Old boxing matches

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cheers, D.  

All the books are very good by Hagler Hearn Leonard. Hagler is my favourite fighter and I still dont accept it that Leonard beat him but he did get the decision. Over 30 warnings for holding though an

Im Offshore at moment so cant post a Youtube link but that Ali v Foreman fight is good,Ring Magazine fight of the year 1974  but nothing compared to the Lyle v Foreman fight .We all know Foremans pedi

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Rusty_terrier said:

Gatti ward is hard to beat

Even by Gatti,s own standards his fights with Ward where legendary,every time Gatti fought he gave it everything, a shame how it all ended for Gatti .

Edited by MickC
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, gnasher16 said:

And apart from the fact Hagler barely laid a glove on him and when he did Leonard had the last of every exchange.....my thoughts have always been if Hagler really felt he won he would of pushed for a return but he just said f**k it im out of here and you never hear from him again.....we all see fights different though ?

Come on Gnash over 30 warnings from ref Steele in the first fight for holding and not even a point taken ! Two of the judges had it either way 115/113 but the other judge had it 118/110 ! It was Hagler who pushed for the immediate rematch but he got sick of waiting after playing Leonards silly games for years to get the first fight.Hagler took the loss very bad and left America and moved to Italy where he still lives. Hagler had a deep resentment for Leonard from them turning pro,Hagler got $50 for his first fight and Leonard $50.000 as he was the golden boy of American boxing after Ali,Hagler in turn said he had to fight for every penny. Leonard also liked the dice loaded in his favour with a lot of his fights,rounds fought,ring size,catch weights etc a lot like Mayweather and Canelo today. Dont get me wrong Leonard was an elite fighter but if the ref had done his job instead of allowing Leonard to get away with the constant fouling Hagler would have won that fight a lot clearer.Gnash I knew as soon as I mentioned Hagler v Leonard that it would kick this thread off as its still one of if not the most hotly debated fights in boxing history lol.

Edited by MickC
  • Like 3
5 hours ago, shaaark said:

In fact, 1st of all, hagler v anyone lol. Both the benn v eubank fights. Just for pure ability, calzaghi v lacy, calzaghi v jones jr

Calzaghe v Lacy was a boxing master class,this is the fight that caught America's attention.Calzaghe beat an old faded Jones who still managed to put him over in the first round. Jones was told by so many top people In the fight game to retire after he beat Ruiz for the WBA Heavyweight belt as his body would never be the same again but he could not walk away from boxing and the rest is history. Calzaghe was good but Jones was on another level,just look at all the top HOF fighters who Jones fought and beat in all the different divisions,I honestly don't think that a prime/pre Heavyweight Jones could be beat. If he had retired after winning the WBA Heavyweight belt he would have arguably been regarded as the goat,but like I say he could not walk away and fought on for years a shadow of his former self .

Edited by MickC
4 hours ago, shaaark said:

Hagler my favourite fighter also. And  in my mind, he beat leonard by two points, but what the f**k do I know lol

Hagler mine too....lol

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

Hagler mine too....lol

Out of them all Hagler Leonard Hearns Duran it was Hagler who had the best record and only lost to one of them controversially. When debating/comparing these four fighters you realise how poor todays boxing really is.

Edited by MickC
  • Like 3
8 minutes ago, MickC said:

Calzaghe v Lacy was a boxing master class,this is the fight that caught Americas attention.Calzaghe beat an old faded Jones who still managed to put him over in the first round. Jones was told by so many top people In the fight game to retire after he beat Ruiz for the Heavyweight belt as his body would never be the same again but he could not walk away from boxing and the rest is history. Calzaghe was good but Jones was on another level,just look at all the top fighters who Jones fought and beat in all the different divisions,I honestly don't think that a prime Jones could be beat. If he had retired after winning the Heavyweight belt he would have arguably been regarded as the goat,but like I say he could not walk away and fought on for years a shadow of his former self .

Jones was never really a light heavyweight, never mind a heavyweight.  That just shows how bad the guys were in those division at the time. Any fighter of any weight can be dropped in the first couple of rounds, don't you know?! Lol

• Like 1
1 minute ago, shaaark said:

Jones was never really a light heavyweight, never mind a heavyweight.  That just shows how bad the guys were in those division at the time. Any fighter of any weight can be dropped in the first couple of rounds, don't you know?! Lol

Jones had some A+ god given talent,speed,reflexes,ability and boxing iq he really was top drawer . Toney Hopkins Griffin Malinga Mcallum Grant Hill Tate Gonzalez he beat them with ease.Ruiz may not have been the best of Heavyweights but it still was an achievement considering Jones started out at Middleweight.

• Like 2

As we speak, I'm listening to frank warren, ANOTHER promoter.

I've boxed, and I'm sure many of us on this forum have. But f**k ME!! When we're young and know f**k ALL, looking back, would you trust ANY c**t like that?!! I know 100% fact, I wouldn't lol

• Like 1

there's a couple of fights {not that old though} i enjoyed watching......the first is ....Michael Gomez beating that Scottish twat Alex Arthur.....and then the Diego Corrales vs José Luis Castillo fight, that was a good one......

• Like 1

personally think honeyghans win over curry the best by a British boxer on foreign soil. also all this talk over Joshua quitting well the great Duran jacked against Leonard yet thats forgotten. 

1 hour ago, fred90 said:

personally think honeyghans win over curry the best by a British boxer on foreign soil. also all this talk over Joshua quitting well the great Duran jacked against Leonard yet thats forgotten. 

No mas!

Cheers, D.

• Like 1