Old boxing matches

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cheers, D.  

All the books are very good by Hagler Hearn Leonard. Hagler is my favourite fighter and I still dont accept it that Leonard beat him but he did get the decision. Over 30 warnings for holding though an

Im Offshore at moment so cant post a Youtube link but that Ali v Foreman fight is good,Ring Magazine fight of the year 1974  but nothing compared to the Lyle v Foreman fight .We all know Foremans pedi

Posted Images

Robinson v Lamotta ( St Valentines Day Massacre )

Gatti v Ward the first one

No way Hagler beat Leonard....Leonard by at least 2 rounds maybe 3

Benn/McClellen takes some beating for pure savagery.

Lloyd v Curry for sheer confidence in your ability

For me Hagler/Hearns has always been the greatest fight of all time though.

1 minute ago, gnasher16 said:

Robinson v Lamotta ( St Valentines Day Massacre )

Gatti v Ward the first one

No way Hagler beat Leonard....Leonard by at least 2 rounds maybe 3

Benn/McClellen takes some beating for pure savagery.

Lloyd v Curry for sheer confidence in your ability

For me Hagler/Hearns has always been the greatest fight of all time though.

Hagler beat leonard ? 

Lol it's all subjective gnash, apart from the bent, paid judges lol ?

Edited by shaaark
2 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Hagler beat leonard ? 

Lol it's all subjective gnash, apart from the bent, paid judges lol ?

And apart from the fact Hagler barely laid a glove on him and when he did Leonard had the last of every exchange.....my thoughts have always been if Hagler really felt he won he would of pushed for a return but he just said f**k it im out of here and you never hear from him again.....we all see fights different though ?

3 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

And apart from the fact Hagler barely laid a glove on him and when he did Leonard had the last of every exchange.....my thoughts have always been if Hagler really felt he won he would of pushed for a return but he just said f**k it im out of here and you never hear from him again.....we all see fights different though ?

You obviously more of a leonard fan then lol. I personally think hagler was so f****d off with the loss in that fight in the twilight of his career, he chose to do the right thing. Don't get me wrong, I obviously know leonard's  also a legend ?

13 minutes ago, shaaark said:

You obviously more of a leonard fan then lol. I personally think hagler was so f****d off with the loss in that fight in the twilight of his career, he chose to do the right thing. Don't get me wrong, I obviously know leonard's  also a legend ?

Not a fan of either mate both had qualities i admire its just how i saw that fight.

This new " I am Duran " thing coming out on film looks good you heard about it Shark ?

3 hours ago, MickC said:

Im Offshore at moment so cant post a Youtube link but that Ali v Foreman fight is good,Ring Magazine fight of the year 1974  but nothing compared to the Lyle v Foreman fight .We all know Foremans pedigree but Ron Lyle was a gang member and jailed at 19 for 15-25 years for a second degree murder.He learned to box in jail and lost his first fight but never lost another prison boxing match again ! After a brief amateur career and boxing for USBA he turned pro at 30 !! but was still a formidable opponent for anybody in arguably the greatest era in Heavyweight Boxing. Who knows what he could have achieved if he had been fortunate enough to turn pro a lot younger. Foreman v Lyle was a classic and Lyle was fighting the original nasty version of Foreman not the cuddly,lovely come backing Foreman as most people remember him. The full fight is on Youtube and only 5 rounds but it was Brutal !! and Ring Magazine fight of the year 1976 , well worth a watch .Two old school tough guys going at it,put todays fighters to shame .

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Lyle

Absolutely smashing fight between 2 hard c u n t s that both wanted it, just foreman was harder,  ya can certainly see why it was voted best of that year, I think Gerry coney kod Ron Lyle too in a bad way. Another couple of great fights was Dempsey v Tunney and Marciano v joe Walcott where Marciano was behind on all cards and he called on suzie q

54 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

Not a fan of either mate both had qualities i admire its just how i saw that fight.

This new " I am Duran " thing coming out on film looks good you heard about it Shark ?

No I haven't yet mate, but will check it out ?

58 minutes ago, Lenmcharristar said:

Absolutely smashing fight between 2 hard c u n t s that both wanted it, just foreman was harder,  ya can certainly see why it was voted best of that year, I think Gerry coney kod Ron Lyle too in a bad way. Another couple of great fights was Dempsey v Tunney and Marciano v joe Walcott where Marciano was behind on all cards and he called on suzie q

Marciano COULD NOT BOX ?

4 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Marciano COULD NOT BOX ?

Well he defo was no Ali haha but he had a killer punch and could take a hiding and come back n win back in his day boats were made of wood and the men were made of steel, he was a hard man

9 minutes ago, Lenmcharristar said:

Well he defo was no Ali haha but he had a killer punch and could take a hiding and come back n win back in his day boats were made of wood and the men were made of steel, he was a hard man

Yes he was a hard man, but realistically he DID lose a few fights  don't care what even his biggest fans say.

Just because someone has an unbeaten record, ESPECIALLY WHEN BOXING WAS RUN BY THE MAFIA, doesn't mean they are a great, ubeaten boxer. Far from it ?

Edited by shaaark
5 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Yes he was a hard man, but realistically he DID lose a few fights  don't care what even his biggest fans say.

Just because someone has an unbeaten record, ESPECIALLY WHEN BOXING WAS RUN BY THE MAFIA, doesn't mean they are a great, ubeaten boxer. Far from it ?

I don’t doubt the corruption in the fight game, but I also don’t doubt the mans ability to hit and put to sleep, even the greatest had a dodgy fight against sonny liston where rumour has it he was being pressured from other sources to throw that fight

• Like 1