Old boxing matches

1 hour ago, gnasher16 said:

Going by record against each other Leonards was far superior he was the only one of them to beat all of the other 3.

Or Leonard arguably lost to all three, the Hearn rematch decision was a bad one ad was the Hagler decision imo. But hey its boxing and everybody see it differently .

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cheers, D.  

All the books are very good by Hagler Hearn Leonard. Hagler is my favourite fighter and I still dont accept it that Leonard beat him but he did get the decision. Over 30 warnings for holding though an

Im Offshore at moment so cant post a Youtube link but that Ali v Foreman fight is good,Ring Magazine fight of the year 1974  but nothing compared to the Lyle v Foreman fight .We all know Foremans pedi

Posted Images

6 hours ago, shaaark said:

Also, let's not forget that as well as totally quitting 100%, duran was dirty as f**k when things weren't going his way. In his fight with ken buchanan, he continually threw low blows from the 1st round onwards, but was warned only once for it, in the 12th round! After the bell at the end of the 13th, he hit buchanan low so hard he ruptured one of his testicles  and should've been disqualified  but they gave him the win!! 

Whenever I hear people say 'the four kings' I cringe. Three kings definitely, hagler, leonard and hearns. Duran was a dirty fighter his whole career

Like to throw Curry in there, great fighter 

Cheers, D.

12 minutes ago, MickC said:

Or Leonard arguably lost to all three, the Hearn rematch decision was a bad one ad was the Hagler decision imo. But hey its boxing and everybody see it differently .

Leonard wouldn't take the rematch with hagler

1 hour ago, gnasher16 said:

Mick fights are not scored on what a referee should have done Hagler was confused and couldnt find him the whole fight while Leonard was putting rounds in the bank,Hagler didnt win a round until the 5th....Angelo Dundee completely out maneuvered the Petronellis all they were telling Hagler between rounds was " get rough with him " i remember the fight like it was yesterday i dont know if you are old enough to of been around to watch it back then but i remember it wasnt shown live on Uk tv we didnt see it here until a few weeks later but i remember just seeing still pictures on the news the day after and thinking it went exactly how i thought it would Hagler was the solid rock getting peppered with flurries,and remember nobody gave Leonard a chance in this fight he hadnt fought for 5 years while Hagler had been dominating.They was both past their best and yes Leonard was the nations darling but Hagler looked old and slow i didnt even have it a particularly close fight i had Leonard by 4 rounds if i remember right.

I might have to watch it again just for old times sake ?

Yes Gnash I watched it back then and a few times since lol.Leonard had not fought for just under 3 years but had fought 4/5 fights behind closed doors in the build up to the Hagler fight,had Hagler known this I doubt he would have conceded everything to Leonard to get the fight made. Leonard was a smart clever man who used his popularity to get a lot of things in his favour for fights.Hagler did give away the first 3/4 rounds of the fight but Leonard knew this as he had even hired Compubox to get him the data from Haglers previous 5 fights which showed him to be a slow starter hence why Leonard started fast and insisted the fight was 12 rounds and not 15.Anyway two greats went at it and the decision still causes a heated debate over 30 years later. For me Leonard was all about looking flash in bursts to catch the judges eyes and then hanging onto Hagler to prevent him working,had the ref done his job and taken even one point that was Leonards game plan done,I still had Hagler by 2 rounds though.Anyway Leonard got the nod but his popularity took a hit after the Hagler fight and for his next fight with Lalonde they had to give over 5000 tickets away for free to fill Caesars Palace.In the fight  Lalonde came in light at 168 instead of 175 as not only was Lalondes WBC light heavyweight belt on the line but also the new WBC super middle weight belt so Leonard had insisted that Lalonde come in at the super middleweight limit.Leonard won by stoppage to win both belts but that is another debate, if he is truly a 5 weight world champion or not ? as he got two belts for different weight classes in only one fight (he also had a weight clause in the Hearn rematch).Like I say Leonard was a very smart man and he knew how to sell himself as well as get as much as he could in his favour before the fight,a blue print which is still being used in Las Vegas today by both Mayweather and Canelo .

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Leonard wouldn't take the rematch with haggler

Leonard refused the immediate rematch with Hagler so Hagler got sick of waiting and playing Leonards tune like he had done for years and retired.The loss took a heavy toll on Hagler and not long after the fight he moved to Italy where  he still lives. Arum came in at a later date to try and persuade him to do the rematch but Hagler refused and insisted he was staying retired and done with boxing.  The loss still affects him today .

Edited by MickC
Sp
1 hour ago, shaaark said:

You're obviously a big duran fan gnash, so what is your opinion on his win against buchanan? Putting favouritism aside, what do you think should've happened? Not judges, refs or whatever, your own personal opinion

I think it got ruled a tko as in Buchanan couldnt answer for the 15th was it....i dont see what else it could have been Duran was well ahead in a rough messy fight of his making....Buchanan was a tough guy and a fine fighter but Duran was just too much,too persistent and too hungry.....i take it you think he should have been dq ?

16 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

I think it got ruled a tko as in Buchanan couldnt answer for the 15th was it....i dont see what else it could have been Duran was well ahead in a rough messy fight of his making....Buchanan was a tough guy and a fine fighter but Duran was just too much,too persistent and too hungry.....i take it you think he should have been dq ?

I watched it gnash, not live obviously, but about a 100 times.Duran should've been disqualified. Even lo bianco, the ref, said as much, years after the fight. Buchananan was losing on points anyway, and duran couldn't put him away. Buchananan was slowly outpointing duran the last couple of rounds of the fight, and was being awkward. Duran couldn't hack it, like he did in ALOT of his fights, and hit buchanan low, AFTER the bell in the 13th, so hard he ruptured his testicle. You think that's ok? c**t shoul'dve been disqualified, no ifs, buts or f**k all

Edited by shaaark
38 minutes ago, MickC said:

Yes Gnash I watched it back then and a few times since lol.Leonard had not fought for just under 3 years but had fought 4/5 fights behind closed doors in the build up to the Hagler fight,had Hagler known this I doubt he would have conceded everything to Leonard to get the fight made. Leonard was a smart clever man who used his popularity to get a lot of things in his favour for fights.Hagler did give away the first 3/4 rounds of the fight but Leonard knew this as he had even hired Compubox to get him the data from Haglers previous 5 fights which showed him to be a slow starter hence why Leonard started fast and insisted the fight was 12 rounds and not 15.Anyway two greats went at it and the decision still causes a heated debate over 30 years later. For me Leonard was all about looking flash in bursts to catch the judges eyes and then hanging onto Hagler to prevent him working,had the ref done his job and taken even one point that was Leonards game plan done,I still had Hagler by 2 rounds though.Anyway Leonard got the nod but his popularity took a hit after the Hagler fight and for his next fight with Lalonde they had to give over 5000 tickets away for free to fill Caesars Palace.In the fight  Lalonde came in light at 168 instead of 175 as not only was Lalondes WBC light heavyweight belt on the line but also the new WBC super middle weight belt so Leonard had insisted that Lalonde come in at the super middleweight limit.Leonard won by stoppage to win both belts but that is another debate, if he is truly a 5 weight world champion or not ? as he got two belts for different weight classes in only one fight (he also had a weight clause in the Hearn rematch).Like I say Leonard was a very smart man and he knew how to sell himself as well as get as much as he could in his favour before the fight,a blue print which is still being used in Las Vegas today by both Mayweather and Canelo .

Mick tell me what rounds Hagler clearly won ?....from memory he won the 7th and 8th .....the 10th by a whisker.....and the 5th which was the first round he won.

In a fight with no knockdowns,no point deductions i just cant see how anyone could give him much more than 4 rounds.

Hagler was too slow on his feet and even when he did manage to get him into position Leonard had the better of nearly every exchange.....Leonard scored the cleaner shots throughout.

3 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

Mick tell me what rounds Hagler clearly won ?....from memory he won the 7th and 8th .....the 10th by a whisker.....and the 5th which was the first round he won.

In a fight with no knockdowns,no point deductions i just cant see how anyone could give him much more than 4 rounds.

Hagler was too slow on his feet and even when he did manage to get him into position Leonard had the better of nearly every exchange.....Leonard scored the cleaner shots throughout.

I'd say hagler won the 5th and 6th pretty clearly as well

Edited by shaaark
3 minutes ago, shaaark said:

I watched it gnash. Duran should've been disqualified. Even lo bianco, the ref, said as much, years after the fight. Buchananan was losing on points anyway, and duran couldn't put him away. Buchananan was slowly outpointing duran the last couple of rounds of the fight, and was being awkward. Duran couldn't hack it, like he did in ALOT of his fights, and hit buchanan low, AFTER the bell in the 13th, so hard he ruptured his testicle. You think that's ok? c**t shoul'dve been disqualified, no ifs, buts or f**k all

Its a rough game mate sometimes these things go your way and sometimes they dont but i dont really think it would have changed the course of history had he been dq do you ?

Shame for Buchanan yes but that was the man he faced i actually think he would have had a much better chance with the later more controlled version of Duran it would have given him a chance to show his skills without being closed straight down by the little savage.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, shaaark said:

I'd say hagler won the 5th and 6th pretty clearly as well

I said he won the 5th.....no way the 6th that was the first round Leonard held his feet as i remember......Hagler just couldnt find him throughout the fight the only rounds he won were the rounds Leonard took breathers i dont think had Leonard been fighting regular Hagler would have won a round.

29 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

I would have to watch it again Gnash, (been a good while now)but it was Hagler who pressed the fight, was never backed up and was punching with more authority. Obviously the judge that had it 118/110 bought into Leonards plan of stealing rounds by looking good in last 30 seconds of the round.We could go back and forth all night Gnash, even all the experts are still split over the decision all these years later . This a decent link about the fight which is also split over who won.

https://www.ringtv.com/491719-hagler-leonard-debate-rages/

Edited by MickC
  • Like 1
17 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

Its a rough game mate sometimes these things go your way and sometimes they dont but i dont really think it would have changed the course of history had he been dq do you ?

Shame for Buchanan yes but that was the man he faced i actually think he would have had a much better chance with the later more controlled version of Duran it would have given him a chance to show his skills without being closed straight down by the little savage.

Gnash, we all know it's a rough game, BUT, when a boxer has to resort to hitting someone low, so hard he ruptures his opponent's testicle, that should tell you that that particular boxer REALLY isn't a great, but a fighter that likes and needs things to go his way. I'll say it again, yes  duran was a very good fighter, but a boxing great he certainly wasn't