Old boxing matches

You know the scoring of fights Mick you can pressure an opponent all night long but you get no credit for hitting his shadow....yes theres always going to be fights that cause debate and its all opinions......a funny description of that fight which always stuck with me was from a well known London trainer who said " it was like watching a kid get the better of his evil stepfather " ?

Nice having the natter about it anyway cheers ?

• Like 1

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cheers, D.  

All the books are very good by Hagler Hearn Leonard. Hagler is my favourite fighter and I still dont accept it that Leonard beat him but he did get the decision. Over 30 warnings for holding though an

Im Offshore at moment so cant post a Youtube link but that Ali v Foreman fight is good,Ring Magazine fight of the year 1974  but nothing compared to the Lyle v Foreman fight .We all know Foremans pedi

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

You know the scoring of fights Mick you can pressure an opponent all night long but you get no credit for hitting his shadow....yes theres always going to be fights that cause debate and its all opinions......a funny description of that fight which always stuck with me was from a well known London trainer who said " it was like watching a kid get the better of his evil stepfather " ?

Nice having the natter about it anyway cheers ?

Exactly Gnash its all just our own opinions at the end of the day . ?

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Gnash, we all know it's a rough game, BUT, when a boxer has to resort to hitting someone low, so hard he ruptures his opponent's testicle, that should tell you that that particular boxer REALLY isn't a great, but a fighter that likes and needs things to go his way. I'll say it again, yes  duran was a very good fighter, but a boxing great he certainly wasn't

I dont agree with you mate but no problem ?

Id say along with Cesar Chavez he,s probably the greatest lightweight of the last 50 odd years.

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Gnash, we all know it's a rough game, BUT, when a boxer has to resort to hitting someone low, so hard he ruptures his opponent's testicle, that should tell you that that particular boxer REALLY isn't a great, but a fighter that likes and needs things to go his way. I'll say it again, yes  duran was a very good fighter, but a boxing great he certainly wasn't

While Duran certainly loved a tear up,I disagree with you saying he wasn't a great boxer 

his inside work was phenomenal,his deft little movements on the inside,and his manipulation of positioning,he really was brilliant to watch on the inside 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, gnasher16 said:

I dont agree with you mate but no problem ?

Id say along with Cesar Chavez he,s probably the greatest lightweight of the last 50 odd years.

We aint talking lightweight. When he moved up from lightweight he struggled, and was dirty as f**k simple. He isn't one of 'the  four kings'. Like I said earlier  it was the 'three kings', hagler, hearns, leonard

Edited by shaaark
11 hours ago, shaaark said:

We aint talking lightweight. When he moved up from lightweight he struggled, and was dirty as f**k simple. He isn't one of 'the  four kings'. Like I said earlier  it was the 'three kings', hagler, hearns, leonard

Get lost if your saying Duran's not a legend, he's half the size of the others and still more than held his own, would of like to see the other 3 at cruiser or heavy for a similar comparison

12 hours ago, shaaark said:

We are talking lightweight you have been referring back to the Buchanan fight and that was at lightweight.

Its all very well saying he wasnt this and that but he was by far the smallest and Hagler was by far the biggest....should Hagler be one of the " Four Kings ".......he was the only one who never moved in weight every fight he had was in his own division.....infact theres probably fair argument to take Hagler out of the 4 and replace him with Wilfred Benitez....but hey he had a shaved head and was an iconic figure so we,ll leave him in .

Im only messing Hagler was a great fighter ?

Duran is arguably one of the greatest lightweights ever 

everyone has their own opinion,which they are entitled to,and people see things different

but to dismiss Duran as just a "great fighter" who wasn't up there with the other 3 is proper off the mark imo 

like I say,Duran had plenty of boxing savvy,you've only got to look at his inside work to see that,and not just how he fought on the inside but many other things

no doubt he was a roughhousing merchant,but to say he couldlnt box is not an opinion I've ever seen anywhere but here tbh 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Billy b said:

Duran is arguably one of the greatest lightweights ever 

everyone has their own opinion,which they are entitled to,and people see things different

but to dismiss Duran as just a "great fighter" who wasn't up there with the other 3 is proper off the mark imo 

like I say,Duran had plenty of boxing savvy,you've only got to look at his inside work to see that,and not just how he fought on the inside but many other things

no doubt he was a roughhousing merchant,but to say he couldlnt box is not an opinion I've ever seen anywhere but here tbh 

Didn't say he couldn't box, he obviously could. But in my opinion, he was far too keen with the low blows, and as you put it, roughhousing tactics, which he rarely got pulled about, to make him a great

3 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

We are talking lightweight you have been referring back to the Buchanan fight and that was at lightweight.

Its all very well saying he wasnt this and that but he was by far the smallest and Hagler was by far the biggest....should Hagler be one of the " Four Kings ".......he was the only one who never moved in weight every fight he had was in his own division.....infact theres probably fair argument to take Hagler out of the 4 and replace him with Wilfred Benitez....but hey he had a shaved head and was an iconic figure so we,ll leave him in .

Im only messing Hagler was a great fighter ?

Lol no worries. I was referring to the buchanan fight, simply because that was one fight where duran should definitely have been disqualified. 

And just to be a tad controvertial, why is sugar ray robinson regarded as one of the very best middleweights, when he was really a welterweight? Lol ?

Edited by shaaark
15 hours ago, ginger beard said:

Watching some of these old fights and modern one's i've noticed most of the knock outs and put downs aint really skill,more luck.there just swinging and hoping it connects somewhere.

Exactly what deontay wilder does, you mean. How anyone can rate him as a top heavyweight beggars belief

Just watched Barry McGuigan when he beat Eusebio Pedroza all them years ago, I've watched this fight numerous times and never get bored of it.

From the moment the crowd are on their feet to the sound of Danny Boy that fight was won, a great night that was for British boxing  

• Like 4