Old boxing matches

56 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Didn't say he couldn't box, he obviously could. But in my opinion, he was far too keen with the low blows, and as you put it, roughhousing tactics, which he rarely got pulled about, to make him a great

thats just the nature of the beast ?‍♂️ From the bare knuckle era,and no doubt many moons before that,there has been technicians & there's been rough housers - all sorts of emotions are running through someone during a fight,and not all the time professional ones...like Duran,who is a rough tough streetwise fighter,but,he was a great boxer,a really great boxer, perhaps you don't take to his style,and you like a clean fighter who doesn't put a foot wrong which is absolutely fine,but boxing due to its nature will attract some nasty c***s & at times Duran was one of them 

but when he wanted to boy could he box,he knew about distance & timing & could put a man in a muddle just by the trickery he'd use with his hands,pawing & parrying,neat little uppercuts through spaces you couldlnt get a matchstick through 

fair enough you might not of said he couldlnt box,but I get the impression you think he's mainly just a rough fighter who can box a bit,and I disagree,he was very technical many many times 

? 

• Like 1

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cheers, D.  

All the books are very good by Hagler Hearn Leonard. Hagler is my favourite fighter and I still dont accept it that Leonard beat him but he did get the decision. Over 30 warnings for holding though an

Im Offshore at moment so cant post a Youtube link but that Ali v Foreman fight is good,Ring Magazine fight of the year 1974  but nothing compared to the Lyle v Foreman fight .We all know Foremans pedi

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, Billy b said:

thats just the nature of the beast ?‍♂️ From the bare knuckle era,and no doubt many moons before that,there has been technicians & there's been rough housers - all sorts of emotions are running through someone during a fight,and not all the time professional ones...like Duran,who is a rough tough streetwise fighter,but,he was a great boxer,a really great boxer, perhaps you don't take to his style,and you like a clean fighter who doesn't put a foot wrong which is absolutely fine,but boxing due to its nature will attract some nasty c***s & at times Duran was one of them 

but when he wanted to boy could he box,he knew about distance & timing & could put a man in a muddle just by the trickery he'd use with his hands,pawing & parrying,neat little uppercuts through spaces you couldlnt get a matchstick through 

fair enough you might not of said he couldlnt box,but I get the impression you think he's mainly just a rough fighter who can box a bit,and I disagree,he was very technical many many times 

? 

I understand you exactly mate ?. And I agree with you, yes the man was a very good boxer. And thinking about it, there are a few really good, 'great' even, boxers that I just couldn't take to. And some not so skillful to be termed superb, never mind 'great', that I thought/think were some of the best. ; Nigel benn, mike mcallum, michael watson, steve collins, just to name a few middleweights. And my personal favourites with their top top class trilogy, gatti and ward ?

25 minutes ago, shaaark said:

I understand you exactly mate ?. And I agree with you, yes the man was a very good boxer. And thinking about it, there are a few really good, 'great' even, boxers that I just couldn't take to. And some not so skillful to be termed superb, never mind 'great', that I thought/think were some of the best. ; Nigel benn, mike mcallum, michael watson, steve collins, just to name a few middleweights. And my personal favourites with their top top class trilogy, gatti and ward ?

Gatti v ward fights were great fights, true warriors.. 

But look what mayweather done to Gatti....that was a lesson in boxing, Gatti couldn't throw a punch he was being hit with 3 everytime he moved his hands.... yet Mayweather has hardly been mentioned on this thread (if at all)... don't like him as a person, but he was the best around...possibly ever??

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

But look what mayweather done to Gatti....that was a lesson in boxing, Gatti couldn't throw a punch he was being hit with 3 everytime he moved his hands.... yet Mayweather has hardly been mentioned on this thread (if at all)... don't like him as a person, but he was the best around...possibly ever??

Yeah that's the thing mate. Neither has paqciao been mentioned, another modern great. And again, mayweather, the only time I wanted him to win was against mcregor ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, shaaark said:

That's it Mate? It's all subjective,each man sees things different & has his own opinions & reasons 

gatti & ward,some fighters they were?

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Yeah that's the thing mate. Neither has paqciao been mentioned, another modern great. And again, mayweather, the only time I wanted him to win was against mcregor ?

Mayweather got in with everyone though mate, and beat them..usually easily... 

Roy Jones is the only other modern boxer who comes close, but neither of them stir up the emotions in average fight fans.... I love watching them as they are both class...but always hoped they'd be sparked lol

• Haha 1
56 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

Mayweather got in with everyone though mate, and beat them..usually easily... 

Roy Jones is the only other modern boxer who comes close, but neither of them stir up the emotions in average fight fans.... I love watching them as they are both class...but always hoped they'd be sparked lol

?

The best film that I have ever watched was Jaws. I would not argue the case that it is the best film ever made but at the time, the first time I watched it at the pictures, it was the best thing that I had seen. I would say that the best boxing match for me has similar personal feelings. Not  the best ever but the best that I experienced. 1995 Frank Bruno v Oliver McCall, WBC title.

Lennox Lewis became WBC champion in 1994. Before that no Britain had held a World Heavyweight title since Bob Fitzsimons in 1889. We had came close a few times but no cigar. Lennox was given the title because the holder, Riddick Bowe, refused to fight him. Lennox went on to lose it to McCall.

The Bruno v McCall fight went the distance. I will never forget the announcement " ...and the NEW heavyweight champion of the world..." . It still makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck to this day. It felt as though an Englishman had eventually won it.

I vaguely remember that Herbie Hide held the WBO title in 1995 but it did not have the same impact to me, at the time.  

Edited by eastcoast
SPELLING

Mayweathers the biggest draw in America  and nobody fills Las Vegas out like him but to get the fight with him you have to concede to everything.Mayweathers money making power has got him away with all sorts over the years from multiple failed tests to illegal use of iv drips,Ive said it before but he is the next Lance Armstrong ! He also avoided fights with these fighters In there prime to name a few Tszyu Williams Pacquiao Mosley Cotto . He clearly lost to Castillo but got the nod,he would only fight Hatton at welter and still dipped testing, he retired to get out of the ODH rematch,yet he still calls himself the GOAT ! There are plenty of fighters fitting of the title GOAT and we could argue all day but at least two fighters in recent memory are easy up there with Mayweather,one was the great Julio Cesar Chavez who did not lose until his 91st fight at 33 years old iirc and the other the brilliant Roy Jones .

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2564052-floyd-a-farce-ped-report-further-clouds-mayweathers-legacy.amp.html

Edited by MickC
5 hours ago, shaaark said:

Lol no worries. I was referring to the buchanan fight, simply because that was one fight where duran should definitely have been disqualified. 

And just to be a tad controvertial, why is sugar ray robinson regarded as one of the very best middleweights, when he was really a welterweight? Lol ?

What do you mean he was really a welterweight he had his first pro fight at 19 years old and retired at 44 with over 200 fights dont you think his body grew in that time.

For me Ray Robinson was the greatest fighter who ever lived by some distance....i think im right in saying the term " pound for pound " was created for Robinson.

Ive always felt the danger in being a " fan " of different fighters clouds your judgement i wouldnt say ive ever been a fan of any fighter i admire different fighters for different reasons but if its not a local lad fighting i dont mind who wins fights.....ive spent many long conversations with old boys who remembered Ray Robinson and watched every fight of his i can find which is what brings me to form my opinion of him as the greatest ever....but i still wouldnt call myself a fan.

3 hours ago, NEWKID said:

Personally i think people get carried away with the whole Gatti/Ward thing the first fight was an outstanding contest but the second and third were nowhere near ...i think we all love these almost romantic stories between fighters and a guy like Gatti had such likeable " man " qualities that we build them up into " popular " rather than " great " fighters....as you say Mayweather made him look very ordinary but Mayweather is one of the most unpopular fighters around because men just cant take to him.

6 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

What do you mean he was really a welterweight he had his first pro fight at 19 years old and retired at 44 with over 200 fights dont you think his body grew in that time.

For me Ray Robinson was the greatest fighter who ever lived by some distance....i think im right in saying the term " pound for pound " was created for Robinson.

Ive always felt the danger in being a " fan " of different fighters clouds your judgement i wouldnt say ive ever been a fan of any fighter i admire different fighters for different reasons but if its not a local lad fighting i dont mind who wins fights.....ive spent many long conversations with old boys who remembered Ray Robinson and watched every fight of his i can find which is what brings me to form my opinion of him as the greatest ever....but i still wouldnt call myself a fan.

You've had several long conversations discussing robinson, and watched every fight of his you can find, but you're not a fan of his? Ok, no more from me ?

4 minutes ago, shaaark said:

You've had several long conversations discussing robinson, and watched every fight of his you can find, but you're not a fan of his? Ok, no more from me ?

Ive had long conversations with people about MIke Tyson and watched all his fights.....im not a fan of his either.

Are you trying to be " controversial " as you put it for a reason ?...or am i missing something.

27 minutes ago, MickC said:

Mayweathers the biggest draw in America  and nobody fills Las Vegas out like him but to get the fight with him you have to concede to everything.Mayweathers money making power has got him away with all sorts over the years from multiple failed tests to illegal use of iv drips,Ive said it before but he is the next Lance Armstrong ! He also avoided fights with these fighters In there prime to name a few Tszyu Williams Pacquiao Mosley Cotto . He clearly lost to Castillo but got the nod,he would only fight Hatton at welter and still dipped testing, he retired to get out of the ODH rematch,yet he still calls himself the GOAT ! There are plenty of fighters fitting of the title GOAT and we could argue all day but at least two fighters in recent memory are easy up there with Mayweather,one was the great Julio Cesar Chavez who did not lose until his 91st fight at 33 years old iirc and the other the brilliant Roy Jones .

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2564052-floyd-a-farce-ped-report-further-clouds-mayweathers-legacy.amp.html

Chavez...what a fighter....

Watched a Roy Jones documentary the other day, certainly a class act....

But I can't dismiss Mayweather, technically he was as good as it gets....money is the route to all evils though...

• Like 1