Old boxing matches

Not the best of Fighters  or fights but in the early 60s WALKER V PRESCOTT pulled the crowds in , always good bouts and the gave  100% , when this pair were on telly the Pubs emptied and the roads went quite .

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cheers, D.  

All the books are very good by Hagler Hearn Leonard. Hagler is my favourite fighter and I still dont accept it that Leonard beat him but he did get the decision. Over 30 warnings for holding though an

Im Offshore at moment so cant post a Youtube link but that Ali v Foreman fight is good,Ring Magazine fight of the year 1974  but nothing compared to the Lyle v Foreman fight .We all know Foremans pedi

Posted Images

4 hours ago, fred90 said:

personally think honeyghans win over curry the best by a British boxer on foreign soil. also all this talk over Joshua quitting well the great Duran jacked against Leonard yet thats forgotten. 

Also, let's not forget that as well as totally quitting 100%, duran was dirty as f**k when things weren't going his way. In his fight with ken buchanan, he continually threw low blows from the 1st round onwards, but was warned only once for it, in the 12th round! After the bell at the end of the 13th, he hit buchanan low so hard he ruptured one of his testicles  and should've been disqualified  but they gave him the win!! 

Whenever I hear people say 'the four kings' I cringe. Three kings definitely, hagler, leonard and hearns. Duran was a dirty fighter his whole career

• Like 3
18 hours ago, MickC said:

Another good watch on Youtube is Top 5 Larry Holmes Knockouts . Holmes had everything and his chin and recovery powers are right  up there with Ali . 

Yeh Mick ,Larry Holmes in his day had the lot  good chin,good wind, and good boxing brain and power ,knew how to pace him self for long fight if he had to . Maybe  we get a heavy  with all the above one day ,there all poor compared  to  those boxers of the past , we got now in that division you never know  could  be a young lad coming through well let's hope so lol.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bird said:

Yeh Mick ,Larry Holmes in his day had the lot  good chin,good wind, and good boxing brain and power ,knew how to pace him self for long fight if he had to . Maybe  we get a heavy  with all the above one day ,there all poor compared  to  those boxers of the past , we got now in that division you never know  could  be a young lad coming through well let's hope so lol.

Larry Holmes v Ernie Shavers...

f**k me that was a grueller....heart of both men was unreal..

• Like 1
3 hours ago, shaaark said:

Also, let's not forget that as well as totally quitting 100%, duran was dirty as f**k when things weren't going his way. In his fight with ken buchanan, he continually threw low blows from the 1st round onwards, but was warned only once for it, in the 12th round! After the bell at the end of the 13th, he hit buchanan low so hard he ruptured one of his testicles  and should've been disqualified  but they gave him the win!! 

Whenever I hear people say 'the four kings' I cringe. Three kings definitely, hagler, leonard and hearns. Duran was a dirty fighter his whole career

He was embarrassed,humiliated into quitting.....it would be like me playing a darts match with Michael Van Gerwen eventually im going to throw my darts on the floor and say " f**k all this "........for me Duran was just about the epitome of what a fighting man should be.

4 hours ago, micky said:

Not the best of Fighters  or fights but in the early 60s WALKER V PRESCOTT pulled the crowds in , always good bouts and the gave  100% , when this pair were on telly the Pubs emptied and the roads went quite .

I was too young to see him fight but as a young boy we all wanted to be Billy Walker he was the local golden boy round my way and a West Ham icon for years after he packed up,he was managed by his brother George who was a good businessman but will never be forgiven for turning Hendon Dog Track into Brent Cross Shopping Centre ?

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

He was embarrassed,humiliated into quitting.....it would be like me playing a darts match with Michael Van Gerwen eventually im going to throw my darts on the floor and say " f**k all this "........for me Duran was just about the epitome of what a fighting man should be.

I totally understand you gnash. But he was always a dirty f****r. Yes, he walked away from leonard cos he was frustrated, more than anything else, not cowardice. But you can't condone the amount of severe low blows he threw on purpose throughout his career. Why is it ok for him to do that, yet when someone else does it they get warnings  points taken off or whatever. Nah, he was good, but he wasn't a great in my eyes

16 hours ago, shaaark said:

As we speak, I'm listening to frank warren, ANOTHER promoter.

I've boxed, and I'm sure many of us on this forum have. But f**k ME!! When we're young and know f**k ALL, looking back, would you trust ANY c**t like that?!! I know 100% fact, I wouldn't lol

I think its hilarious listening to Frank Warren now i like the guy but its like listening to a bitter old man eaten up with jealousy all the opinions he had 20 years ago he has gone back on he just cant accept Matchroom are now the big players i heard him say the other day its sad that Eddie Hearn is selling his show in America he seems to forget how hard he worked to get Don King on side all them years ago.

People forget the skullduggery thats always gone on its nothing new all thats new is the transparency through the internet... it was a closed shop back then if Don King was operating today he wouldnt last 2 weeks !

• Like 1
17 hours ago, MickC said:

Out of them all Hagler Leonard Hearns Duran it was Hagler who had the best record and only lost to one of them controversially. When debating/comparing these four fighters you realise how poor todays boxing really is.

Going by record against each other Leonards was far superior he was the only one of them to beat all of the other 3.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, MickC said:

Come on Gnash over 30 warnings from ref Steele in the first fight for holding and not even a point taken ! Two of the judges had it either way 115/113 but the other judge had it 118/110 ! It was Hagler who pushed for the immediate rematch but he got sick of waiting after playing Leonards silly games for years to get the first fight.Hagler took the loss very bad and left America and moved to Italy where he still lives. Hagler had a deep resentment for Leonard from them turning pro,Hagler got $50 for his first fight and Leonard $50.000 as he was the golden boy of American boxing after Ali,Hagler in turn said he had to fight for every penny. Leonard also liked the dice loaded in his favour with a lot of his fights,rounds fought,ring size,catch weights etc a lot like Mayweather and Canelo today. Dont get me wrong Leonard was an elite fighter but if the ref had done his job instead of allowing Leonard to get away with the constant fouling Hagler would have won that fight a lot clearer.Gnash I knew as soon as I mentioned Hagler v Leonard that it would kick this thread off as its still one of if not the most hotly debated fights in boxing history lol.

Mick fights are not scored on what a referee should have done Hagler was confused and couldnt find him the whole fight while Leonard was putting rounds in the bank,Hagler didnt win a round until the 5th....Angelo Dundee completely out maneuvered the Petronellis all they were telling Hagler between rounds was " get rough with him " i remember the fight like it was yesterday i dont know if you are old enough to of been around to watch it back then but i remember it wasnt shown live on Uk tv we didnt see it here until a few weeks later but i remember just seeing still pictures on the news the day after and thinking it went exactly how i thought it would Hagler was the solid rock getting peppered with flurries,and remember nobody gave Leonard a chance in this fight he hadnt fought for 5 years while Hagler had been dominating.They was both past their best and yes Leonard was the nations darling but Hagler looked old and slow i didnt even have it a particularly close fight i had Leonard by 4 rounds if i remember right.

I might have to watch it again just for old times sake ?

Edited by gnasher16
1 hour ago, shaaark said:

I totally understand you gnash. But he was always a dirty f****r. Yes, he walked away from leonard cos he was frustrated, more than anything else, not cowardice. But you can't condone the amount of severe low blows he threw on purpose throughout his career. Why is it ok for him to do that, yet when someone else does it they get warnings  points taken off or whatever. Nah, he was good, but he wasn't a great in my eyes

You are right he wasnt a nice fighter or a nice man look at some of the personal things he said to Ray Leonard....and that was the smarts of Leonard he used all that and out thought his opponents,he knew how humiliating it would be to the macho image Duran had to be mocked,he knew he could no mas him.

No you cant condone his dirty tactics but boy could he fight....i quite like the fact he didnt try to be anything other than what he was a spiteful,horrible brute ?

• Like 3
53 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

You are right he wasnt a nice fighter or a nice man look at some of the personal things he said to Ray Leonard....and that was the smarts of Leonard he used all that and out thought his opponents,he knew how humiliating it would be to the macho image Duran had to be mocked,he knew he could no mas him.

No you cant condone his dirty tactics but boy could he fight....i quite like the fact he didnt try to be anything other than what he was a spiteful,horrible brute ?

You're obviously a big duran fan gnash, so what is your opinion on his win against buchanan? Putting favouritism aside, what do you think should've happened? Not judges, refs or whatever, your own personal opinion