken norton a good hammering and kod him, Norton was deemed one of the top punchers off all time too. Even foreman said when asked who was the hardest puncher you faced, and cooney was in his top 3, he said he’s one of those punchers that hit you that hard your bones vibrated unlike most heavyweights. 

The Foreman v Cooney fight was decent while it lasted,clinical finish as well.I always wonder why Foreman and Holmes never fought when they where both on the comeback trail ? That would have been a good fight to watch .

Edited by MickC
  • Like 1